Infallible Documents on Same Sex Sex

I have a feeling that I might get into a discussion with a person close to me on this topic one day and as such I’m wondering if there are any ex cathedra documents from a pope that mention homosexual coitus (or any of the other sexual sins) as sin.

Hi, I know this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but it looks like you could use some information on infallibility.

canonlawmadeeasy.com/2011/02/17/when-does-the-pope-speak-infallibly/

cuf.org/2002/11/pillar-and-bulwark-of-the-truth-the-infallibility-magisterium-of-the-catholic-church/

TL;DR: Only two ex cathedra statements have ever been made, and both are about Mary. An ex cathedra declaration by the pope is not needed for a teaching of the Church to be infallible.

The Catechism is a legitimate resource.

Hopefully others will be able to give you more specific information.

Nothing is more ex cathedra than the Bible:

1 Corinthians 6:9-20

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”[a] 17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.**

18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.**

1 Timothy 9-11:

[quote] 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

1 Romans 24-27:

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

If you want something from the Vatican, try:
CDF: PERSONA HUMANA: DECLARATION ON CERTAIN QUESTIONS CONCERNING SEXUAL ETHICS (1975)
[/quote]

Everything that is taught via the normal magisterium of the Church may be considered to be infallible teaching. Thus, the catechism.

I would guess that the Popes decided that such an ex cathedra statement would be unnecessary, and possibly counter-productive. But there are certainly documents in general about homosexual and heterosexual sins.

Sacred Scripture…the inspired Word of God is rather clear.

Why are there still groups (new ways ministry etc) campaigning to change it then like they believe it’s possible? Genuine question.

Scripture is clear. One more thing:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

Ed

Because they are unwilling to accept the truth and instead are trying to change it. But it isn’t a political issue and it isn’t open for discussion or legislating.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.