Indult to practice canon law

I was interested to read recently that a significant number of people practice canon law by indult rather than a JCL/STD. Does anyone know someone who is in this position, and what training they had? Is there a process similar to ‘reading for orders’ for canon lawyers? The expense of the schools puts me off of pursuing the degree. Or is there a program that will pay for the education?

[quote="hieroglyph, post:1, topic:311023"]
I was interested to read recently that a significant number of people practice canon law by indult rather than a JCL/STD. Does anyone know someone who is in this position, and what training they had? Is there a process similar to 'reading for orders' for canon lawyers? The expense of the schools puts me off of pursuing the degree. Or is there a program that will pay for the education?

[/quote]

Hello,

The Apostolic Signatura (Cardinal Burke, ultimately) is the authority who handles these "indults" and it has become less inclined to grant them over the past few years. I am not sure where you live so perhaps the Signatura would be more willing to grant the indult to you if you are in a country which is gravely lacking in degreed canonists and it is exceptionally difficult to obtain a degree. For the USA, though, the indults are drying up because the Signatura wants to "make" people study the law and earn the JCL/JCD. I don't know what the Signatura would require (as far as education short of a degree) in order to grant the indult.

As for a program that will pay--I don't know of any. You may get some assistance from a diocese in return for a certain number of years of "service." There are a few scholarships available... Also, know that some schools are more affordable than others (in other words, Catholic University of America is way more expensive than, say, any school in Rome or St. Paul's in Ottawa).

Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.