Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Is anyone familiar with this book? My son had it recommended by a friend, but I am unsure of it’s use of magic.
Apparently this is the third most popular author in Germany, behind JK Rowling, and RL Stine, neither of whom I approve.
Opinions?

It should be fine. Its about a girl who’s father can read things out of books and accidently read her mother into a book. The first book does not have that much magic except for the reading things in and out of books part. The second book is when the girl reads herself into a book and that has more magic in it. However, considering that the book she reads herself in would probably be considered a medieval fairytale book, so some magic is expected, but it doesn’t seem to promote it

I haven’t read anything particularly startling, as I’m over halfway through the first book now. The girl in the story, age 12, nearly 13 calls her dad “Mo”, his nickname, which some people could find offensive, but certinally not immoral.

This won’t spoil the plot too much but the “magic” (highlight to see) is that Mo is a storyteller who has a special ability that when he reads characters, objects, ect can travel in and out of books.

Its really not magic spell casting and stuff. Its really not a magical world but a world with magic. That said its fairly difficult reading, for me, probably because its been translated.

If you don’t approve of JK Rowling and RL Stine, then you most definately won’t approve of this. Why don’t you approve of JK Rowling? RL Stine I can understand because his books can be a bit scary for little children.

If your son is over ten he should be able to choose for himself. JK Rowling, RL Stine, and Cornelia Funke are all wonderful authors and I love all of their books!

Happy reading!

Scott

I loved the first book, it was a reallygreat story. Suer theres magic in it, but more along the lines of fairytale magic.
I’ve yet to read the second book. I bought it a few months ago but lost it right away:banghead: (I’m bad at that).
I would recomend the Harry Potter books as well. Seriously, there isn’t anything moraly offensive about them. It teaches that the most powerful thing a person can have is love.
R.L. Stine isn’t that bad either (depending on the age of your child). His books usually had a moral at the end.

Sometimes his books are even more comedy than horror, though his style I wouldn’t call horror…It’s more funny than scary in most of his books.

Reading them nowadays at my age they are pretty funny, but when I was little and my mom would read them to my brother and I they sorta did scare me:blush: .
Compared to what kids read these days, I think books like goosebumps were very good. They taught you a lesson most of the time. I mean, these days, for every one Harry Potter book you have about a hundred trashy books come out. No wonder kids don’t read that much anymore. It’s sad really.

My daughter has read both of them. They are not scary and the characters don’t cast spells or use the type of traditional magic found in Harry Potter (potions, etc.) As others have said they are more along the lines of a fairy tale.

That said, I do allow reading about magic at a certain level (Redwall, Dragon Riders of Pern, A Wrinkle in Time ). We have seen the 1st 2 Harry Potter movies, but my kids aren’t interested in reading the books or seeing more of the movies–mostly because they are over hyped.

Well, truthfully, I’ve not read anything by either of them, but they seem to evoke strong opinions on both sides of the aisle, and I’ve erred on the side that says Potter is dabbling in the occult and opted out of Rowling entirely. That said, I think these authors are strictly a matter of each person’s opinion, and I do not think they can/should be considered completely without merit.
Stine seemed to be too scary, as posted by others. I’m really wanting my kids to appreciate books that are a hard read, not just pure entertainment, so I lean towards those for the bulk of their material. Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Redwall have been great entertainment, and not without redeeming value on a spiritual level. I’d prefer to stick with such books/authors that cover both of those bases, at least in part.

Have you heard of the book ‘Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell’? It’s a difficult book to read. It does have magicians/wizards in it, but the interesting thing about this book is that the magicians/wizards call on the help of the Saints. I didn’t actually notice all the catholic sybolism in it until my Priest pointed it out (he liked and approved of the book).
That being said, this boot litteraly might be too hard to read for a child. It’s written in the style of Jane austen and Charles Dickens. There is nothing morally offensive at all in the book though. Maybe a tad scary at parts. But the writing style is very different, and you need to get past at least the first 40 or so pages before it picks up.

No, I’ve not heard of that. My kids are capable of harder reads than typical kids of today, so I may give that a shot.
I gave my 12 year old “Great Expectations” recently, and he said there was not enough going on to hold his interest. He may be a little young for Dickens, but he must read it at some point, although he may be too young yet.
Thanks

While Cornelia Funke herself believes in God, there is a passage in the book which suggests that the characters (usually reflecting the author’s beliefs) do not believe in the the devil, specifically when Meggie tells Dustfinger, “Mo says human beings invented the devil” (Pg 115) and there is some mild language but other than that it’s a great story with no objections.

Discussed here:

[BOOKS: "Inkheart" & "Inkspell"]("http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=223838&highlight=inkheart")
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.