Intel to cut 12,000 jobs, 11 percent of workforce

msn.com/en-us/money/companies/intel-to-cut-12000-jobs-11-percent-of-workforce/ar-BBrZ6ud?ocid=ansmsnmoney11

Intel is a big supporter of increasing H-1B visas, citing a shortage of American STEM workers, and was also a part to Silicon Valley’s wage fixing scheme.

(cnet.com/news/google-adobe-apple-intel-settle-wage-fixing-lawsuit/)

Stories like this illustrate why outsiders like Trump and Sanders are gaining so much support. Industry and the government are working together to the detriment of average Americans. A college degree, especially one in a STEM field was a ticket to the middle to upper middle class, now it’s a ticket to 6-figures worth of college loan debt and a job at Starbucks serving Frappacinos. This will not end well.

Please explain H1-B visas.

Thank you,
Ed

H-1B visas allow employers to import foreign workers in specialty occupations, like STEM fields.

Thanks. I appreciate your taking the time.

Ed

I have to agree with Trump of the subject of Trade. Outside, of getting cheap goods at Walmart, I don’t see the benefit to the American people. We are also creating huge trade deficits, encouraging poor working conditions overseas and decaying our tax base at home. Not surprising that there is so much animosity against “business as usual” in government.

You have heard the line; we don’t produce anything anymore! However, watch Intel closely, they will built or expand one of their factories overseas and post “record” earnings! Worst part is because of trade laws, they will not be paying any taxes in the U.S…I think we have seen this before…

I suspect you’re right. Importing cheezy consumer goods and exporting jobs seems to be the economy nowadays.

The old line is true, we dont really make anything anymore, and really when was the last time you heard of some great new invention or idea? In past decades, there was always inventors out there, working on the next big thing, setting up displays in public to show it off, etc, but I cant think of anything remotely close to this in the past 15-25 yrs.

The Segway was the most recent that I can think of and that really didnt go anywhere. Seems like with all the smart people in the US today, we should be hearing and seeing all kinds of new groundbreaking things.

I guess you could say cell phones fall into this category, but even the latest iphone is not that much different from the one 3 years old…where are all the inventors trying to come up with the thing that will replace the cell phone, household appliances, cars/ trucks, vacuum cleaners, etc etc etc…???

Have we sort of ‘plateaued’ in technology I wonder?

Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899. Mr. Deull’s most famous attributed utterance is that “everything that can be invented has been invented.” I am not certain if the statement was truly uttered? However, it states a lot about our sometimes lack of exploration.

Technology created such a revolution in just the last twenty years. But I feel that the focus has to be on innovation and not how we can cheapen what already exist. Politicians have done such a good job in selling us on the “trickle down” theory. The worst part is that if you even mention the idea that your boss earns thousands of times the salary of the rank & file worker, you are subject to remarks of being class envy. We open this door to disparity and the worst part is that we welcome this devil in…

The invention secrecy act of 1951 ensured none of the great, groundbreaking things, would ever reach the public imo.

Ive read thru some of the inventions that were withheld from the public,(the ones from the 1950s and 60s are declassified now), mainly I think due to them being ‘too good’, and would lead to the downfall of large industries and people not needing to spend money on things many companies rely on today.

No, not at all.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160418145458.htm

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160419103847.htm

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160420211136.htm

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160420120550.htm

sciencedaily.com/videos/9555c7513ea503824dba337d39c3272f.htm

Ed

I am not certain of the reports you are referencing? But, isn’t that part “Urban Legend”? Growing up, I heard of people creating minor adjustments that make the average vehicle reach 100 mpg? Than that person being closed down by the big auto makers. These days I am not certain that we would be able to silence a good idea? Even if it meant opposing competition.

What I am emphasizing is that our “race to the bottom” hurts us more than we admit. Innovation should not be synonymous with cheapen. America needs to create jobs that are sustainable for its citizens. Otherwise, we are creating a greater need of government help in our lives and at the same time we are eradicating the tax-base to pay for the services.

No, the Invention Secrecy act of 1951 is a very real thing, you can download a list of some of the things the Govt felt needed to be kept from society.

I read over awhile back, there was alot of stuff on there, quite a few very high MPG engines and conversions, parts that require no maintenance for their lifespan, etc.

Its broken down into categories I mostly read the section dealing with cars and engines, its fascinating to see some of things we are not allowed to have…they could have changed the world and done away with many big industries we pay so much money to today.

Oh they can definitely keep something silent if it would be too harmful to the economy or large industries, they control the patents, if they are determined to be on this list, they are buried and classified, so no one could produce or sell these things.

You do not find it odd, we are in the year 2016 and we all still drive cars with internal combustion engines, requiring us to buy fuel to run them? LOL I find it curious in the 100+ years since this engine has been around, not one person has come up with a better idea yet? Electric cars may be the exception, but they are rare and when they are available, the sticker price is so high, they are getting the money one way or another, be sure, whatever means fuel our cars, it will be something that can be ‘metered’.

Thats why Teslas engine design is still classified, no way to meter electromagnetism to the public, so driving a car would essentially be free…NO WAY would they allow that. It is even documented that was the reason why the plans were and remain classified, Such a thing would cause the oil industry to go bankrupt and thus, be detrimental to the US economy… Ive read about this topic indepth.

I do agree with though, Govt needs to get out of this business and just let progress happen on its on, no matter how bad it may be for some industries.

Conspiracy theories and too-good-to-be-true inventions do capture the imagination, don’t they? The Internet is chock full of them. There is no end to cars that run on free energy and top secret disruptive technologies. These stories live on because they play into the scientific illiteracy and wishful thinking that is way too common.

Tesla’s design is proprietary and is being protected by patent laws, not from any government effort to hide the truth from the American people. It’s just like Apple protecting the rights not to allow government open source access to its coding. The fear is that the information will find its way into the hands of the competitors. We know that every American company wants an upper-hand against its competition.

Protection from others coping is fine. Where I have a problem is allowing American companies to take advantage of cheap overseas labor simply to increase their own profits while providing little tangible contributions. Unless as in Apple’s case, you feel providing six hundred dollar cell phones that contain a very large profit margin is a contributing factor to a better America…

I can understand that, but why cant I go buy a car powered by an electromagnetic engine by at least one manufacturer? Why is the legal owner of the patent not using it to make and sell products?

All electric motors are electromagnetic engines. Every Nissan Leaf has an electromagnetic motor. You have been able to buy them for quite a few years.

If, however, you are talking about the therrmomagnetic motor invented by Nicolas Tesla, it is a fairy tale, despite the patent issued. Actually there are quite a few patents issued for things that do not exist.

The solution is to raise their taxes and pass laws making it more expensive to employ people

Who is suggesting that?

First, we got to remove the idea that if we have less taxes, we will grow the economy? That is like me saying that I am going to quit my job and start using my line of credit to improve my prosperity…it will work for a short time.

I worked with companies that bring workers in with the VISA program. Yes, they are smart kids (typically young (under 30) people in my experience), but their expendable. Meaning that it is not hard to find a replacement. In many cases, they are replacing a worker that cost the company benefits, paid time off and other amenities that the VISA worker is not entitled. The company also gets the added benefit of sending them back after a period of time. It also makes it easy to ship them back if there are any issues.

In the Tech industry were you often see this, a kid coming out of Stanford is not going to work for 38-43k…he will not be able to start paying back his student loans much less meet his living expenses. Yet, a company can state that they cannot find someone locally with the required skills. The dummies are those of us that believe this is true!

Now in regards to Intel, they have facilities all over the world. One foolish thing that I see is why do we allow a company to move most of its facility overseas and yet the majority of their revenue is generated in the United States.

People, we are shooting ourselves in the foot…

The problem is, in the US, taxes eventually are going to have to increase. If we want the level of government spending we have, we all are going to have to pay more in taxes. The republicans make noise about wanting smaller government, but if you look at what they actually do, they never shrink government. We need to have an adult conversation about taxes. The democrats seem oblivious to tax policy and republicans just cover their ears and stamp their feet.

I worked with companies that bring workers in with the VISA program. Yes, they are smart kids (typically young (under 30) people in my experience), but their expendable. Meaning that it is not hard to find a replacement. In many cases, they are replacing a worker that cost the company benefits, paid time off and other amenities that the VISA worker is not entitled. The company also gets the added benefit of sending them back after a period of time. It also makes it easy to ship them back if there are any issues.

In the Tech industry were you often see this, a kid coming out of Stanford is not going to work for 38-43k…he will not be able to start paying back his student loans much less meet his living expenses. Yet, a company can state that they cannot find someone locally with the required skills. The dummies are those of us that believe this is true!

Now in regards to Intel, they have facilities all over the world. One foolish thing that I see is why do we allow a company to move most of its facility overseas and yet the majority of their revenue is generated in the United States.

People, we are shooting ourselves in the foot…

In my field, we would not survive without the H1B visa program. When we advertise for a job, few Americans apply and fewer want to interview once their hear how much we pay.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.