Inside ‘Bill Clinton Inc.’: Hacked memo reveals intersection of charity and personal income

Washington Post:

Inside ‘Bill Clinton Inc.’: Hacked memo reveals intersection of charity and personal income

When top Bill Clinton aide Douglas Band wrote the memo, he was a central player at the Clinton Foundation and president of his own corporate consulting firm. Over the course of 13 pages, he made a case that his multiple roles had served the interests of the Clinton family and its charity. In doing so, Band also detailed a circle of enrichment in which he raised money for the Clinton Foundation from top-tier corporations such as Dow Chemical and Coca-Cola that were clients of his firm, Teneo, while pressing many of those same donors to provide personal income to the former president.
The system has drawn scrutiny from Republicans, who say it allowed corporations and other wealthy supporters to pay for entree to a popular former president and a onetime secretary of state who is now the Democratic presidential nominee.
Band wrote the memo in 2011 to foundation lawyers conducting a review of the organization amid a brewing feud with the Clintons’ daughter, Chelsea Clinton, who was taking a stronger role in leading the foundation and had expressed concerns about Teneo’s operations.

Clinton supporters at a rally in Florida respond to the latest WikiLeaks revelations. (Alice Li/The Washington Post)
Clinton supporters at a rally in Florida respond to WikiLeaks revelations. Here’s what Clinton supporters have to say about the latest WikiLeaks revelations. (Alice Li/The Washington Post)

Read the 2011 memo about Teneo and the Clinton Foundation]
The memo, made public Wednesday by the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks, lays out the aggressive strategy behind lining up the consulting contracts and paid speaking engagements for Bill Clinton that added tens of millions of dollars to the family’s fortune, including during the years that Hillary Clinton led the State Department. It describes how Band helped run what he called “Bill Clinton Inc.,” obtaining “in-kind services for the President and his family — for personal travel, hospitality, vacation and the like.”
Band and his Teneo co-founder, former Hillary Clinton fundraiser Declan Kelly, declined to comment. But Teneo issued a statement saying that “as the memo demonstrates, Teneo worked to encourage clients, where appropriate, to support the Clinton Foundation because of the good work that it does around the world. It also clearly shows that Teneo never received any financial benefit or benefit of any kind from doing so.”

Pay to play.
I wonder if straight out bribery will be outlined by an email…

When I see Bill and Hillary campaigning together on stage or individually at rallies,
I just feel queasy. The scandals get worse, the corruption gets worse, the lies get bigger and Bill and Hillary get richer! What is wrong with this picture?

Why does this not break the trust of the poor and middle class who support Hillary? A corrupt person will never ever serve the interest of the little guy, cause it’s always about serving themselves.

Because it is a vast right wing conspiracy.:wink:

Well said. That is a common sense way of thinking, but I don’t think liberals operate on common sense.

There is more than what is revealed in wikileaks. For example, the King of Morocco was going to make a huge donation to the foundation, and there have been other donations from Morocco already. In turn, Clinton is accepting Morocco’s brutal occupation of Western Sahara, an occupation condemned by the UN and the world court:

huffingtonpost.com/stephen-zunes/hillary-clinton-phosphate_b_8202434.html

Let’s face it; the two front-runners in the presidential race behave very unethically and are both not trustworthy. Though I am not voting for either one, I do put some faith in our electorate in that we will eliminate a Trump presidency, and then our congress can go into action to bring about justice. If that means a subsequent impeachment of Hillary, at this point I think it would be for the best.

If Congress does not do this, it will be in part because they too are corrupted by the same interests (foreign and domestic, i.e., another occupation condemned by the UN) that are feeding Clinton Inc. The “grass roots” are going to have to be vigilant.

Trump has done nothing to hurt our people or government. He plays no part in Hillary’s corruption.

‘Pay to play’ is just the obsequious media’s term for Clinton bribery. When you pay someone for government services, appointments, favorable votes or rulings it is a bribe. The Clinton’s have been doing this since the very beginning. They’ve gotten away with it and our country is so corrupt a lot of folks don’t mind at all.

Did they think no one would find out? Is this illegal?

Like any criminal the longer you get away with it the more bold you get. The Clintons think they are above the law because they are. The email crime proved it. Being illegal is of no consequence if the government doesn’t bother to prosecute the crime.

Well, it is not just the Clintons. The problem is that the climate in Washington is such that the players are the ones in charge, not the receivers.

I am convinced that legislators see themselves as victims of a corrupt system, one in which they are slaves to donors to campaigns.

“In effect, that means that the winning Senate candidates needed to raise an average of $14,351 every day between Jan. 1 2010 and election day, 2012 in order to pull of a win, while the victorious House members raised $2.315 per day, MapLight found.”

nydailynews.com/news/politics/cost-u-s-senate-seat-10-5-million-article-1.1285491

Our representatives barely have time to read the “cliff notes” on legislation and go to meetings and votes. Their main job is to raise money for the next campaign. They are slaves to the special interests who write legislation for them; lobbyists write bills that favor their stakeholders. Industrial players are ready and waiting with legislation that calls for spending money on special projects that benefit the industries. The same holds true for every lobby for every agenda. It is very easy for a politician to rationalize all kinds of corruption because the entire system is dysfunctional and favors the players. And of course the media is also part of the game, not only are they also the recipient of advertising money, but they are one of the major recipients of all campaign funding. If you “follow the money” on campaigns, much of it ends up in the hands of the media. Of course, there is no incentive for the media to do any kind of sustained story about the need for campaign finance reform.

I once heard a Nigerian fellow being interviewed. He said “The corruption in Nigeria is much more democratic, it is active from the bottom all the way to the top. In the U.S., your corruption is only at the top.” Although there is some corruption at the local level, I mostly agree with his observation.

And then, there is the fourth section of our government, the central bank…

All the players and all the recipients are well-intended. I am not saying that all politicians are equally trustworthy, as some find good reason (i.e. a foundation) to milk more out of the system, as it appears the Clintons have done. What I am saying is that as we push for justice, including reform of the system and removing people from office, we can understand and forgive everyone involved.

We should all mind what is going on, and push for change. The front-runners both have histories of unethical behavior.

I think that “All the players and all the recipients are well intended” … is not a true statement.

They don’t ALL do it.

Hillary is unique … she alone of the contenders has been a government employee all her adult life.

And during all of that time there have been scandals and reports of scandals and fishy goings-on. But of course that is alright since she is a Democrat and a far-left liberal.

She could have turned Haiti into a fabulous case for government involvement and intervention. A veritable showcase.

It would have been so easy for her.

But she did not elect to do so.

Within Congress, there is an office called the GAO and they write reports.

The GAO has written a bunch of audit reports on disaster relief to Haiti.

If you visit Google, you can look them up.

Not a pretty sight.

Didn’t have to be that way.

Congress gave the money to the State Department.

And it could have been used to help and benefit the people of Haiti.

But it was not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.