Infused at Baptims: Faith - theological virtue

Every so often, I like to review the basics of our Faith from the CCC. The theological virtues are gifted to us at Baptism and become the whole foundation of our lives…in either a negative or positive sense. Certainly the infused theological virtues can be present without one being conscious of them - by their fruits they are known.
Mother Teresa for example for the final 40 years of her life felt afraid Faith and God had abandoned her…yet she continued a walk of Faith in Faith - hence Faith and God certainly had not abandoned her. Feelings are not always indicative of objective truth or reality. Neither are our thoughts. An example of thinking not being necessarily truth/reality is that Mother Teresa’s nuns all thought she was a joyful soul rich in Faith, always joyful and smiling, encouraging and affirming - her diaries tell us rather that she was a tormented soul plagued by fears which she kept hidden from all but her director.

The Teachings of The Church remain for a me a reality check.

I will post each of the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity infused at Baptism and outlined for us in the Catechism individually over a period due to the excessive wordcount if I post all three.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a7.htm#1813

II. THE THEOLOGICAL VIRTUES

1812 The human virtues are rooted in the theological virtues, which adapt man’s faculties for participation in the divine nature:76 for the theological virtues relate directly to God. They dispose Christians to live in a relationship with the Holy Trinity. They have the One and Triune God for their origin, motive, and object.

1813 The theological virtues are the foundation of Christian moral activity; they animate it and give it its special character. They inform and give life to all the moral virtues. They are infused by God into the souls of the faithful to make them capable of acting as his children and of meriting eternal life. They are the pledge of the presence and action of the Holy Spirit in the faculties of the human being. There are three theological virtues: faith, hope, and charity.77

Faith

1814 Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because he is truth itself. By faith "man freely commits his entire self to God."78 For this reason the believer seeks to know and do God’s will. “The righteous shall live by faith.” Living faith "work[s] through charity."79

1815 The gift of faith remains in one who has not sinned against it.80 But “faith apart from works is dead”:81 when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body.

1816 The disciple of Christ must not only keep the faith and live on it, but also profess it, confidently bear witness to it, and spread it: "All however must be prepared to confess Christ before men and to follow him along the way of the Cross, amidst the persecutions which the Church never lacks***."82 Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation:*** “So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”

I have lost my edit key…there are many references to Faith in the Catholic Catechism - they can be found here:
ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=theological+virtues&xsubmit=Search&s=SS

I’ve been struggling with doubts lately. I go through this periodically. I decided years ago that when I have these horrible doubts, I would just continue to believe despite the doubts.

I don’t know if the doubts exist because of my weak faith. Or, if it is a test allowed by God. Or, it is because of some sin in my life that I should be working on. Or, if it is an effect of the poor spiritual foundation I had in my past

Things that help me during these torturous periods is to

1. rely on the saints–if these good and holy and brilliant people believed, then I rely on their witness. I am after all weak and sinful and not so bright.

2. read the Gospels. The stories of Jesus reveal him so clearly that I know He is God.

3. ask people about their experiences of God. One of my friends told me of a revelation she had from God about Satan. She asked God why he allowed Satan to continue to exist after the rebellion, esp with all the suffering he brings to the world. In an interior communication, God told her, “because I love him.”

hearing that story really helped me.

1. Just trudging on. Sometimes ignoring the doubts and moving on gives me peace as the doubts fade over weeks or months. I tell myself, “so what if it’s not true–it’s such a beautiful vision of life–just live it.”

I keep praying for more faith. I remember reading that Fulteen Sheen was once given the gift of pure faith. He had a supernatural experience that removed all doubt for the entirety of his life. That would be so wonderful. To have absolute confidence and trust and intellectual peace.

God, I believe. Help my unbelief.

A moving post, Leonie.
It is very hard to keep Faith when our world seems to be crashing around us and the time to walk in the simplicity of Faith and what it tells us. Very often, it is not at all unusual, we cannot be sure of the why’s and wherefore’s of some happening, event…but we know in Faith that we can trust God Who is Ever Faithful always and at all times - and who will never try nor tempt us beyond our means.
A trial or a cross is not necessarily a test, our own weakness, nor poverty…there is nothing like difficulty and persevering through it to strengthen.

I pray that the suffering you may undergo will break into Joy and Peace.

BLessings and God’s Peace…Barb

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.