Installation of new Priest

On Saturday, July 2, there will be a Mass for the Installation of our new Pastor. While we will have a houseful of company for the holiday weekend, I’ll be heading in to town to attend this Mass. What will the installation be like?

(Also, please pray for Fr. Bill as he leaves for his new assignment, as well as for our new Fr. Eric.)

[quote=kage_ar]On Saturday, July 2, there will be a Mass for the Installation of our new Pastor. While we will have a houseful of company for the holiday weekend, I’ll be heading in to town to attend this Mass. What will the installation be like?

(Also, please pray for Fr. Bill as he leaves for his new assignment, as well as for our new Fr. Eric.)
[/quote]

I hope it works for the best. Sometimes new pastors think they are superman and the power gets to their heads where they alienate parish members and well, at the end operate in antagonism all the while a Bishop can knock them off their high horse (if the community puts pressure on the Bishop and makes enough noise) making the poor pastor end up with an ulcer while yet at the end he accoplished nothing. That is of course if they go in with an arrogant attitude and worse, hand or delegate thir power to ONE single lay person.

The Mass will most likely be a normal Mass with a rite of installation after the homily. This generally includes the signing and reading of the loyalty oath and an oath of fidelity to the local ordinary (the bishop) and his successors. Really a lovely Mass.

As always, obedient to Rome:

Adam

Maybe you will let us know what happens. In our diocese, the new pastor just shows up. It’s up to the faithful to welcome him. I found out that our present pastor was coming and wrote him a letter of welcome. He had never got one in his 20 years as a priest.

In our diocese all changes are effective July 1st. Since the Bishop’s time is limited, the installation mass for a new pastor usually occurs a couple of months later.

However we always greet any new priest with coffee and donuts after all masses on his first Sunday here. That makes a busy couple of days for him, since we have ten masses between Saturday evening and all day Sunday.

Likewise, we have coffee and donuts after all masses the preceding Sunday for the priest who is leaving.

If you will note, Jesus was often criticized for eating and drinking and generally partying too much. We feel that we should copy Him and never miss a chance for a party. :wink:

[quote=misericordie]I hope it works for the best. Sometimes new pastors think they are superman and the power gets to their heads where they alienate parish members and well, at the end operate in antagonism all the while a Bishop can knock them off their high horse (if the community puts pressure on the Bishop and makes enough noise) making the poor pastor end up with an ulcer while yet at the end he accoplished nothing. That is of course if they go in with an arrogant attitude and worse, hand or delegate thir power to ONE single lay person.
[/quote]

Blah, blah, blah.

Yes, yes… we all know that you have some kind of personal disagreement with your local priest. You’ve made reference to it many times.

But rather than try to resolve it, you come randomly into totally unrelated discussions and make vague slanderous accusations against ALL priests?

This is totally unacceptable. Please think about your actions.

Thanks to all - I had thought of writing a welcome letter, will do so now! Our former Priest had this Priest as a student years ago, so, at his last Mass - he asked the Parish to make him laugh sometimes. This “new” Priest is young, but, has been a Parish Pastor before.

Will follow up after the Mass!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.