Instead of worrying should I just trust in God?

Should I just hope and pray that I made a good confession? I'm constantly worried that I've made a bad confession, but if I trust in God I'll be ok, right?

All the priests I have heard on this subject that that it is not wholesome to be overly "scrupulous" on this matter. Just be sincere and truthful, and repent, and then trust God. I've always heard that God is not some sort of monster who is out to get us, out to trip us up, out to catch us in a fault and they use that to destroy us. God, rather, is on everyone's side, and is using everything in our lives on earth, our joys and our sufferings, as means to bring us to Him. God is a Father, and a good parent, and in fact the best parent there ever was or ever will be. Imagine the best dad in the world. That's God. Anyway, that's what I've heard many Catholic priests say.

God bless you.

I think You, like me, are struggling with scrupulosity.

Please check out Scrupulous Anyonmous!!

Satan would want nothing more than to have you continually worried about being in the state of grace. Go to confession,do the best you can and let God do the rest. Peace of Christ be with you.

God is looking for our salvation, not to cast us to Hell. Don't be overly worried about your confession, remember that He did create the world, so it's not as if a missed word in confession would prevent His mercy. You should be more focused on your actions going forward so that you don't have to repeat the same sins at your next confession.

At least you do go to Confession regularly. The minimum requirement is being in a contrite and truly repentant state when you do Confess i.e. you are truly sorry for the sin committed.

I confess every Saturday, but I still have an irrational fear of dying on the following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday without having confessed.

[quote="LEMAITRE, post:6, topic:307101"]
At least you do go to Confession regularly. The minimum requirement is being in a contrite and truly repentant state when you do Confess i.e. you are truly sorry for the sin committed.

I confess every Saturday, but I still have an irrational fear of dying on the following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday without having confessed.

[/quote]

Praying a daily act of contrition never hurts.

God gives us so many graces by the Holy Spirit, in the Sacraments.If your heart tells you you made a good confession, then trust God. If your having to much conflict, then pray the Holy Spirit reveal some thing you think you might of missed. If the Holy Spirit does, than get to confession.
God Bless

[quote="LEMAITRE, post:6, topic:307101"]

[/quote]

I think one of the reasons I am doubtful is because I was struggling so hard to feel/be sorry before confession. I prayed, and looked over my sins many, many times, but scrupulosity was blocking my train of thought. I trusted in God that he would help me during confession to be sorry and now that I think about it, I know he was there to help me through it. I did my best and all I can do is pray that God understands my intentions, and leave my soul in his hands. And stop worrying as well :)

I have been confessing once a week for a while now. I am always fearful or committing a sin following up to Mass on the weekend.

I believe that God has given me this situation because he wants me to trust in him and stop worrying. I either have a choice to go back to confession and reconfess all my sins, or live life without worrying like God wants me to

Please pray for me and I will do the same for you. :) :gopray2:
Thanks for the replies guys.

[quote="veryworried6277, post:9, topic:307101"]
I think one of the reasons I am doubtful is because I was struggling so hard to feel/be sorry before confession. I prayed, and looked over my sins many, many times, but scrupulosity was blocking my train of thought. I trusted in God that he would help me during confession to be sorry and now that I think about it, I know he was there to help me through it. I did my best and all I can do is pray that God understands my intentions, and leave my soul in his hands. And stop worrying as well :)

I have been confessing once a week for a while now. I am always fearful or committing a sin following up to Mass on the weekend.

I believe that God has given me this situation because he wants me to trust in him and stop worrying. I either have a choice to go back to confession and reconfess all my sins, or live life without worrying like God wants me to

Please pray for me and I will do the same for you. :) :gopray2:
Thanks for the replies guys.

[/quote]

Remember, we are only required to confess mortal sins, though we may confess venial sins if we choose to and it's good for most folks to do so--but if you are scrupulous, you may worry too much about what constitutes a sin.

Be sure and use the same confessor whenever possible, and as mymamamary suggested, try looking up Scrupulous Anonymous.

I have suffered from scrupes/ocd. worry. anxiety and while I am not cured- I have learned my FEAR of sin has nothing to do with being holy. It is irrational, and generated by fear. If you want be holy- be charitable. Be radically charitable. I think I may try this next time I am fearful or anxious.

This :thumbsup:

Hey,
Here is a good quote from St. Francis de Sales about the desire for contrition.

"The ability to wish is a great power with God, and thus you have contrition by the simple fact that you wish to have it. You do not feel it indeed at the moment, but neither do you see nor feel a fire covered with ashes, nevertheless the fire exists."

[quote="Johnny31897, post:13, topic:307101"]
Hey,
Here is a good quote from St. Francis de Sales about the desire for contrition.

[/quote]

Wow that's amazing. That makes me feel so much better. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.