Infallibly interpreted Bible verses

Hi Everyone,

I came back to the church about a month ago so I am still getting grounded in the faith. What would be a good response as to why there are so few Bible verses infallibly interpreted by the church? I was asked this the other day, but was not sure how to respond. Thank you.

If you actually read your Bible (as I have) I think you’ll find that teh vast majority of it doesn’t need much is any at all.

I agree with you, but is that the answer to give a rapid anti-catholic?

I am not sure what you mean. The Bible is more than infallible, it is the inspired word of God. Do you mean verses not interpreted** literally**?

Your answer should be that only your friend’s pastor gives an infallible interpretation of scripture. The Catholic Church is loathe to do that.

One can look at Holy Scripture as a foundation for Divine Revelation. Divine Revelation has been expressed as doctrines during the major ecumenical Catholic Church Councils. The protocol for these Councils includes intense study of Holy Scripture.

Practically speaking, Scripture verses present evidence which is examined with the guidance and wisdom of the promised Holy Spirit. The Council puts together all the evidence for a particular infallible doctrine. Thus, we look for infallible doctrines and not necessarily individual verses.

A quick way to find Scripture evidence is to use the Index of Citations, Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, beginning on page 689.

I have read, before, that there are about 12 verses/passages which have been given an infallible interpretation. I assume this is what you are referring to?

I’m not sure that this is even properly/specifically Taught by the Church, but those passages are probably, and nevertheless, interpreted with a high degree of authority.

I will try to find the resource I have read them in the past when I have more time. But for now, I would like to address your question.

The Church has relied on these passages to establish and support the ministry entrusted to her by the Lord. These passages in particular support most all doctrine. To contradict them in teaching and practice is to do the same to the whole of Scripture. It is not necessary to interpret all passages, but to look at Scripture as a whole and complete message. What is important is that we do not pit Scripture against Scripture.

Also, many passages can convey more than one concept, and support more than one article of faith. These few passages you are referring to are not necessarily restricted to one particular interpretation, but the one confirmed by the Church is the primary message and any other conclusions from them cannot contradict what the Church has manifested.

That makes perfect sense to me. Sorry if I wasn’t to clear, but that answer cleared it up. Appreciate it.

It would work for me my friend mainly because it throws it back on them to explain and defend why they feel there need to be so many.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that many of these fundamentalist types try to do exactly that in their teaching and preaching which is kinda weird when one considers that they are also the ones who tell us that all they need is a Bible to understand the gospel and “get saved”. That kinda makes you want to http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/17.gif because it neither makes sense or works in reality.:shrug:

But I think the best bet is to chuck it back at them and make them justify why they feel they need so many the way they do. If they answer you at all I suspect it will be something that makes even less sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.