Installation Mass for new Archbishop

Has anyone attended one of these? I am going tomorrow for the installation of our new Archbishop here in Portland and I was wondering what to expect. I'm excited but have no idea what to expect at all.

I'm so envious of you, Annabelle Marie! Wish I could be there in person but since it's in another state, I'm happy we can at least see it live-streamed (via the archdiocesan web site site -- www.archdpdx.org -- starting at 1.30 pm Pacific). But I've taken the day off work to see it without interruptions!

The Portland archdiocese has posted several PDFs at:
archdpdx.org/installation_information.html

-- including the complete booklet for the Installation Mass, so definitely look through this particular one, it's a 47-page download.
archdpdx.org/Installation-Mass-Program.pdf

I was at work when vespers were held last night, but from what I did see/hear, I was impressed by the solemnity of it.

Also EWTN replied that Archbishop Sample's installation will be aired at a later time under "Cathedrals Across America", but the date has not yet been announced.

+++

The Diocese of Marquette has posted videos of Archbishop Sample's final homilies there:
dioceseofmarquette.org/index.php?pageid=769

+++

Finally if you want to see examples of other installation Masses, I'd heartily recommend the following:

The installation of Archbishop Chaput of Philadelphia, September 8, 2011:
youtube.com/watch?v=GIKm0u2dulM

The ordination and installation of Bishop Persico of Erie, with Archbishop Chaput as principal consecrator and homilist, October 1, 2012:
youtube.com/watch?v=5GZ42h5V8Q4
Since this one includes the episcopal consecration as well, I find it especially wonderful to watch.

Enjoy! Enjoy!
amsjj :)

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.
+ Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.
+ San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by
St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.
+ Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

I had the honor to attend the installation mass for Archbishop Tobin in Indianapolis a couple of months ago.

It was exciting, worshipful, happy, respectful, solemn. The entrance procession was filled with dozens of bishops, and many many more priests. There were many seminarians, family, friends, and then ....the rest of us attending.

The music was so majestic and appropriate. [No praise and worship ....] The ritual of installation went smoothly, and we were honored by the presence of Archbishop Emeritus Daniel Beuchlein, frail, yet strong.

If you have time, you might visit the archdiocese website at archindy.org for more information, pictures, etc.

It is a blessed event and you'll keep it in your heart forever.

Re: Abp. Sample’s installation on EWTN: According to the Archdiocese of Portland web site, EWTN will re-broadcast the Mass of Installation on Monday, April 8, 2013 11:00 am Pacific — archdpdx.org/

Here’s the info from EWTN:
Cathedrals Across America: The Mass Of Installation Of The Most Reverend Alexander K. Sample As The 11th Archbishop Of Portland
Mon. Apr. 8 at 2 PM ET
From The University of Portland’s Chiles Center — ewtn.com/tv/index.asp#sample

amsjj :)

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.
+ Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.
+ San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by
St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.
+ Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

Installation Mass's are generally much shorter than an Episcopal Ordination Mass. This is because there is no Ordination Rite, which is quite lengthy. Installation Mass are usually 2 hours in length give or take, Episcopal Ordination could be almost 3 hours. Both include the reading of the appointment and proclamation of the Pope by the Nuncio, then the (Arch)Bishop is installed at the Cathedra, and it's pretty much business as normal. The Ordination Rite begins with the questioning of the Bishop elect, then the Litany of the Saints, then the prayer of Ordination, the anointing of the Bishop's head, the reception of the Book of Gospels, the Bishop's ring, the Mitre, the Crozier, and finally the new Bishop is installed at the Cathedra. Then it's pretty much business as usual.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.