Infant Baptism - Circumcision

In talking with a fundamentalist about infant Baptism, I brought up that Baptism is the circumcision of Christ and that babies were circumcised at 8 days. She said girls are baptized now and were not circumcised.

How did Infant girls enter into God’s covenant. Was it through the father?

God Bless
Javier

Through keeping the Law.

Girls in the Jewish Religion were NEVER EVER PUT THROUGH CIRCUMCISION ONLY BOYS. AS THIS IS STATED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT THAT ONLY BOYS WERE TO BE MARKED SO. SO THIS MARKS THEM OUT AS THE CHOSEN PEOPLE OF GOD.

[edited]

You do know that there is more to it with the Law than just circumcision.

But javier could be right, if a girl’s father or husband becomes Jewish, then they are Jewish too. But that would be part of the Law, right? :wink:

You might find your answer in scripture. My understanding is that before Jesus came to die for our sins, we were held under custody of the law (including circumcision for boys). But once faith was revealed through Christ we began to be baptized into Him. Through this we become one in Christ and there is no longer male or female in the same way that there was under slavery of the law. Check out Galations 3, especially 23-28 - usccb.org/bible/galatians/3/

One’s status as a Jew is usually passed on through the mother, not the father in Orthodox Judaism, but I think in the Reformed tradition that may be different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.