Inspirational Catholic teen Zach Sobiech's music was his final farewell

I was surprised that there wasn’t anything here about this young Catholic man who died from complications associated with osteocarcoma in May, leaving behind a legacy of faith, joy, and music.

My Last Days: Meet Zach Sobiech
Clouds song
Fix Me Up song
Sandcastle song
Star Hopping song

ChildrensCancer.org
Zach Sobiech, 18-year-old teen from Stillwater, Minn., was never far from his friends, and his guitar. Upon his diagnosis of terminal cancer, Zach turned to music in a big way - writing and performing songs as a way to say goodbye to his friends and family. Zach passed away on May 20, 2013.

Zach bravely battled osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer, since his diagnosis at age 14. As the disease progressed, doctors had no more effective treatment options to offer him a cure, and Zach was told in May, 2012 that he likely had months to a year to live.

In the face of this earth shattering news, his response was to embrace every day with hope and joy. Zach surrounded himself with family and friends. And, he wrote songs for the ones he loved, which touched the hearts of millions worldwide. Writing goodbye letters weren’t Zach’s style, so he put his heart into song lyrics. He released two albums, performed alongside some of today’s best musicians and achieved a dream of helping raise money and awareness for osteosarcoma research.

The Catholic Spirit
Zach Sobiech of St. Michael [Catholic Church] in Stillwater, who inspired thousands of people around the country and the world during his battle with cancer, and with the music he wrote and recorded during his fight, died at 6:30 a.m. May 20, surrounded by his family and girlfriend Amy Adamle. He was 18.

Three and a half years ago, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a rare and aggressive form of bone cancer that strikes teenagers during their growth years. Last spring, the cancer spread throughout his body, rendering treatment ineffective in curing the disease.

Within hours of his death, his mother Laura wrote a message on his CaringBridge site: “Zachary passed away this morning. He was surrounded by his sisters, brother, parents and girlfriend. We love him dearly.”

God bless you for sharing this what a remarkable and brave young man.

May God rest Zach’s soul and may Our Blessed Mother offer comfort to his family, friends, and his girlfriend.

I read several articles about him when he died. A couple mentioned his or his song’s “spirituality” but none of them mentioned him being a Catholic.

That’s what I encountered, too. I looked him up to find out what this spirituality was they said was such a big part of who he was. I thought it was strange if it was so important why it wasn’t discussed. That’s how I found out his family is practicing Catholic. The media appears to have gone out of its way to bury those details that were so central to his life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.