Inexpensive Monastic Diurnal

Hello,

I have enjoyed praying the LOTH using the one volume Christian Prayer and I have moved to using some of the various Latin-English versions of some of the Roman Breviaries online or on my iPhone/iPad.

I was wondering if there is an inexpensive monastic diurnal that follows along the psalms that monasteries pray that I could order online (less than $40-50 and one volume only)

Or, if anyone has an extra that they are no longer using or can recommend a used copy of it anywhere, I would really appreciate if you could help me out.

God bless!

Landon

Monastic Diurmal? Yes: Monastic Diurnal

Inexpensive? Alas, no.

I have a Monastic Breviary (pre-Vatican II) all in Latin, and two post-Vatican II breviaries (Original Benedictine schema, Latin-French and noted for chant, and the newer Schema B-150 psalms per week-in French), plus a couple of not-available-to-the-public Latin-French noted books to chant Lauds and Vespers in Gregorian chant.

Not willing to part with any of them! :D

[quote="OraLabora, post:2, topic:335788"]
Monastic Diurmal? Yes: Monastic Diurnal

Inexpensive? Alas, no.

I have a Monastic Breviary (pre-Vatican II) all in Latin, and two post-Vatican II breviaries (Original Benedictine schema, Latin-French and noted for chant, and the newer Schema B-150 psalms per week-in French), plus a couple of not-available-to-the-public Latin-French noted books to chant Lauds and Vespers in Gregorian chant.

Not willing to part with any of them! :D

[/quote]

Are you sure about that??? :D I'd be willing to learn french ;)

Go to this website: www.divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl

It has a free, online version of the pre-Vatican II Breviarium Romanum. If you click "pre Trident Monastic" then it will display the Hours as they are according to the Rule of St. Benedict, though with this flaw:

The pre-Tridentine Monastic version is an attempt to illustrate the Benedictine Breviary, as it is described in the Regula of St Benedict, with the exception that for lack of resources only 9 lessons are included for Sundays and Feasts instead of 12 lessons.

I hope that helps :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.