Infant baptism: choosing godparents

I’m a single mother whose son just turned one year old. He hasn’t yet been baptized – not for lack of desire on my part, but because his father is still dragging his feet, despite me hounding him for a year and a half. We’re both Catholic and attend the same parish, but we move in different circles and don’t have any parish friends in common. I know it’s okay to have only one godparent, but is it also acceptable for us to choose two separate godparents who aren’t married or related, I choose one and he chooses the other? Also, can I expect any problems about baptising DS so late? Thanks for your help!

Yes to all your questions. You can have only one godparent. If you have two, one must be male and one must be female. They don’t have to be married, they don’t even have to know each other. They must be Catholic and have received the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, Communion). Its usual for the mother to choose one and the father to choose the other one. If you have a non-Catholic Christian friend and you are only having one godparent, that non-Catholic can also stand as a Christian Witness. They do not have to be the opposite gender of the godparent because they are only a witness to the baptism and not a godparent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.