Information about The Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Rome (The Angelicum)?

Since there is only few information about the university (which I got from the official website, Newman Guide, and some other sites), can anyone give comments about:
1. Estimated fees (for international students).
2. Living cost around the university.
3. How to contact the Student Affairs (or others that can help me gathering infornation about the university) via email?
4. Is there any recommendation or comments about the university itself?
5. Is there any recommendation about the cheapest available housing for international students?
6. Does the university provide any scholarship or financial aid (for non-seminarians)? How to apply for that?

Thank you so much!

In Christ,
Kevin

Kevin,

I am a student at the Angelicum. I think it is one of the best universities in the world! I ought to be studying at the moment, but let me give you some quick responses:

1. Cost- depends. I don’t remember what the ANNUAL tuition is for a Bachelor’s but the most expensive tuition is for my cycle, which is the doctorate (2,400 Euro or about $3,400). I have the vague recollection that for a STB it might be about 1,400 euro for the year in tuition. Yes, you read it right. Tuition is cheap in Rome. Not sure why, but the Ang is the most expensive of the Pontifical universities… The Greg and the Lateran and others are cheaper. There really is no such thing as textbooks here (except for maybe Latin/Greek/Hebrew)… Depending on your professors, you may buy normal books by well known authors such as Pope John Paul II, st. Thomas Aquinas, etc.

2. Living costs near the university can be anywhere from about 450 euro a month lodging (usually shared or a small room) to about 1200 euro a month. You can often find apartments/roommates in Santa Marinella, which is an hour direct train ride away by the sea. This runs about 400 a month rent. Food is about the same as in the States. So is electricity, etc.

3. pust.it/index.php/en/contatti-main/contatti-generali/12-contatti/14-ufficio-studenti

4. I think it’s THE best!!! Okay, I actually think that Thomas Aquinas College in CA has a more rigorous undergrad program, but both are excellent.

5. ask the student office for listings of rental places - there is no such thing as a dorm here lay students are on their own

6. scholarships depend on the faculty. There are very few, and I think most must be applied for here… You can get a federal Stafford loan if you qualify as this university participates in the program.

Thank you for those information! I'm glad to hear your suggestion. Umm, but, may I ask you two more questions this time?

Will it become trouble for me, if I can't speak Italian fluently? Do the people there speak English?

Thank you very much!

English and Italian are the two official languages of the Angelicum- the advantage of going to the Angelicum as opposed to any other Pontifical University in Rome is that it does have English facutlies for undergrad studies. Thus, the entire undergraduate cycle may be done in English. Graduate studies are done mostly or all in Italian. Students have the right to take the exams in any major European language. You may need to learn some Italian if your living arrangements suggest the advisability. Google Lay Students Living in Rome for further details. Also, if you want to be legal, and are serious about going to Italy, you should work on housing and financing as soon as you make the decision to enroll. You need proof of an Italian address (furnished by a landlord) and proof of coverage of living expenses (you have to show you have $7,200 in the bank for a student visa for a year or have proof of sponsorship for that amount).

Thank you for your information, and I'm sorry for my late reply.

By the way, do you have any idea about a residence named Centro Culturale Internazionale Giovanni XXIII? I found it on the website "Lay Students in Rome" you have given to me, but I can't find the email, or it's website, so I can know something about it. Do you know something about it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kevin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.