Infidelity a reason for divorce

Why or why not?

Do you mean a secular divorce from the civil courts or an annulment granted by the Catholic Church?

I agree that your question is a bit vague, CRATUS.

Are you asking if it is legally grounds for a divorce, or are you asking if people would choose divorce if their spouse was unfaithful?

Catholics have always been allowed to separate from a badly-behaving spouse. Now that a legal process is necessary for the distribution of marital assets, care of the children, and related matters, Catholics are more easily permitted to divorce.

However, the decree of nullity is a totally separate thing, and necessary in order to be married after a divorce to someone else.

Since it is not a reason for obtaining an annulment, I would suppose that one is supposed to forgive and repair.
Easier said than done, probably. :coffeeread:
Very few people are able to forgive infidelity.

In of itself? No.

A pattern of infidelity may show a lack of intent for entering an exclusive relationship for life, but even if it is utterly repugnant it is not a “get out of jail free” card. Just because our spouse doesn’t honor their vow, does not automatically release us from our vows.

I am assuming you are talking about divorce and annulment from a Catholic perspective. Most places there are no grounds for divorce required in civil cases. You can divorce your spouse because they got fat, thin, dyed their hair or any other reason you can personally justify. How many people divorce because they “fell out of love” or became “bored” in their marriage?

Divorce -yes.

Remarriage - no. Even if you can’t live with your spouse because of his or her behaviour, doesn’t mean you never made those vows, or that because the other person broke them, you get to break them.

The Church teaches there are no grounds for divorce. Separation, even permanently , is allowed.
No man can put asunder what God hath joined together.
To my thinking an annulment is a determination of the parties faults in their understanding of what the marital vocation is. And if these faults make a true bond impossible.

Divorce is not an eternal word, but a cause of eternal disobedience to eternal law. Rather, we open our eyes to the possibility of divine and Magisterial unity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.