Infant dedication

Should I attend an infant dedication for my grandson. I believe they are part of a baptist church.

There may be a problem if they were Catholic and were disobeying the Catholic Church, but as they are not Catholic I see no reason not to go.

Oh good heavens, yes! You should go and pray along with everyone there for your grandson’s growth in holiness and that he cleave to Christ throughout his life. As far as I remember (from decades ago), there is nothing contrary to the faith that will happen at an infant dedication in a Baptist church.

In your heart, include your prayers that your grandson will be baptized ASAP… which may be what those in the Baptist church will be praying for as well.

And congratulations on the birth of your grandson! :heart: :baby: :heart:

A Dedication is a Christian ceremony that dedicates the infant to God and welcomes the baby into the church. During this ceremony, the parents also dedicate themselves to raising the child as a Christian.

So, it’s pretty much like baptism, except there’s a chance they don’t believe in infant baptism, so they gotta call it something else and remove the sacramental aspect? :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations on your grandson! Go along and pray for him, that he can grow up to be the person God wants him to be! :heart:

Thank you for your response. I have tears in my eyes.

Of course !
It’s fun to celebrate things !
A little angel being splashed - and dedicated !
Say a powerful prayer - and grant him your blessing - with a big ole kiss too :innocent:

Yes, you should attend. You could also use it as an opportunity to promote the Catholic Faith. You can do this by asking questions about the ceremony. You can formulate those questions in a way to get the parents questioning why they are Baptist and perform this ceremony but don’t baptize infants. Of course if you do this be prudent.

Yes! I’m a former Baptist - both of my children were dedicated. As others have stated, it’s pretty much the same but without baptism. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith practice of the Baptist Church, the congregation promises to uphold and support the family in prayer. Often, the grandparents come up with the family. You’ll be promising to pray for them - so no problem there. Did your son/daughter ever attend a Catholic Church? Enjoy and celebrate and congratulations on your grandson.

Baptists don’t baptize infants??? St. Padre Pio said that one of the greatest grace of his life was actually being baptized on his birthday.

No they don’t. They don’t see baptism as a requirement for salvation.

Somewhat ironically, given their name.

A Catholic cannot participate in a non-Catholic ceremony. (Obviously, you have to go but one still can’t actively participate.) Baptism remits Original Sin and makes one a child of God and heir to heaven. A dedication ceremony does not. I was nervous for my niece who wasn’t baptized until she was about 3 months old. (This was in the last millennium.)

WOW. You totally blew me away with that one.

Go.

It’s not a bad thing to bless a baby. You would go if they were your friends since high school’s grandchild.

They are just trying to love, know and serve the Lord as baptists.

Don’t damage your relationship cause they are going to a different church. Heck if they were Jewish go to the bris. A baby should be celebrated and the parent’s saying they want God in the baby’s life is to be encouraged.

Congrats on the grandbaby.

No, they baptize (believers baptism) after one has been saved. Generally, there are some baptism classes and the church board of elders votes on approval. It used to be we had to wait for baptism until we were around 16, but now it can be early at 7. And not all are baptized as Baptists believe that baptism is not necessary for salvation. It’s purely an outward sign to men that you believe.

Are you saying the grandparents cannot join the family for prayer - promise to support them with prayer? It’s really not a denomination ceremony, just special prayer which everyone can agree with.

My son was raised in the Catholic faith. It has been a real struggle for me to watch him leave. He and his wife a wonderful faith community with their church and I know that is a major reason for him to want to be there. His wife, on the other hand, has been misinformed about our beliefs and I can’t seem to persuade her otherwise.

Thank you so much for your response. I am going to the ceremony with a smile on my face and a prayer in my heart. I need to always remind myself that God is in charge!!! Also, my daughter is having her baby baptized several weeks before and I’m hoping to use the occasion to talk about the differnces.

Marie

Which means that they don’t require baptism for salvation.

And they don’t baptize infants.

Some may do the act of baptism after making a commitment to Christ, but not all. That means they don’t believe it’s necessary.

God is in his heaven and all is right in the world. I’m so glad she is going.

To elaborate some on what I said I think often times asking questions is a great strategy. It is less threatening. And, if honest, it is a real attempt to understand the other person’s stance. I did this with my wife when I was thinking I needed to convert.

Very glad to read you’ll be attending the dedication. We had the same situation in our family. Though we were extremely saddened that our grandchild was not being baptized Catholic, we were glad they were going to be raised and nurtured as a Christian, and we attended the dedication. I continue to fervently pray asking for St. Monica’s and our Blessed Mother’s intercession that someday our son will return to the universal Catholic Church and that his child will eventually be baptized as a Catholic, too. As others have mentioned above, any opportunity to ask questions about their non-Catholic practices can be a good stepping-stone for planting seeds of thought regarding the awesome beauty and truth of Catholicism. May our dear Lord’s peace be with you always, no matter what! His plan isn’t always the same as ours, but He’s with us through every step.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.