Instructions Issued on Medjugorje by CDF via Apostolic Nuncio

ncregister.com/blog/pat-archbold/medjugorje-bombshell

In a dramatic move prior to the release of the final report on Medjugorje, The Papal Nuncio to the U.S. on behalf of the prefect of the CDF Archbishop Müller has issued instructions that no cleric or faithful may participate in any meetings, conferences, or public celebrations in which the authenticity of the apparitions are taken for granted.

I’m not seeing the “bombshell” here. :shrug: How is this different from the way it’s been for the past 20+ years? Indeed, in the letter itself, Archbishop Vigano presents things as though simply reiterating what has already been communicated previously.

Does this mean Notre Dame will cancel its annual Medjugorje conference?

I don’t see it so much as a “bombshell” as a reiteration that people, including priests and Catholic faithful, may not take part in conferences which appear to take the authenticity of the apparitions as an established fact.

However, it could be a precursor to a final report. It seems to me that too many people have taken these apparitions to be authentic despite warnings from the local bishop in charge.

I’m worried that despite these things people are still going to go to Medjugorje

If this is what the Bishops have decided we are suppose to obey it. That is all there is to it

Is this correct? Do you have a reference to the church’s position prior to this? This seems stronger from what I understood in the past. I thought the prohibition in the past was only clerics from leading groups to visit the site. Similar to what is expressed here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=64631

I am speaking from likely ignorance, but the new instructions seems much stronger to me.

The instruction does not state that people may not go to Medjugorje. It states that they may not participate in events that assume the validity of an apparition that has not been approved by the Church.

That does definitely seem to rule out most Medjugorje events, definitely, since the people that run them seem quite definitive in the manner with which they say that they are real.

The “bombshell” is that it is coming directly from the Vatican. Previously, if I recall, the Vatican’s statements were much less authoritative, directing the faithful to follow the instructions of the local bishop. The Bishop had previously directed that priests should not lead pilgrimages there. Now the Vatican is saying it themselves with an expectation of obedience on the part of the whole Church.

It is rare for the Vatican to say anything negative about private revelation. That is usually in the hands of the local ordinary - at least since the abandonment of the index.

I guess. I suppose I just cannot imagine that they would say anything differently. The investigation hasn’t concluded yet. And, until it is finished, no one can take for granted the authenticity of the apparitions. That seems like stating the obvious to me. :shrug:

EDIT: I guess what you’re saying is that it is significant that they said anything at all. Perhaps. Though this is really a leaked letter from the Nuncio to the U.S. Bishops. Who knows how many previous letters have been sent that have not been leaked.

I don’t think it was “leaked” since it was specifically intended to halt appearances by one of the “so called visionaries” in the US. Public knowledge would seem to be an intended result.

And about time. Good for them. :thumbsup:

The Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has instructed the Catholic faithful not to participate in events in which the “seers” of Medjugorje promise apparitions of …

More…

I would have to agree. There is nothing new here, it reflects the content of the Zadar declaration and the official position since then. The fact it comes from the head of the CDF through the nuncio to all the US Bishops certainly makes one raise ones eyebrows.

Again, I would ask what was the official church position prior to this? It seems much stronger to me, as I only remember clerics not being permitted to lead pilgrimages.

Is the the Zada Declaration you refer to?

DECLARATION

The bishops, from the very beginning, have been following the events of Medjugorje through the Bishop of the diocese (Mostar), the Bishop’s Commission and the Commission of the Bishops Conference of Yugoslavia on Medjugorje.

On the basis of the investigations, so far it cannot be affirmed that one is dealing with supernatural apparitions and revelations.

However, the numerous gatherings of the faithful from different parts of the world, who come to Medjugorje, prompted both by motives of belief and various other motives, require the attention and pastoral care in the first place of the diocesan bishop and with him of the other bishops also, so that in Medjugorje and in everything connected with it a healthy devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary may be promoted in accordance with the teaching of the Church.

For this purpose, the bishops will issue especially suitable liturgical-pastoral directives. Likewise, through their Commission they will continue to keep up with and investigate the entire event in Medjugorje.

In Zadar April 10, 1991
The Bishops of Yugoslavia

If so, the new instructions do much more than just reflect this statement.

I think they will too. People still need a sign, not much has changed since Christ.

This is long overdue, but I hope they are prepared for an onslaught of protests from the devotees who are a well organized group.

Fair enough. When I see a pdf of a letter written to someone else that appears on the internet for all to see, my mind jumps to “leak.” :o

Can’t we as Catholics have the mindset that it is possible that it is true too? I went to Medjugorje when I was 15 and it was a beautiful experience. My father had a complete reversion to the Catholic church through Mary that he believes stems from his visit to Medjugorje. I know we have to wait until the apparitions are completed and the Vatican has says something but it is also something to say that the fruits coming out of Medjugorje are not at all evil…they seem to come from Christ. I hold the position that it is a definite possibility that they are real and if they are not then I will accep tthat as well. All I’m saying is that the fruits I have seen are not those that the Evil one would find joy in.

There is no one here who hates Medjugorje. It isn’t that we have some pre-conceived notion that it is evil, but that we have seen bad results from it.

We know things by their fruits, and Medjugorje has successfully been a significant cause of dissension among the faithful. Those who believe in it often say they will apostacize if the Church condemns it, and the many Medjugorje events that happen all over the place are often hosted by charlatans.

Yes, we await the Church’s decision on the matter.

And yes, we will condemn anyone who says that this apparition is an approved, correct apparition before the Church says so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.