Inexpensive Douay Rheims

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could recommend an inexpensive version in print of the Douay-Rheims Bible for less than 30 dollars or if someone could show me where to find such an inexpensive used Bible. Also, if anyone has an extra Douay Rheims Bible that they would be interested in giving away, please let me know!

God's blessings!

Landon

This link is for new copies from independent booksellers via Amazon -

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1935302051/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

This link is for used copies from independent booksellers via Amazon -

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1935302051/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Both links have copies starting around $19.00

freecatholicebooks.com/books/holybiblecatholic.pdf

Here are three for under $10 including shipping:

ebay.com/itm/Damaged-Holy-Bible-Douay-Confraternity-1949-Scriptures-Christian-Latin-Vulgate-/221246117644?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item33834bd70c

ebay.com/itm/Catholic-Holy-Bible-Douay-Challoner-Confraternity-Text-Old-Book-1950-BKZZ-QQZZ-/370841215190?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item5657dbe0d6

ebay.com/itm/CATHOLIC-DOUAY-VERSION-BIBLE-Confraternity-Version-Douay-Vintage-HARDCOVER-/171062734063?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item27d4222cef

Just a FYI, all of the E-Bay links were to what’s called the Douay-Confraternity Bible (OT is partly or fully the Douay Rheims translation, but the NT is the Confraternity translation). All of the E-Bay linked Bibles have at least the Confraternity re-translation of the Psalms; the last one on the list is most of the OT re-translated).

Here’s a link to Wikipedia’s article on the Confraternity edition and when various books were re-translated in the edition. The title page of all the confraternity bibles I’ve seen indicate which books have been re-translated and aren’t Douay (the re-translations of the OT would be very close to the NAB translation).

I think the Confraternity edition NT is an easier read than the original D-R NT, but keeps enough of the old english to still feel like you’re still reading a D/R NT. I know I’ve enjoyed having the Confraternity version and my D/R sits on the shelf now (I won’t get rid of it, as it was a confirmation gift from my sponsor and has that sentimental value - Thanks Melissa!)

Hope that helps.

Not inexpensive, but very interesting. I may have to get this. :smiley:

drbible.org/

I've got a compact old copy that I will send you if you want. No charge! Its old and not in perfect shape. Its a Challoner Version.

Hello!

I would be interested in that. I sent an email to you on your profile. If that doesn’t work, please PM me.

Thanks!

Landon

EWTN also sells the Confraternity NT.

Just a heads up… I was in my local Barnes & Noble today and they had boxed “First Communion” versions in their bargain books area of the Douay Rheims for $20 I think it was. Looked to be softcover but couldn’t see a lot since it was boxed. They had black & white cover options.

Thanks for the info.** tvknight415**! I just purchased a black colored cover, DR/1st Communion edition at B&N today for $20! And it was by Saint Benedict Press. What a great deal!!! :thumbsup:

[quote="Hishumbleservan, post:11, topic:331044"]
Thanks for the info.** tvknight415**! I just purchased a black colored cover, DR/1st Communion edition at B&N today for $20! And it was by Saint Benedict Press. What a great deal!!! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Happy to be of service. Hope you enjoy it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.