Inherited vs Personal Sin

Greetings:

Did Christ die for our inherited sins only and not the ones we commit on our own?

Thank you for any guidance/feedback.

Ed in Tampa

Inherited sins???

No such thing. We can indeed suffer form the previous mistakes of others (I’m thinking children of alcoholics, abusers, those who have committed crimes, etc. ) but those sins are theirs and their alone. Sins do not pass through to others. We are responsible for ourselves alone. That’s why there is a “particular” judgment along with final judgment.
We stand before God alone.
Peace.

Christ died for all sin not only Original Sin.

We do not inherit sins.

Some may object to the idea of inheriting sin; however, these people forget about human solidarity - the human race as one big family. Even though we are responsible for our actions due to human free will, our deeds still affect other people and vice versa. If I drive while drunk, my action can deprive someone else of their life. If my children see me stealing, then they will more likely choose to steal as a result of my example and so on. Now original sin is not due to our action, so it is not our personal fault (CCC 405). However as a result of human solidarity and Adam as the father of the human race, we still inherit the state of Adam’s sin - “a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice” [CCC 404]. This disharmony between human free will and human solidarity is a consequence of original sin.

I understood “inherited sin” to mean Original sin. :shrug:

Question to help me understand…are we not born with “Original Sin?” Is this not why we must be baptized as soon as we are able because of the sin which is present from birth? I’ve wondered from others answers about how Catholics view Original Sin.

Thanks and God bless!!

Rita

Yes, we inherited Original Sin from Adam & Eve. Baptism removes it and a baby who dies can be in Heaven & enjoy the Beatific Vision! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Is Original Sin not an Inherited Sin?

That was my interp of it too. Maybe the OP will clarify if Original Sin is what was being referred to.

Mary.

Read post #8

Yes, that was my intention…the sin of Adam & Eve, the “fall”. So I read that this is the sin Christ redeems us of…our personally created sin requires the sacrament of Confession to put us back in a “state of grace”.

Is this a correct understanding?

God’s peace

Christ’s sacrifice redeems us from both original sin and personal sins.

Keep in mind that original sin is not real sin, with regard to the meaning of sin in moral theology; you can read more here:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P1C.HTM#$ES

God permitted sin to enter the world through Adam, so that His grace could abound even more.

‘O happy fault,…which gained for us so great a Redeemer!’

Confession acheives forgiveness of personal sins through Christ’s sacfrice; recall the beautiful words of absolution:

God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit.

UnderACloud…thank you for this link…it provides a wealth of wisdom.

The best way to understand the Catholic view on original sin is to read it in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It’s online for free via any search engine. The topic does not lend itself easily to a simple post.

Blessings,

Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.