Inquiry on University of St. Thomas- MN, U.S.A

I'm really unsure of where I should have put this post, but this seemed like a decent spot.

Now, I feel a true vocation to joining in the New Evnagelization of the Church and I'm looking for a wonderful university in the Midwest with a great Catholic Studies program. There is nothing more exciting to me right now than getting wrapped up in the Church and just learning absolutely everything about it. However, my girlfriend's aunt was an alum from this university back in about the mid-80's. She said she did not enjoy it. She always mentions that the teaching was far from being dogmatically sound and that it was up to you to be sure to tote your Catechism to ensure you weren't being told false information. I just recently toured the school, and the admissions counselor had nothing but good things to say about the Jesuits and lay people in the program, however.

This scares me. I'm only nineteen and, though I have a great Catholic dogma base to run off of from a recent conversion and four years in Catholic high school, I want to be taught the deeper constructs of the faith by a group of Professors who can thoroughly, accurately, and lovingly profess the faith.

I was wondering if anyone within the CAF has attended UST in Minnesota and what they thought of the Catholic Studies. Was it dogmatically and faithfully correct?

Thank you for any answers and help.
God Bless!

I haven't but I head about it in the paper. They recently appointed a lay woman, a first for them, to be president of the college. That troubles some people, others are pleased.

I am a University of St. Thomas alumni. I found that the undergrad courses in the Theology department had a few instructors that were very liberal and that I even disagreed with at times. The Catholic Studies department is separate from the Theology department... The Catholic Studies dept for graduate studies (MA) is phenomenal.

What about Notre Dame? I don't know about their Catholic Studies program, but a friend of mine studied something else there (I forgot what) and she thought the university was very orthodox.

Are you male or female? If you're female, we do have St. Catherine's University here (St. Kate's for short). They admit only women as undergraduates but admit men into the graduate program.

I should clear that up, yes. I am a male. Therefore, St. Kate's isn't an option, though I've heard from some friends of mine that they enjoyed it there.

Thank you for the answers so far. If there are anymore alumni or current students, I'd still love to hear what you think.

Do you want information about the geographical area too, what it’s like to live here? That was important to me when choosing a college. I live in a suburb of St. Paul and don’t go to the cities much, but I can tell you this is a pretty good place to live. I have been in the Twin Cities for 2 and a half years now.

We do have a fairly long winter but the road crews are great about clearing the streets.

We are part of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. I have heard that Archbishop Nienstedt is pretty orthodox although I’ve never met him.

There is a lot to do socially and culturally, as well as pro sports teams to watch.

Minneapolis and St. Paul are racially diverse.

Hope this helps.

I was really just looking for others opinions on the Catholic Studies curriculum.

I live in Northwestern Wisconsin, so I’m only about an hour away from the Twin Cities. Thank you for your information though! I’ve visited plenty of friends and family in the area and have observed these things.

The Catholic Studies program is fabulous and doctrinally sound. The professors are fantastic. I would recommend the program. However, I attended it for grad school, not undergrad.

I echo the above statements. I've heard as well that although the Theology Dept. is a bit shifty, the Catholic Studies Dept. is phenomenal. I visited the Campus last weekend & stopped by Catholic Studies building to take a "mock class" and it seemed legitimate.

Also, Fr. Michael Keating is one of the professors for the CS Dept., and I must say he's one of the more impressive speakers I've heard in my time on this earth.

[quote="CallMeCatholic, post:9, topic:316560"]
I echo the above statements. I've heard as well that although the Theology Dept. is a bit shifty, the Catholic Studies Dept. is phenomenal. I visited the Campus last weekend & stopped by Catholic Studies building to take a "mock class" and it seemed legitimate.

Also, Fr. Michael Keating is one of the professors for the CS Dept., and I must say he's one of the more impressive speakers I've heard in my time on this earth.

[/quote]

He is fantastic. And he is a joy to work with.

All of the professors were delightful. There is not a single one I took issue with. Also, it is a very small and intimate department. I give it super high reviews.

I've visited the seminary on campus and have a ton of good friends who attend that seminary and school and it's a wonderful school! good Catholic Studies program and it even allows for studying abroad in Rome for a semester.

I plan on attending the seminary but we'll see where the Bishop will send me.

The Newman Guide to choosing a Catholic college.

cardinalnewmansociety.org/TheNewmanGuide.aspx

To the OP, this can be a good resource.

Thank you all so very much! Bless all of you!

That thoroughly puts me at ease. I now feel much more comfortable for choosing St. Thomas.

:thumbsup: Congrats! You will be very happy!

My ex-boyfriend is a philosophy professor there. He is a devout Roman Catholic who impressed the University in his first year of teaching enough that he did get offered to teach a Catholic philosophy course for the seminarians for the second year. I have seen him teach and he really does know what he is doing. Sure, the university hires non-Catholics, but they do make sure that anyone dealing with education on terms of dogma is informed.

I think you will be in good hands.

[quote="Keyeotee, post:13, topic:316560"]
Thank you all so very much! Bless all of you!

That thoroughly puts me at ease. I now feel much more comfortable for choosing St. Thomas.

[/quote]

I am glad to hear it and hope you will be very happy there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.