Informal Facebook poll

Just a simple question. Is anyone out there leaving Facebook because they're tired of the drama, simplifying their life, or both. In my case I am tired of being thrashed by hypersensitive liberals who can't debate without throwing a hissy fit. I'm also tired of the drama, the addictive properties, and the privacy issues.

Any thoughts out there?

I’ve never had an account.

I joined Facebook because most of my friends and many of my colleagues were on it and kept asking me to join. So I created an account.

And then I waited for the Facebook fullfilment to happen -- you know, where everything is just so cool, and you just feel super connected to all your friends and family.

All I got was bizarre messages like "taking the kids to practice now" and "had a good day" and "hooray for this person (liberal or conservative celebrity). It was just, well, stupid.

So I haven't been on in months and years. Don't even know my user name or password anymore. I waaaaay prefer CAF for connecting with acquaintances, and the phone or church for friends and family.

And if you have any suggestions on how to actually close a Facebook account, I'd sure love to hear it.

Gert

I know what you mean my friend. I left facebook awhile ago and was truly happier for it but ended up getting sucked back in. Even though my status updates often earn the ire of more "progressive" friends of mine, my intention is never (or at least rarely, sometimes I can't help myself :D) to start a ruckus. I try not to comment on others status updates if I disagree with them (unless they are giving scandal to the Church or misrepresenting what She teaches) then I have to come in and as charitably as I can lay down some Truth lol. Just keep doing what you do. I like to post various quotes from all sorts of different Saints about different topics. You never know when someone is having a bad day and might read that and have it resonate with them and could be the start of what may be their conversion down the road. I don't claim facebook is the best place to evangelize because it certainly is not. But satan is using technology to corrupt the younger generations. I say why not take it back from him and make it serve Christ?

:)I have been a member of facebook for over four years now and love it.I reconnected with long lost highschool and college friends and met my second and third cousins for the first time,many of whom I plan to visit.I also established numerous artistic connections which enabled me to get some of my poetry published online.On the negative side you have the occasional stalker,so beware of who you friend.

[quote="Gertabelle, post:3, topic:276161"]
I joined Facebook because most of my friends and many of my colleagues were on it and kept asking me to join. So I created an account.

And then I waited for the Facebook fullfilment to happen -- you know, where everything is just so cool, and you just feel super connected to all your friends and family.

All I got was bizarre messages like "taking the kids to practice now" and "had a good day" and "hooray for this person (liberal or conservative celebrity). It was just, well, stupid.

So I haven't been on in months and years. Don't even know my user name or password anymore. I waaaaay prefer CAF for connecting with acquaintances, and the phone or church for friends and family.

And if you have any suggestions on how to actually close a Facebook account, I'd sure love to hear it.

Gert

[/quote]

facebook.com/help/?page=185698814812082

Just follow their instructions. Keep in mind that due to the TOS, your account will never be fully deleted (just inaccessible to the public, generally) and any information you placed on it remains their property.

I gave it up for Lent this year so I could prayerfully consider what use it has in my life.

I imagine by the end of this season I will either have a different perspective on it or will not go back.

No way. I love it.

[quote="Catholic90, post:2, topic:276161"]
I've never had an account.

[/quote]

This. Nor do I intend to ever have an account. I have no wish to add to data collection.

My nieces and nephews insisted that I keep a page to see pictures and the like.
Since I'm 72, I'm probably not a good judge, but the whole concept seems like a
a series of flight of ideas with not much to them. There are polls but you are right in that
there is a good deal of bashing from liberal sources.

[quote="Scott_D, post:1, topic:276161"]
Is anyone out there leaving Facebook because they're tired of the drama, simplifying their life, or both.?

[/quote]

That's me. I had a bunch of reasons why.

I joined Facebook because my friends encouraged me to.

Since joining, I’ve found it to have both positive and negative influences. I’ve been able to connect with many people in ways that wouldn’t have really been possible without social media. Though I do use it sparingly.

It’s a very easy thing to get addicted to, but a lot of it is futile and pointless. Especially the mundane statuses I always see, like “I just put the bin out” or “Watching a movie now”. Plus, the site makes it very difficult for a person to actually delete their account (even taking the step of saying things like “(Friend’s name) will miss you!” if you elect to leave, just to deter certain types).

On the whole, I’ve found there are many more important things to focus on. :slight_smile:

This.

I use Facebook to keep in long-distance contact with friends and to learn how to spell their last names (or just names in general) to avoid looking rude (I have a terrible memory with faces). But otherwise, I don’t use it.

I prefer to use Skype for any meaningful conversation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.