Inflated Verse

What do you call a single NT verse that quotes multiple OT verses? I think I heard Dr. Hahn call it a “conflat verse” or something to that effect…

I wouldn't call it anything, bearing in mind that the NT writers were not thinking in terms of chapters and verses, either when they read the tanakh scrolls nor when they were writing. Chapter and verse numbers were added more than a millennium later.

There is a term for quoting a number of short OT passages (we see it as verses or verse fragments) in succession, but I'll have to look that up and get back; too little time right now.

Conflation is the term, and describes a combining of 2 or more verses into a single idea. I can’t think of any examples off hand, but they are present in the NT.

It’s called conflation. An example is found in 1 Corinthians 2:9-10:

But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him,” God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.

Here St. Paul conflates two OT passages: Isaiah 64:4, in part a plea for a divine epiphany, along with Deuteronomy 29:4, a reproach for spiritual obtuseness, (Source: Letter and Spirit; Mary Healy, “A Study of Pauline Epistemology”, page 142)

‘Conflation’ that’s the word I was looking for! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.