Info on the Pentacostal Church

Greetings and peace unto you all,

Where can I find factual information about the pentacostal church? I have a friend at work that’s a cradle pentacostal and I would like to know the history of her church and their beliefs and practices to possible conversate with her in regards to the Catholic Faith.

All the referrences and resources anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

God Bless You All,

Nelson

Well, if you want some really in-depth reading, you could read *Heaven Below, *a book on early Pentecostalism by my wife’s advisor, Prof. Grant Wacker of Duke University (a former Pentecostal who is now a United Methodist).

A much shorter book (but seriously wrong on some points according to Wacker, whose judgment I naturally tend to trust since I know him and since the folks I talk to about this stuff are mostly his students, one of them being my wife!) is Robert Anderson’s Vision of the Disinherited.

Edwin

Thanks for the name of books you mentioned.

Does anyone know of any web sites with accurate info on the history of the Pentacostal church? I’ve haven’t been able to find any online. I just want to kept a good understanding of it’s origin and so forth.

Thanks,

Nelson

It would help to know what branch of Pentecostalism she belongs to. Like many other Protestant sects, it has transmogrified into numerous groups that have distinctive beliefs.

Without knowing what branch you’re likely to get some bad info.
Assemblies of God
Pentecostal Holiness
United Pentecostal Church
Pentecostalism

[quote=Church Militant]Without knowing what branch you’re likely to get some bad info.
Assemblies of God
Pentecostal Holiness
United Pentecostal Church
Pentecostalism
[/quote]

and the Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.)

DaveBj

This website is run by the University of Virginia and looks very good.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.