Info on Mortification

During my confession last night, the priest suggested that I practice some mortification. I checked the catechism, but didn't find much info. Anyone feeling generous enough to give me a crash course?

Achievement Unlocked: Thread Creator (apologies to the person with the angry cat in their signature)

OK, I'll jump in.

My understanding of mortification is that it is some sort self-denial of self-discipline. Examples would be
fasting (from food altogether, from salt & pepper at a meal, etc.);
denying one's self ordinary pleasures such as television, radio, internet, or video games - especially if one replaced the thing with a holy occupation such as prayer or holy reading.

I'm very uncomfortable with Adoration so that's my go-to mortification.

Whenever you are confused by a penance imposed by a priest in confession you should ask for clarification before you leave: "Father, I'm not sure what that means," or "Father, can you give me some examples of mortifications I could do?"

May God bless you and keep you.

Peace.

Thanks Mary Ellen,

If I may ask, how often do you practice Adoration as mortification.

I’m sort of unsure how best to determine severity and duration, I have some ideas, but so far they all strike me as silly.

To clarify, this wasn’t my penance. Lately I’ve been getting bonuses like these where they’ll suggest ways to add or augment my prayer life and then for my penance I get something else. I guess it makes sense; I think every priest would recommend to say a daily rosary, but you couldn’t really have your penance be a rosary for every day of the rest of your life.

[quote="ActingCatholic, post:3, topic:327508"]
Thanks Mary Ellen,

If I may ask, how often do you practice Adoration as mortification.

[/quote]

Actually, if I eat meat on a Friday I try to use Adoration as my alternate form of penance/mortification for the day. Also, if I don't go to confession one week (I generally go weekly), I try to go to Adoration sometime the following week.

Sounds awesome! I didn’t really put two and two together, but I’m also looking for a good way to fulfill my Friday obligation (as I only recently learned that I had one outside of Lent), so maybe the mortification can serve that as well.

How can adoration be a mortification?

If you read the Lives of the Saints, you find other mortifications.

1. You could sleep without a blanket or a sheet.
  2. Drink water only, instead of coffee, tea, etc.
  3. You might sleep on the floor or on your couch rather than on your bed.
  4. You could dress warmer or cooler than the weather demands.
  5. You could refrain from fancy or very tasty foods, instead eating bland foods, such as rice or oatmeal without additives.
  6. You could give up alcoholic beverages for a time, probably not forever.
  7. You could dress more modestly than you usually do.
  8. You could wear unflattering clothes, rather than your best clothes.

Thanks Brian, this is very helpful as well.

Is public witness something that should be taken under consideration for penance and/or mortification? For example, if I’m sleeping without a blanket, no one knows, and it seems like that would make it less than say abstaining from meat, which also happens in the public sphere. Am I missing the boat?

Actually, if I eat meat on a Friday I try to use Adoration as my alternate form of penance/mortification for the day.

can someone explain what is meant by Adoration ?

Your mortifications are supposed to be a personal and intimate gift to God. It is possible, through clothing and public humiliations, to make these humiliations a gift to God as well.
Keep it for Him.

Adoration is when the blessed sacrament is put on the altar to venerate.

[quote="ActingCatholic, post:1, topic:327508"]
During my confession last night, the priest suggested that I practice some mortification. I checked the catechism, but didn't find much info. Anyone feeling generous enough to give me a crash course?

Achievement Unlocked: Thread Creator (apologies to the person with the angry cat in their signature)

[/quote]

i have to inter this conversation--- because praying in tongues -- actually and really does mortify the flesh--

example-- it really is effective -- if you want to break the habit of masturbation--

a teacher i once studied under -- dave robenson out of tulsa OK--

taught the group to pray in tongues -- for over 8 hours a day--

he does have a book called walking in the spirit--

any way-- if you put morter between -- bricks-- it stopes the movement -- bla-bla bla

i wish i -- was taught and told this when i was a early beliver

but good luck--

Praying in the spirit causes your spirit to dominate your flesh. Praying ... When we pray in other tongues, the Spirit of God bears us up in the .... But He will lead you to mortify the deeds of your body so you can begin to live in the power of God.

Yield yourself to the Holy Spirit and you shall live

.‎
always lead us out of a walk dominated by flesh and into a walk of the Spirit. .... Someone might say, "I tried praying in tongues, but it didn't work." ...

The mortification process spoken of in Romans 8:13 had begun in earnest in my life. For if ye ...

101 Benefits of Speaking in Tongues | SOGMI.org Blog

sogmi.org/blog/2011/05/21/101-benefits-of-speaking-in-tongues/‎

May 21, 2011 – Tongues is praying from your spirit. 92. Tongues is giving your spirit ascendency and power over your flesh. 93. Tongues aids you to mortify the ...
[PDF]
20 Scriptural Benefits of Speaking in Other Tongues - Riverside ...

www.rcclife.com/docs/groups/early.../20_reasons_for_tongues.pdf‎

Obviously speaking in tongues was very important to Paul. But what good does it .... Praying in tongues elevates your spirit above the flesh.

Therefore, brethren ... Praying in the spirit helps us to mortify the deeds of the body through the Spirit.
Fighting the Flesh in Prayer : Prayer Boot Camp

www.prayerbootcamp.com/2008/03/13/fighting-the-flesh-in-prayer/‎

Mar 13, 2008 – The moment you begin to pray privately, your flesh will begin to put up a resistance. .... after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the ... Fasting

Praying in Tongues for Personal Edification and Yielding to ...

Poll: Gift of praying in tongues - Page 4 - Catholic Answers Forums
forums.catholic.com › Forums › Catholic Living › Spirituality‎
Dec 11, 2009 - 15 posts - 8 authors
Poll: Gift of praying in tongues Spirituality. ... This is why constant prayer & mortification of the flesh (denial of physical pleasure/comfort) are ...
[PDF]

WHY SHOULD I SPEAK IN TONGUES? -

The Father's Friends
www.thefathersfriends.org/.../why_should_i_speak_in_tongues_-holy...‎
Research Finds Brain Affected When Speaking in Tongues. 2006 Johnson ....

. Tongues aids you to mortify the deeds and evil cravings of the flesh. 94. Tongues ...
Holy Spirit 5 - Comcast.net
home.comcast.net/~pastorbob/.../holy%20spirit/holyspirit6.htm‎

The divine act of the Spirit entering into and speaking in tongues is God's witness ..

... It is said that in order to teach her followers to mortify the flesh and to resist ...

We believe our customers deserve and expect the very best when it comes to their clothing choices. Flexibility is the key to good business relations Because of our long standing relationships with some of the clothing industry's top suit and clothing manufacturers, we are able to offer our selections a exceptional values. We will provide our customers with the most efficient shopping environment by presenting the most comprehensive line of cheap suits and formal accessories worldwide while continually improving our levels of customer service through training, total quality management, and advances in technology.

We believe our customers deserve and expect the very best when it comes to their clothing choices. Flexibility is the key to good business relations Because of our long standing relationships with some of the clothing industry's top suit and clothing manufacturers, we are able to offer our selections a exceptional values. We will provide our customers with the most efficient shopping environment by presenting the most comprehensive line of mens white suits and formal accessories worldwide while continually improving our levels of customer service through training, total quality management, and advances in technology.

venerate

*"respect, honour, esteem, revere, worship, adore, reverence,

Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002"*

Says it all for me! :thumbsup:

[quote="ajecphotos, post:11, topic:327508"]
Adoration is when the blessed sacrament is put on the altar to venerate.

[/quote]

That is what I thought it meant, I was not sure though, so with that in mind, why would Adoration be considered a form of Mortification ?

When Mortification seems to suggest some kind of going with out something that may be pleasurable or to indure some kind of hardship.

I do not understand how Adoration of the blessed sacrament can be considered a type of mortification, can someone elaborate.

One idea:
During your private prayer time, commit to a certain amount of time praying with your arms extended, or kneeling on the hard floor, or both. Start small, like five minutes of your prayer time per day. Remember that mortification is a prayerful offering to Jesus, an expiation for our sins or for the sins of others. Be mindful that these acts have a purpose; we unite ourselves in small ways to Jesus's suffering on the cross.

"Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands toward God in heaven." (Lamentations 3:41)

[quote="john78, post:15, topic:327508"]
That is what I thought it meant, I was not sure though, so with that in mind, why would Adoration be considered a form of Mortification ?

When Mortification seems to suggest some kind of going with out something that may be pleasurable or to indure some kind of hardship.

I do not understand how Adoration of the blessed sacrament can be considered a type of mortification, can someone elaborate.

[/quote]

"We bring the sacrifice of praise unto the House of the Lord!" Praise (even adoration) of God is a sacrifice. Why? Because selfishness is the rule of the flesh, and praising another, esp. God, is therefore a sacrifice.

As I said, for me Adoration is a form of mortification. This is because Adoration for more than 10 or 15 minutes is difficult for me - I have a hard time sitting still in the quiet; I get antsy, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say to my Lord, I don't feel worthy to sit in His Presence, etc., etc. Adoration may be a beautiful and peaceful time for many, many people - for me it is very difficult but I do it anyways.

[quote="Mary_Ellen, post:18, topic:327508"]
As I said, for me Adoration is a form of mortification. This is because Adoration for more than 10 or 15 minutes is difficult for me - I have a hard time sitting still in the quiet; I get antsy, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say to my Lord, I don't feel worthy to sit in His Presence, etc., etc. Adoration may be a beautiful and peaceful time for many, many people - for me it is very difficult but I do it anyways.

[/quote]

Why dont you buy a book on an hour with Jesus / Holy Hour?

It will have prayers etc in it. I am going to buy one myself.

I had a few more recommended to me:
At the end of your shower turn the water full cold long enough to say 3 Glory be…;
If you are eating at a restaurant, pick the thing you like best on the menu and then order something else;
Put a small piece of gravel in your shoe (enough to irritate but not injure yourself) and walk for a while;
Let your coffee get cold then drink it anyway or drink it differently than usual (ie without cream if you usually use it.)

It is not necessarily to make public witness. Any sacrifice made can be offered up as a penance for our own or even the world’s sins. Mortification is more to discipline our bodily desires, to develop the strength of will, to remind us that earthly pleasures are not our main goal. Public witness would be more in the category of evangelization rather than mortification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.