infant baptism

i was raised a protestant. in the particular denomination i was raised in, i was taught that you don’t baptize babies. i just read the article on catholic answers about infant baptism and didn’t have a problem with what i read. funny thing is, i was taught that if someone (like a baby) didn’t make the decision and was baptized anyways, it didn’t mean anything. now that i think about it, if protestants really believe that, i wonder why they (we) have a problem with infant baptism. anyways, i was just wondering if anyone knew what the Church’s teaching on miscarriages/abortions is. my wife had a miscarriage years ago and to this day i wonder what that child would be like. i wonder if it’s heaven, waiting to see me, etc. does anyone know what the Church teaches about what happens to those that die before they can be baptized? thanks

Many Protestant denominations have no problem with it. I was born in the year 1944 in England. A few days later I was baptised by the Church Of England. :thumbsup:

In the USA I was Confirmed in the Lutheran Church, which also supported infant baptism. What demoninations were you in that did not support infant baptism “in the name of The father, and The Son, and the Holy Spirit”?:confused:

The question is this- do the Protestant Denominations, including the Lutherans believe that the Sacrament of Baptism washes away the Original sin?

If they do not believe that water baptism washes away Original Sin, then maybe that is why they don’t care about “christening” infants.

Ken

Unless they have changed their catechism since I learned it in the 1950’s, YES.

Straight from the Catechism of the CAtholic Church:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,” allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

Short answer–we don’t know what happens to the unbaptized.

I have an aunt who is Lutheran. Her Lutheran parish closed because of lack of membership. She started going to a Baptist Church. They told her she needed to be baptized to become a member. She told them that she already was baptized (as a baby), and then started going to another Lutheran parish (even though it was about 15 miles away, and the Baptist Church was only about 1/2 mile away). :thumbsup:

I also have a good friend who is Methodist. The Methodist Church believes in infant baptism. In fact, at the Methodist baptism service, the entire congregation basically answered the same thing that Catholics do at the Easter Mass (denouncing the devil and professing faith in the Church!). :thumbsup:

i was raised in the Church of Christ. they don’t believe in original sin, you only need to be saved from the sins you commit. why does the RCC teach that we have to be saved from original sin?
they also believe that water baptism saves you (has to be immersion) and if you died underwater… well, let’s just say it might be a good thing if you like to be REALLY hot.

The newer Catholic churches are being built with baptismal fonts that will enable baptism by immersion.

Excellent reading by Catholic Planet: catholicplanet.com/RCC/mystical-baptism.htm Please review. God Bless

Please review: ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur79.htm

Luke 18:15-17

15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he might touch them. Which when the disciples saw, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus, calling them together, said: Suffer children to come to me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 17 Amen, I say to you: Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a child, shall not enter into it.

John 3:3-5

3 Jesus answered, and said to him: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith to him: How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born again? 5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

I lost a baby and know others who have, too. And I hope that they all go to heaven. I don’t know what God is going to do and I don’t tell Him what he has to do, but I hope.

But whatever happens, I trust that Mary :heart: and my sweet Jesus will make sure it is the very best it can be! :slight_smile:

Ken, Lutherans do believe that baptism washes away original sin. I can speak to that because I was one before I became a Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.