Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God'

I didn’t post this thread on another forum. However, I did recently post this thread about the author here:

iidb.infidels.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=250602

And I am very glad to know that Richard Lynn is an atheist.

Our visiting priest has numerous degrees, has written at least seven books, is a amateur ham radio operator. is a member of Mensa. speaks several languages and is one of the most compassionate people I know.

I don’t know why, but all this talk of pride and intelligence reminds me of this interchange from The Princess Bride:

Vizzini: I can’t compete with you physically, and you’re no match for my brains.
Westley: You’re that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Westley: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

And…

Vizzini: HE DIDN’T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I think most of these “intelligent” atheists are probably similar in prideful mindset to Vizzini.

“Inconceivable!” :smiley:

Your story reminds me of a conversation I had on my planeride home yesterday. The gentleman I was next to is a field engineer for metrology equipment in the semiconductor market. He has a two-year degree in laser technology he got after working on oil rigs for the first half of his working life. He works with a bunch of PhDs including his boss. After his boss insisted on “fixing” a particle count problem (it took him two days) at one of the largest semiconductor manufacturers, this gentleman had to go in and actually fix it. It took him a half hour to remove the “fix” the PhD and get the particle count under control for the customer.

Any salesman (such as myself) who has had to help PhDs get the projector to work correctly in a presentation can relate. :thumbsup:

Then again, despite only two years of college education, I am very aware that I am a geeeenius! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I must be the dumb one around here. Mine’s only 129. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s amazing you can type…:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

so now it is a contest about who has the highest IQ?

i always say there is booksmart and there is common sense smart.

Exactly!

wisdom 3:5 broke it down well here: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=4084549&postcount=11

The idea to some “intelligent” people that God exists? Inconceivable! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry. i re-read what i posted. And it did look like i meant you posted this on another site. I didn’t mean you. when i said o.p i meant the op on the other site.

rlg94086: I know what you mean. I use to work at a wheat research facility, and honestly some of the scientist didn’t even know how to use a shovel. But when it came to understanding the genetics of wheat. they were a genius. but some other things…oy vae.
And i wouldn’t put too much credence into iq’s, Marylin Monroe had a higher iq than einstein.
mines 145 btw:D

You are also a geeenius! :smiley: Inconceivable!

Not all academics are the same. But, as I wended my way through college and professional school, I knew a fair number of people whose aspirations were in that direction. Most of them did become academics eventually.

I’m not saying my observations have universal application, but it did seem to me they really were different from many others, including me.

Most students, including many of the very brightest, had a sort of social orientation, and not just in their personal lives. Most were anxious to do things that are “real”; part of the hurlyburly of life. The aspiring academics, however, seemed to me to be “divorced” from all that. It seemed to me most had an affirmative distaste for the “real”, and were oriented toward endless hours of theoretical discussion that (one knew in one’s heart) would never result in any practical resolution of anything at all.

I will admit I often enjoyed joining in those discussions. I had a lot of curiosity and, as the aspiring academics were usually very widely read, it was interesting to hear what this theoretician or that maintained. But there was always something missing. There were no resolutions. There were no practical applications. I was very fortunate in that I happened to have had a lot of exposure to the world of working adults in many walks of life, and very much enjoyed knowing about that world; from farming to banking to medicine and law. (I was extremely lucky in the sheer chance of my associations) I remember now and then commenting to the academics “No, no, that’s not what people really do” or “But that’s not really how it works” or some such, and they would get quite impatient with me.

I am not trying to characterize all academics here. The old bromide “Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach” has always seemed wide of the mark to me. It’s not a matter of ability, it seems to me. It’s more a matter of orientation. Those who teach really don’t want to “do”, and are often not terribly interested in how things work out “on the ground”, as the surveyors say.

Now, just as being in the hurlyburly of life “on the ground” is not greatly attractive to many academics, I have wondered whether the world they inhabit and to which they are drawn divorces many of them from the reality of humanity in other ways.

In my occupation, I deal with people. There is definitely a body of highly theoretical knowledge, but virtually everything is actually the management of people and the realities and conflicts of life. Those with whom I deal are almost always stressed and are often at their very worst. At a point it dawned on me why I was attracted to what I do. I actually began to see the “Divine spark” in people during their struggles, and it became clearer and clearer what there is to love in them and why we should do that.

And some of my former peers who became academics are miles away from those struggles and fears and hopes; from the “building up” and the “tearing down” that goes on in life. There is no possibility at all that they are seeing what I am seeing in the precise way in which I am seeing it. So there is a void. They live solely in the theoretical aspect of the profession and chose that.

It has sometimes seemed to me that if aspiring academics do have a sort of aversion to the “life among people”; the life of struggles that are not merely intellectual or theoretical but real; experienced “on one’s hide”, so to speak, and if their world is composed mainly of those of similar orientation, it is not surprising that they miss out on something very important in their day-to-day lives.

And, of course, if the writers of note tend to be sceptical, cynical or even nihilistic in their views of things, unchecked by the realities “on the ground”, that’s what the academics are going to discuss among themselves in those endless discussions to which they are given.

I will again say that I do not paint all academics with the same brush here. Many are exceptionally fine and moral people. But I do think sometimes “intellectuals” are reminiscent of the “flower symbolism” in D.H. Lawrence’s works. Like cut flowers, their output would be more fruitful if they had roots planted in the ground.

And no, I’m not going to put my IQ on here. I don’t want to embarrass R.W. Morris. (And if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’ll sell you for a song.)

First off the red sox are awesome:thumbsup:
But seriously I have doubt that your wife has an IQ of 150 that’s 8 points less than Einstein himself the developer of quantum mechanics. I know many highly intelligent athiests and trust me there for the most part very passionate about there atheism

~Peace~:thumbsup:

Actually, I think the IQ in this case is based on how much you unthinkingly subscribe to the Liberal (tending towards Marxist) mindset. :cool:

Although they are probably not as passionate about their spelling.

As a former member of MENSA, I consider myself to be a firm believer in God.
In any case, what does a persons IQ have to do with their belief in God?

Kathy

It’s online spelling doesn’t matter I type fast lol

Consider:

Most autistic people do not register above average on IQ tests, but on similar testing, they can test incredibly higher. IQ only tests one type of intelligence. There are like, eighteen or seventeen distinguished types of intelligence? And which one relates to how strongly one individual believes in God?

When science muddles in theology, it becomes pseudoscience. :wink:

Intelligence doesn’t bring you one inch closer to God.

What or who are the “intellectual elite”?

My Father has an I.Q. of 157, my aunt had an I.Q. of 164, my daughter has an I.Q. of 180, my Grandmother had an I.Q. of 150.

They were/are all God-Fearing christians. It seems to me that if Richard Lynn’s statistics held up then I should be able to sample the population around me and come up with similar results. However, it doesn’t pan out. The sample of the population around me say that the most intelligent among us are God-Fearing Christians after all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.