Inspirational books/movies?

Do you guys have any suggestions for movies of books that are uplifting. I’m sick of reading classical literature that is overly depressing, and watching movies that are so negative. Any suggestions?

Syphon, don’t sell classical literature short. I’ve found Dante’s Divine Comedy quite appealling (so much so that I’ve read all three volumes THREE TIMES already). And please, don’t knock Shakespeare’s works, or the works of…well, I’ll leave some of the Ancient Greek playrights sic] for another day. As for inspirational movies, I’ve found that The Song of Bernadette with Jennifer Jones, and The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima with Gilbert Roland quite uplifting.

I hope that these help. :o :frowning: :wink:

BELLA is a great movie!

The people who made it are a real inspiration. They gave up fame and fortune to spread God’s Word through the modern world.

Mark

Returning to the Greek playrights I alluded to earlier, I’ve always found Sophocles’ Three Theban Plays to inspire me into avoiding what some of the main characters did: letting their own self-worth get the better of them, and lead them into committing acts of hubris. If that does not teach humility, then I don’t know what does.

Hi!
I read a very powerful book by and about Immaculée Ilibagiza, a young courageous woman who survived the genocide in Rwanda. She is a Catholic who lost her home,friends, and family, and survived 91 days of hiding in a 4ft by 3 ft bathroom with 7 other women!The book tells of her spiritual journey of faith during unimaginable horrors to her eventual forgiveness of the murderers. It is a MUST READ!
She has been a guest of Dr Wayne Dyer (PBS),the ‘Christophers’, on local inspirational channels , and EWTN.
Info about her and her book can be found at: lefttotell.com/about/index.php

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I AM DAVID is an awesome movie that touched the heart and renewed your spirit for conquering the trials of life!
It contains Catholic/religious threads throughout the plot.
Definitely a MUST SEE film (or novel to read)!
We rented the DVD from NETFLIX; The DVD (and novel: NORTH TO FREEDOM )is also available for purchase on line.

**Plot Synopsis (from AMAZON.COM): **

I Am David is adapted from Anne Holm’s internationally acclaimed (novel) North to Freedom. It is the story of a 12-year-old boy, David, who escapes a Communist concentration camp with little more than a compass, a sealed letter, a loaf of bread, and instructions to carry the letter to Copenhagen, Denmark. David is thrust into the free world for the first time in his young life as he travels across Europe. It is a spiritual voyage of discovery, where David slowly loses his instinctual mistrust of humanity and begins to smile, share, trust and ultimately, love. I Am David addresses the cruelties, politics, and suffering of warfare while celebrating the resilience of youth and the unbreakable spirit of a child.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/grichocds/MISCELLANEOUS/me.jpg

Wow. These are some pretty heavy suggestions! Not exactly my idea of “beach reading.” But maybe you’re looking for “heavy.”

If you want something a whole lot lighter, you could read my novels. They aren’t high literature. But they’re uplifting and fun and there is a definite “Catholic” undercurrent. The two main adult characters/heroes are Catholic.

The third novel in the series is supposed to be out this summer and it’s the best so far–a Holocaust plot.

They’re written for teenagers, but a lot of adults like them, too. Good stories are good stories, right?

jazzicals.com/

Story of a Soul is so uplifting; however, I didn’t like the movie Therese too much.

Books?
Pick a subject.
Secular? The Song of Roland

Movies?
Don’t watch them. But the of the ones I did,

A Man for All Seasons

Hands down.

I’ll second the* I am David* recommendation for movies, and also the clean (!) romantic comedy, Return to Me.

Margaret

Return to Me was great.

“A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” is a classic by Betty Smith that I have to read at least once a year! Yes, READ it, don’t watch the movie!

And for a light, yet inspiring, movie (perfect on a gloomy day), I always watch “The Trouble with Angels”! It always leaves me smiling!

The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom are excellent! A great, positive message in each, and each certainly inspirational.

Simon Birch was a great little uplifting film, and it’s become one of our favorites. Shadowlands is another, and based on a true story. And there’s always Hoosiers and *Chariots of Fire! :thumbsup: *

Double :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Chariots of Fire.

Two Bing Crosby movies - Bells of St Marys and Going My Way

Lilies of The Field with Sidney Poitier - awesome, awesome, awesome …

Oh, definitely :thumbsup: to Lilies of the Field!

yes, a fantastic movie. I’d also suggest any film by either Frank Capra and Cecil B.Demille.

Even the 50s War of the Worlds which Demille wrote the screenplay for and intended to direct.

Ben Hur is another film you can’t go past. Great Novel too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.