Indulgences

In order to obtain a plenary indulgence, what is the timeframe in which someone must make a confession and receive communion? The only answe I could find online was ‘a few days’

I think it is at the earliest possible convenience.

If your priest is not hearing confessions until Saturday and today were Monday, then that’s satisfactory. I’ll see if I can look it up, though.

In the Enchiridion on Indulgences, it says “several” days. The US Bishops have said (or so I was told at mass today) that this should be interpreted as “seven days” for our purposes here.

I was once told that if one went to daily mass and communion [interpreted as 4-5 times a week] monthly confession sufficed. However, I have never been able to confirm that.

Thank you all! especially Boston Catholic!

Other Indulgence possibilities.

Indulgence on the Camino:
Walk at least the last 100k. The next Holy Years will be 2010, 2021, 2027 and 2032, a plenary Indulgence may be possible in ordinary years on Easter Sunday; 21st April (the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral); and on St James’s three feast days (23 May - the Apparition; 25 July - his martyrdom; and 30 December - the translation of the relics).

a) visit the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral and pray (attending Mass fulfils this condition);

b) receive the sacrament of Confession (in the Cathedral or in another church, within fifteen days before or after one’s visit to the Apostle’s tomb, with the same intention;

c) receive Communion, preferably in the sanctuary. The Jubilee, in addition, can be applied to our personal sins or to those of the dead.

It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope’s intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act.

(Emphasis added)

Apostolic Penitentary
"The Gift of the Indulgence"
. . .Did this norm apply only to the Indulgences granted during the Great Jubilee or does it apply in perpetuity, so that even today a plenary indulgence may be gained based on a confession made within “about 20 days before or after the indulgenced work” >>, it is responded: Negative as far as the first part, Affirmative as far as the second. . . .

(Emphasis added)
Apostolic Penitentiary
"The Norm of Confession for Gaining a Plenary Indulgence"

Vincent - Thanks - Joe

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.