Insulting Christmas

Hear what’s going on in Washington these days? There is an Atheist who put up a sign that reads, “There is no God, there is no heaven and hell, Religion isn’t there, we live in a natural world”. At the beginning he addresses this large poster with a “Happy Solstice”.
What’s really mind boggling is the Governor of Washington authorized it and she’s a Christian! People are freaking out over this ridiculous insult to Our Lord and Savior!
**CHRISTMAS IS A NATIONAL HOLIDAY PEOPLE! **Doesn’t she realize this? There is a phone number to call her, it was 380-908-4111, but I think the area code may be wrong here, I couldn’t remember the number. Maybe you all can research this and everyone here can her!!! That would be a lot of pressure to remove this from the courthouse where it stands.
This was all on Fox News tonight.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461205,00.html

Found the phone number, it’s 360-902-4111. I think everyone here needs to call and respectfully tell her how you feel. Let’s defend the birth of our Lord and Savior.

This is one issue ALL Christians can agree on.:nunchuk: :knight2: :knight1:

While I do agree with you to some extent and I of course do not agree with this man, he does have something called the right to free speech.

Great idea:thumbsup:

Christmas is NOT a National Holiday. As a matter of fact, it’s a pagan holiday, and it’s worldwide. :stuck_out_tongue: Christmas is only protected through the First Amendment: freedom of religion. The Atheist’s message is protected through that same amendment: freedom of speech, press, and petition.

I know it sucks when Atheists go hardcore on religious holidays, but I’m not sure why you’re all getting so offended by it. :confused: I highly doubt it will ruin Christmas.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Why is it OK on the one hand for in Chicago, for the mayor to light a Christmas tree, for there to be a Christkindl market in the downtown area, and for a creche to be in Daley plaza, but this kind of sign not be welcome in the public square? Fair’s fair after all. And Washington and Oregon have the lowest percentage of church-going Christians compared to other states, so that may have something to do with it too.

Um, actually, yeah, it is a federal holiday.

As a matter of fact, it’s a pagan holiday, and it’s worldwide. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, Christmas (Christ Mass) is a Catholic holiday, adopted and practiced in a transmorgrified way by some other groups as a secular celebration, which is oxymoronic. The Romans tried to establish an holiday called Saturnalia in order to “out-do” the Catholic Church in ancient times and encourage Pagans to stick to their own holidays.

Christmas is only protected through the First Amendment: freedom of religion. The Atheist’s message is protected through that same amendment: freedom of speech, press, and petition.

You’re wrong, Christmas is a federal holiday; athiests don’t have a federal holiday in December.

I know it sucks when Atheists go hardcore on religious holidays, but I’m not sure why you’re all getting so offended by it. :confused: I highly doubt it will ruin Christmas.

I think those poor, philosophically- and logically-bankrupt atheists should spend their time on something more constructive.

Thanks Matariel…how does a non-Catholic Christian here not know that Christ-mas is a National holiday? :confused: :shrug:

You’re right, but the person who posted this thread was unaware that constitutionally, there cannot be a national holiday. Regardless, it is worldwide.

I’m in no way an Atheist, but let’s not stoop down to their level by name-calling. We’re no more constructive than they are. There are hardcore Christians out there as their are hardcore Atheists. That’s a given.

If it is not a holiday, why the heck are all government things closed?

You are splitting hairs over the term “national.” It is a federal holiday, it is a state holiday in all states, and it is a local holiday in all municipalities that I know of. That makes it a nation-wide holiday.

I wish that were true. The largest most vicious attack against Christmas I have ever witnessed in this past week has been from my fundalmentalist friends. To the point of where I can barely even talk to them it is making me so angry.

I am tired of the sun god birthday anti-RCC nonsense, and I am not even Catholic!

I swear it is like they are channeling Jack Chic.

All of a sudden I am worshiping my Christmas tree! And I have pointed out all their verses they throw at me are a moot point, as they are barking up the wrong kind of tree. My Christmas tree was not worked with an axe, still has its branches, is not nailed and covered with precious metals and neither does it have designs carved into it. I do not cut myself under it as I am not that emo, though I wish my lawn was. And I take my tree down after Christmas.

They are also using a book to back them up called Blinded by the Sun, and one of its sources IS JACK CHIC. I also brought out that another source is Alexander Hislop’s* “The Two Babylons” *which was written in 1853. And how it is also now known that much of that information was inaccurate, so to use it now as “gospel truth” would be inexcusable.
They said I am insulting God, so I brought their attention to this verse, and even used the KJV ,

Malachi 4:2

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the** Sun** of righteousness arise with healing in his wings.

And mentioned that there are many descriptive words for Jesus used in the bible and the word Sun was not a misprint.

I also told them that God was very intelligent and knows it is the birth of His Sun of righteousness that I am celebrating.

Most had no response.

Eh, I decided why bother, why argue? In all reality though I am really surprised, another group of friends I know both online and in my area have also gone this legalistic route.

Darn it, I may have to hang with you Catholics for a while, and more than likely at Easter as well! Just remember, I don’t swim and I am allergic to the Tiber!

The Catholic Church Fathers would come in handy. :thumbsup:

Although I do have to agree with them that Christmas (Christ Mass) is a Catholic holiday…

How funny. :slight_smile: Let’s pray for this atheist.

I agree there too, but you must understand, what they see as Catholic and what you know to be Catholic are two separate things. They see the RCC as an ancient Babylonian Occultic Religion.

And ya know? I am calling that number at the beginning of this thread, to protest too.

Agreed.

I’m in no way an Atheist, but let’s not stoop down to their level by name-calling. We’re no more constructive than they are. There are hardcore Christians out there as their are hardcore Atheists. That’s a given.

I did not call atheists names; I merely pointed out that, without a Being (personal or not) outside of Creation (a Creator) there can be no creation. And atheists, for as long back as I’ve seen, have never been able start from square one. And besides, do you really think that atheists exist? I don’t. Whatever one considers of highest value is their god, whether it is themself or the God in Heaven.

Salaam/peace

Is there any verse in Bible that says Christmas is the birthday of Jesus § ? Jesus § ever celebrated Christmas ?

As-salaamu alaikum my sister

Arguing the validity of Christmas at this time of year can only end badly, in my opinion.

That Christmas is a national holiday for most posters here is a simple fact, and something cherished by people around the world. Whether celebrated as a time to remember their religious traditions or merely to spend time with family and away from work, there’s not really any benefiting in attacking something so beloved as Christmas.

The birthday of Muhammad, for instance, which is celebrated as a national holiday in just about every Muslim country except one, was neither celebrated by Muhammad nor mentioned in the Qur’an. Yet people take it as an opportunity to celebrate.

So attacking Christmas on religious grounds seems hypocritical at best and blasphemous otherwise. And the Qur’an instructs us to argue only in the ways that are best and most gracious (16:125.)

Please take my words in the spirit in which they were meant… and of course, Eid Mubarak (a little bit early.) :slight_smile:

That’s true except one Christian church- United Church of Christ and its affiliate Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

Good Lord…:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.