initials E.V.

What do the initials “E.V.” mean after a priests name?:slight_smile:

Eucharistic Vendor.

:smiley: I made that up. :smiley:

[quote="medaroge, post:1, topic:293610"]
What do the initials "E.V." mean after a priests name?:)

[/quote]

Episcopal vicar is a priest who has the authority to act in place of the bishop.

Thank you! I'm a newbie, so I totally would have believed Eucharist Vendor!! Glad to know the real words, though! :D

[quote="Vico, post:3, topic:293610"]
Episcopal vicar is a priest who has the authority to act in place of the bishop.

[/quote]

Unlike the Vicar General, who represents the Bishop throughout the diocese, the Episcopal Vicars are given a specific area of responsibility. Until recently, my diocese had two. One looked after the mainland part of the diocese and the other looked after the island part of the diocese.

The new bishop hasn't named any EVs.

I'm not surprised since we are very short of priests, forcing all of them to take on multiple tasks. The next town over, with two parishes and a mission, had 4 priests until last summer. One of these was the EV and one was 80+ years old and did all hospital and sick-call ministries. Three, including the EV and the old priest, left the diocese last summer -- only one was replaced. This year they are down to one sole priest to do all this and he was named Administrator, not Pastor, because he's a canon lawyer and the bishop wants him at the diocesan office as soon as it's feasible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.