Inspiration to Stop Complaining

This priest has really grown on me, this was a great video for me.

(talking to self)
Stop complaining. it’s not like you’ve been stuck in a cave for 2 weeks waiting for someone to rescue you.

Nelka, over the past 10 yeas, I have received so much grace and mercy that I cannot help but be grateful for the gift of life, the gift of love, and yes, even the gift of suffering, as it proceeds from love and is made manifest in our human lives. The way of suffering unites us in a special bond with our suffering Lord. Yes, we are parts of His mystical Body, but in suffering, we each become Simon of Cyrene, helping our Lord to carry His cross.

What an honor, and what promise it holds, both in this life as well as in eternity.

Earthly life and suffering are short. The Beatific Vision will thrill us to a degree which we cannot survive in this life.

I am learning to stop myself when I hear complaints coming from within. Am I not actually complaining about being alive?

I love this so much and will always think of being Simon of Cyrene and the promise that holds. Thank you so much for that, can’t wait to share that with my husband.

One thing you mentioned is that you received so much grace and mercy that you can’t help but be grateful. I am sure I too received Gods grace and mercy so why can’t I appreciate what I have more and am filled with extreme anxiety to the point of chest pains (because of my current move) and am now taking it out on my spouse who doesn’t care if we live in a box and get rid of all our things (except his things).

I sound, even to myself, like someone who needs to just pray more and practice gratitude. Is that right? I pray all the time, always thanking God first and yet I am despairing.
Thank you

It is both an act of your human will, as well as a devotion of your heart. We are inclined, via our concupiscence, to look around us and see what is missing - not what is there. Imperfection abounds and it catches our attention, dragging us down.

Those whom we find most difficult or troubling we must fervently pray for, and from the heart. Daily, for years if need be. At some level, our complaints about spouses are complaints about ourselves, inasmuch as we chose them.

Some married hoping that their spouse would change, while others married hoping that change would not occur. Since we are living and breathing, either or both may have happened. Yet, what attracted us to our spouses is still there, even if hidden, or clouded by life’s occurrences.

I searched out one prayer of Saint Teresa of Avila and it really struck a chord within me. I think it bears posting and re-posting.

Let nothing disturb you,

Let nothing frighten you,

All things are passing away:

God never changes.

Patience obtains all things

Whoever has God lacks nothing;

God alone suffices.

– St. Teresa of Avila

This is a good one for the refrigerator door, wallet or purse. As to life’s ever-changing situations, I ask only the Lord’s mercy and the grace to bear my cross. Intercessory prayer is intended for others and so that is what I do.

But first, for example before eating, I offer, “Lord, I thank You, I praise You, I bless You, I glorify You, I adore you, for in You I live and move and have my being.”

Based on Acts 17:25.

I’ve been watching a lot of Father Mike recently.

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.