Instruments in Church

I am approached by “Church of Christ” members about the use of musical instrumentation in mass. They practice acappela singing, no musical instruments other than their voices. How do I refute these arguments when it is obvious the Church had no instruments in the first centuries? Why did we incorporate musical instruments into mass, and why does this not violate the early Church’s teaching? This is their claim:

As a result of the distinctive plea of the church - a return to New Testament Faith and practice - acapella singing is the only music used in the worship. This singing, unaccompanied by mechanical instruments of music, conforms to the music used in the apostolic church and for several centuries thereafter (Ephesians 5:19). This principle eliminates the use of instrumental music.

Worst case, if the early Church had no instruments, what would be the harm being done in using instruments now? You talk about "practice’ in one sentence, and “teaching” in another, but is the one automatically the other? In other words, who cares? So what? What’s the big deal? Why strain at this gnat?

I’ve always thought those arguments (against instruments) were a little absurd. I suppose they should’ve found a way to put a pipe organ in the catacombs? Never mind the attention that would’ve drawn … (In other words, there are very good reasons why instrumental music may not have been used which have nothing to do with whether or not instrumental music should be used.)

The Church didn’t have high altars with canopies in the first few centuries either, did it?

Why don’t you ask them about their use of invalid matter for the Precious Blood (grape juice instead of wine), which is in direct contradiction to the practice documented in the New Testament. Compared to that, the use of instruments in Church doesn’t seem that big of a deal.

Good luck arguing that point or any other with members of the Church of Christ. I have wasted countless hours and calories typing out carefully worded refutes to CoC arguments (on this, Mary, the saints, the Eucharist, the Pope, you name it), only to receive “well, your church is anti-biblical and pagan, my pastor says so” as a response. I don’t know what they’re teaching over there, other than falsehoods and bull-headedness, but I wouldn’t bother getting involved. They’re not taught to hear the other side of a debate or to think through an argument, nor are they given any information other than false blurbs that they can and will trot out repeatedly in an effort to wear down their opponents into agreeing with them. Simply say that you disagree, ask them to let God work it out, and refuse to discuss it further. Then pray that their minds and hearts will be opened to the truth.

[quote=SeekerJen]Good luck arguing that point or any other with members of the Church of Christ. I have wasted countless hours and calories typing out carefully worded refutes to CoC arguments (on this, Mary, the saints, the Eucharist, the Pope, you name it), only to receive “well, your church is anti-biblical and pagan, my pastor says so” as a response. I don’t know what they’re teaching over there, other than falsehoods and bull-headedness, but I wouldn’t bother getting involved. They’re not taught to hear the other side of a debate or to think through an argument, nor are they given any information other than false blurbs that they can and will trot out repeatedly in an effort to wear down their opponents into agreeing with them. Simply say that you disagree, ask them to let God work it out, and refuse to discuss it further. Then pray that their minds and hearts will be opened to the truth.
[/quote]

Flat out, they are a cult. I was briefly duped at some point in the past, but was able to get free before the mind-bending really started. The response you mention is post-mind-bending. Honestly, the best come-back to them is, your church was founded in 1979. Seen as they think no one but CoC-ers are saved, that’s an awfully long time before Christ founded his church. I am speaking of the International Church of Christ, not the more mainstream one.

As for Church music, Eph. 5:19 says nothing about whether instruments were used. They clearly were in the Old Testament. Did Jesus’ sacrifice somehow fulfill musical instrumentation?

several of the psalms speak of using musical instruments to praise the Lord, lute, hart, timbrels and other instruments I have no idea what they are, but the general idea is to make a joyful noise unto the Lord. can they cite a new testament prohibition in clear unambiguous language against instrumental music during worship?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.