Indult traditionalists wary of new Pope?

I have several friends who attend an indult parish a hundred miles away. It seems some in that community fear the new Pope will freeze if not cut back on the indult. Supposedly he is too much of a reform of the reform prelate and not too disposed to creating more indult parishes?

I don’t know how to answer them. Does someone have info on this? Even the indult parish they are in has become more “radicalized” in recent years as they see a conspiracy by Rome against them. Its sad as the folks I know in the parish were devout orthodox catholics at one time but seem to be moving to schism (IMO). It does not help that this is a very liberal diocese where anything goes parish to parish with “friendship blessings and such and they use that to confirm their 'paranoia”.

Any ideas on if the new Pope will allow the 20 or so indult parishes to continue? I would hate to see these indult groups go into schism.

What’s indult?

Indult means the local Bishop allows for its celebration. It means the TLM is licit under Ecclesia Dei.

[quote=Randy2]Any ideas on if the new Pope will allow the 20 or so indult parishes to continue? I would hate to see these indult groups go into schism.
[/quote]

Those attached, including myself, to the TLM should have much higher hopes than your friends.

In a quote from his book, Salt of the Earth, now Benedict XVI states about the TLM:

“I am of the opinion, to be sure, that the old rite should be granted much more generously to all those who desire it. It’s impossible to see what could be dangerous or unacceptable about that.”

Thanks - I will use that quote. I think they may be among a radicalized group. Guess some in the FSSP are upset that their expansion (addition) of new indult parishes in the US has sort of ground to a halt in the past few years. My friends think that is on purpose as they claim there are enough FSSP priests ot open 2 indult pairhes every year or so.

Ah, c’mon! Even the Remnant Fortnightly is hopeful.

and the self marginalized

[quote=Randy2]I have several friends who attend an indult parish a hundred miles away. It seems some in that community fear the new Pope will freeze if not cut back on the indult. Supposedly he is too much of a reform of the reform prelate and not too disposed to creating more indult parishes?

I don’t know how to answer them. Does someone have info on this? Even the indult parish they are in has become more “radicalized” in recent years as they see a conspiracy by Rome against them. Its sad as the folks I know in the parish were devout orthodox catholics at one time but seem to be moving to schism (IMO). It does not help that this is a very liberal diocese where anything goes parish to parish with “friendship blessings and such and they use that to confirm their 'paranoia”.

Any ideas on if the new Pope will allow the 20 or so indult parishes to continue? I would hate to see these indult groups go into schism.
[/quote]

I find this rubbish. I attend a Indult Parish about once a month and I was glad our new pope was elected. Incidentally, the number of Indult parishes is around 120 in the U.S, not 20.

No, I’m referring to full blown parishes that are dedicated to the indult only. There are 20 or so. I think your are referring to indult Masses allowed at various locations. My friends attend a parish that is soley an indult community.

Traditionalists need not be worried. It is my understanding that we all wanted Ratzinger to be the next Pope. Ratizinger has been extremely supportive of the TLM. And if any were Pope, it would be Ratzinger who most likely will grant what the SSPX wants, that every priest has the right to celebrate the TLM, thereby eliminating the Indult and allowing the TLM anywhere and everywhere as an “option” in not just chapels but regular parishes on a regular basis.

Ken

Benedict XVI himself said he wants to bring some of the Traditions that were lost in VII back into the church, i.e. more Latin use etc.

Have no fear for the Indult Mass, I think it can only grow under our new Papa!

I attend a parish (St. Michael’s of Oklahoma City, OK) once a month that only offers mass from the 1962 Missal. Our chapel only offers the Tridentine mass under authority of Ecclesia Dei(Daily as well as 3 masses on Sunday-High,Low, and Low respectively). I have never noticed this paranoa you speak of. In fact, the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of OKC the honorable Eusebius Beltran has attended several times and was impressed with the level of Catechisis of our confirmation canidates. In fact, the our archbishop was featured in the national newsletter of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP) a few months ago. St. Michaels, a Latin Mass community actually devotes more real time and resources to prolife activities than other regular parishes in the same area that I have ben too. I never encountered anything but orthodoxy. I think some that want to kill off the indult and will try to find a few bad apples among the Indult crowd.

I would say a majority of American Catholic parishes celebreating the Mass of Pope Paul VI are also radicalized too if recent polls are accurate since 78% of American Catholics say they will follow their own consciences instead of the teachings of the new pope on moral issues. I personally know of a parish about 30 miles from me celebrating the new mass whose priest will not allow the Catechism of the Catholic Church to be used in religious education classes. My late father (who was very orthodox) co-taught RCIA with a woman who could not wait to be ordained and tried to pass on this view to all future RCIA canidates.

[quote=Randy2]I have several friends who attend an indult parish a hundred miles away. It seems some in that community fear the new Pope will freeze if not cut back on the indult. Supposedly he is too much of a reform of the reform prelate and not too disposed to creating more indult parishes?

Sad to say, some of these folks are rather paranoid. They sometimes exhibit the “Henny, Penny” syndrome–the sky is always falling.

Micki
[/quote]

Like John paul II says, Don´t be afraid

[quote=ddimitro]Those attached, including myself, to the TLM should have much higher hopes than your friends.

In a quote from his book, Salt of the Earth, now Benedict XVI states about the TLM:

“I am of the opinion, to be sure, that the old rite should be granted much more generously to all those who desire it. It’s impossible to see what could be dangerous or unacceptable about that.”
[/quote]

Yeah, but at the same token Bishop Williamson wrote a letter four years ago stating that during negotiations Cardinal Ratzinger didn’t want priests being able to choose to celebrate either the Novus Ordo and/or Tridentine Mass. He wants it more “generous” but how? The system now stinks honestly where you have to basically lick the bishop’s shoes clean to get an indult - that’s if he would even consider having such a Mass anyway.

Adding a quote for proof;

“Apparently the “excommunication” seemed to the heads of Dicasteries on March 22 to present no great problem - by means of discussions it could at any time be talked out of the way. But the release of the Tridentine rite of Mass so that any priest would be free to celebrate it whenever he liked, seemed altogether more difficult. Cardinal Castrillón told our Superior in Italy that a strong majority of the Cardinals present was opposed, including Cardinal Ratzinger. To prove his point, the latter brandished in his hand on this or a similar occasion a copy of the new book that the SSPX has just brought out, which depth-charges Pope Paul’s new Mass of 1969.”

sspxafrica.com/documents/2001_May/Bishop_Williamson_Letter_.htm

[quote=ddimitro]Those attached, including myself, to the TLM should have much higher hopes than your friends.

[/quote]

A friend of mine attends an indult parish here in Chicago. She sent me an e-mail the pastor sent around yesterday. The pastor had the opportunity to concelebrate a mass with the then Cardinal Ratzinger several years ago and to briefly discuss the Latin Mass.

The Pope was quite interested in what the parish was doing and was supportive.

I doubt the Pope will require a return to the Latin Mass (and even though I occasionally go to an indult parish, I would oppose such a requirement). But I do hope he makes it easier for parishes to offer the Latin Mass, either with a general indult or directions to the Bishops to more freely grant indults.

Our Bishop hasn’t allowed ONE indult mass yet. I’ve NEVER attended a Latin Mass before, but would love to. Closest indult mass is 100 miles away!

[quote=Randy2]No, I’m referring to full blown parishes that are dedicated to the indult only. There are 20 or so. I think your are referring to indult Masses allowed at various locations. My friends attend a parish that is soley an indult community.
[/quote]

I can’t imagine anyone devoted to the Tridentine Mass being unhappy with the choice of our new Pope. Who would be better? I attend one of those 20 full blown parishes and everyone I know was praying for Cardinal Ratzinger to be chosen. He is more conservative than John Paul. He was ready to regularize the status of the SSPX back in '88. He was perhaps the most responsible for us having the indult in the first place.

I think that this is a process, and few to few it could be possible, is necessary seminarians, isn´t it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.