Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him

Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.
The classified briefings last week were presented by four of the senior-most US intelligence chiefs – Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, FBI Director James Comey, CIA Director John Brennan, and NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers.

One reason the nation’s intelligence chiefs took the extraordinary step of including the synopsis in the briefing documents was to make the President-elect aware that such allegations involving him are circulating among intelligence agencies, senior members of Congress and other government officials in Washington, multiple sources tell CNN.

Sources tell CNN that these same allegations about communications between the Trump campaign and the Russians, mentioned in classified briefings for congressional leaders last year, prompted then-Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid to send a letter to FBI Director Comey in October, in which he wrote, “It has become clear that you possess explosive information about close ties and coordination between Donald Trump, his top advisors, and the Russian government – a foreign interest openly hostile to the United States.”

cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

So much to comment on…

But there’s nothing to see here, folks.

I would hope the President-elect received data revealing the IP address that was traced to the ISP to a DHCP log that showed the MAC address (actual or cloned) of the device the intruder utilized. The synopsis that was available to the rest of the world was lacking.

Seems like plenty to see here actually…

buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.vd2r2vbva#.ps0k8dxde

I suggest reading the dossier. It’s disturbing to say the least.

If confirmed, Trump has been thoroughly compromised by the FSB through both direct ties and blackmail material that include recordings of Trump engaging in “perverted sexual acts.”

It’s little wonder Trump is pushing so hard to “move on.” This information could bring down his presidency even before it starts. It amounts to Watergate and the Bill Clinton scandals rolled into one package with some international espionage/treason thrown in for good measure. Your next president ladies and gentlemen…

I have to agree…this is far from over and could result in a first…the actual conviction and removal of a sitting president. I do not want to see that because of the impact it will have on our nation, but it may be unavoidable.

Sorry, I was being facetious.

I saw that Buzzfeed piece, too, and…well… :eek:

No detailed specifics or methods.

Have a Senate hearing and get transparent or the non-biased public isn’t buying it. Nor should they.

From link (bold text my emphases)

The allegations are unverified, and the report contains errors.

True, but if they can verify even a fraction of it… Trump is done. The Republican Party will turn on him faster than Trump can turn on someone on Twitter.

President Pence anyone?

Why would they do that?

Why would that happen? If Russians managed to somehow gain personal information about Trump, would Trump be at fault for that?

Why would that happen? If Russians managed to somehow gain personal information about Trump, would Trump be at fault for that ?

Agreed, Open hearings are the only way to clear the air…one way or another.

People won’t give this up, will they? Trump is really done now.

If there is actual incriminating data, no arguments here.

Read the dossier. It’s not just simple personal information about Trump they’ve got according to what’s been published. There’s Watergate equivalent behavior, illegal sexual acts, intimate and illegal business ties… all of it easily used as blackmail against a soon to be sitting president in addition to being impeachable material.

Agreed. Open and extensive hearings and investigation should be undertaken by Congress and the Justice Department at the very least. If any of this is true it’s a frightening and damning development.

I don’t give the Buzzfeed piece a lot of credence…yet. But if Russia has information about our next president that can be used to blackmail him? Um, we should all be worried about that kind of possibility.

The contents would be the deciding factor. If the PE is found to have been in league with Putin or others in election tampering…that is treason. Even lesser proofs would be sufficient to determine him unfit.
A Quinnipiac poll found Trump’s favorability has slipped to 37%…the lowest ever for a PE.

But the article says it has “errors” and it’s not verified information.

True, the information would clearly need to be verified and the errors/omissions corrected. But again, if even a fraction of it is true, we’ve impeached (or begun impeachment proceedings against) sitting presidents for less.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.