Influence of the Media on Children and Adults

Here is some data over which I would like to hear CAF members opinions. The list is random and represents bits and pieces of what I read. If you ask me where and when, I would not be able to say.
[LIST=1]
*]The American Association of Pediatricians recommended that no children under 2 years of age be allowed to see TV.
*]When the season of American Football ends, it seems crime goes up;
*]The violence in TV may be use to sublimate our own inner demons;
*]Almost all the movies which are popular have 50% of violence and 50% or a love story;
*]The “manga” Japanese are extremely violent, yet crime is low in Japan;
*]some say that the former point it is because the Japanese Family is still united, or rather, the tendency for violence depends on the upbringing rather than on the Influence of the Media;
*]it seems that mental weaker are more prone to be influenced by the media;
*]some crimes are copy-cat of crimes depicted on movies.
[/LIST]

1. Not a bad idea
  2. Maybe this has to do with the weather? As it gets warmer, more people are outside interacting with each other, and hence more conflicts occur?:shrug:
  3. I can’t relate to this.
  4. I believe it
  5. Isn’t Manga a cartoon? There wasn’t much violence in the US when the only TV character getting blown up was Wiley E. Coyote.
  6. This makes sense, and I’m sure has a lot to do with it.
  7. Don’t know for sure, but I can believe it
  8. Definitely

I think there is a real problem in our culture with entertainment. It is difficult to find good entertainment for children, teens or adults.

This blending of morals makes it impossible or at least a major effort to find something with some moral value to be shown to families.

1.I’ve stayed away from TV for small children. I think they need to be out more in social groups. Even what they call educational TV is very boring and lacking in content.
2. I don’t know what football and crime have to do with each other - never heard this one.
3,4,4,6,7 - Violence and sex is very strong in most TV shows so I avoid most. The family intact in helpful. We can see by the latest bus monitor harassment video and this has been going on a long time - it just came out more public-- that kids are not the same as they use to be… And no this is not just an isolated group of some bad kids. This is America today.
8. I believe in copycat but don’t think they are common.

Obviously. Children are at their most impressionable when they’re at their most young.

Haha! Same thing happens here except it’s when the Pacman fights. :stuck_out_tongue:

That a fancy way of saying stress-relief? :shrug:

Tell that to the Avengers. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

:shrug:

And yet we have people on these boards using them as the standard for which television should be measured against. Sad. :mad:

Obviously a reflection of the previous point.

No, manga is the comic book counterpart (and most often origin) of anime.

And no, please don’t compare it to kiddie trash like the Looney Tunes. You say anime is for kids, you not only anger me but the entire otaku subculture.

Don’t underestimate us… for we are many!!! DX

:bigyikes: :frighten:

I hope this adequately relays my fear - I couldn’t find the “Running for my life!” emoticon. :smiley:

Well, you definitely should be. Anime and manga form their very own genre together. :stuck_out_tongue: Do not compare it to the likes of Hannah Barbera, Cartoon Network, or any other kiddie stuff you think cartoons stand for. Seriously. We get tired of that. -.-

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Lesson learned;)

Anime, tends to transcend age boundaries. :slight_smile:

Japan has a unique culture, with a strong emphasis on community and a individual’s responsibility to community. Remember, a year ago, a massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan left widespread devastation and civil disruption. Yet no looting occurred and those who were affected calmly, patiently, stood in line for hours to get relief. And did so day after day. Imagine that happening just about anywhere else in the world! :o

I suspect more individualistic cultures have higher crime rates.

Interesting, Dale. Why do you think this is?

Because I think most criminals are looking out for themselves, and are heedless of the cost they inflict on others. The cost is primarily borne, of course, by the victims of the crime. But an emotional cost is also borne by their relatives. And perhaps by others with whom they have relationships (say, friends or mentors at work or school)

An individualistic culture seems more likely to produce persons who are willing to chuck aside obligations to others.

This makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup: I guess there is an upside and downside to individualism.

Japan has a unique culture? I don’t know about that. During World War II, the British endured the bombings and stayed in the target areas, doing important war work and risking their lives, while sending their children away to safer parts of the country. Post-war rationing continued into the 1950s. Today, the British still get some harmless criticism when asked to queue up, get in line, for anything.

Peace,
Ed

Here is a good article:

calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=62c258ae-1971-4f19-9f93-e3ef013a9314

And a good book:

amazon.com/gp/product/B004FGLO46/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1932927948&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DWBVNVGYA5WH64SFM8F

Peace,
Ed

Garbage in, garbage out. If I eat tons of junk food I feel like garbage. If I watch too ,uch junk it does the same to my moral compass.

It is really hard to get my kids to do something that doesn’t involve a screen. Or burried in a book( I have a hard time with on kid who will spend all her free time hiding in a book)
Even if they are watching, or playing positive things, it’s what they are not doing, like interacting with others, or being creative.

As a bookworm who’s only received bullying from a majority of his attempts to ‘interact’, I would say socializing can be overrated.

P.S.

I don’t advocate living under a rock but I see a lot of irony when people complain about all the sin in media and society but at the same time, I find people who encourage social interaction like it’s a moral value in of itself.

Personally, I think I’ll just stick to making up my own mind from now on when it comes to anything social-related.

I was a bullied book worm too. She still needs to interact with her family and learn how to read social cues, and develop common sense. Also she needs to try hard things. I think reading is easier for her than developing a new hobby or skill she might not be good at but keeps trying and gets better at. She will start something, realize it’s harder than it looks then quit.

Yes one should make up their own mind, about social interactions.

Like I said, I don’t advocate living under a rock. Some people do need to get out on occasion. However, that has its limitations. Social interaction has its limitations. Don’t be closed to the idea that maybe, just maybe, your kid is really just a fish out of water.

I know I am at times. I interact with people on these boards more than I do offline. The reason? I just can’t find a lot of people outside CAF who like to talk about the same set of topics that I do. I can’t force other people to take my interests but I have rights to not bend my back to society all the time either.

Besides, I also don’t advocate unhealthy escapism. That doesn’t mean I don’t find real life boring and am not afraid of wishing it destabilized. One of my personal sayings is, “I know fantasy from reality. Reality still sucks.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.