Instead of small statues and pictures of Jesus, can I use desktop wallpaper of Jesus when Praying?

Many christians have their home altar. But what if you are travelling outside your country? Could you pray in front of Jesus’ wallpaper on your computer screen?

You can pray with anything that inspires you to pray. A wallpaper is absolutely fine. Even if you had nothing prayer would be fine.

A desktop image is the same as a picture in my eyes.

I see no reason why not. :slight_smile:

@Quis_UtDeus @Salmonslayer @Zaccheus It seems too “untraditional” and futuristic for me that’s all.

“for me” is the operative term…if for you it is not quite right, don’t do it, but if it is, who are we to judge?

People “traditionally” didn’t pray using a desktop image on their computer because they didn’t exist, not because there’s anything wrong with it.

You said ‘instead of small statues and pictures of Jesus, can I use desktop wallpaper of Jesus when praying?’

‘Use’ is the interesting part of this question and I agree we do use icons etc to help focus and prepare for prayer. In that sense then any religious image can help ‘set the mood’ so to speak, including desktop wallpaper if you haven’t got anything else imo. Personally I usually shut my eyes when praying so I rely on imagery rather than objects etc.

(As a matter of interest why do you describe yourself as Buddhist if you’re praying to Jesus? No offence.)

I am in my RCIA.

Oh that’s really good.
Can I make a suggestion, it might be a good idea to change your icon and description because sometimes I have viewed your questions with suspicion to be honest, I’m looking for the trick you see.

Maybe it’s just me and obviously you’re free to do what you will. :slightly_smiling_face:

God bless you on your journey!

That’s based on your personal spiritual preference of praying then. I can assure you as long as the image is reverent then there’s nothing sinful or wrong with it

You can and may, but I wouldn’t equate an electronic image of Christ with an actual icon. Blessed icons used in home altars or churches are sacramentals…objects that have been set apart for a holy purpose. Of course if we are talking about Eastern icons, there is a whole theology of icons as “windows to heaven”.

We venerate icons and statues - treat them with reverence - because they are holy. I don’t thing the same would be true of an image on your desktop- at least not in the same sense - but you can certainly still use it as a focal point for prayer.

And yet you fail to quote the actual scripture:-

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

And yet your profile says you are Catholic, curious. Also, it is rather curious how you refer to a ‘Catholic gathering’. Most interesting.

I keep a picture on my iPad wallpaper of Jesus beckoning to Peter to walk to Him across the water.
You don’t see Peter, it’s from his perspective, but you can see the stormy sky behind Jesus.
It reminds me to keep my eyes on Jesus when life gets tough.

This give me the idea to use the Divine Mercy image on my phone.

So when I get a panic attack, which has become a regular occurrence lately, I’ll look at the picture and say, “Jesus, I trust in you.”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.