Intent

Would receiving Communion while intending to commit what is perceived as a venial sin be a desecration of the Eucharist?
Would this be presumption?

[quote="Hobbes42, post:1, topic:342048"]
Would receiving Communion while intending to commit what is perceived as a venial sin be a desecration of the Eucharist?
Would this be presumption?

[/quote]

Only mortal sin excludes from the Eucharist. Since actual venial sin doesn't exclude, I don't think intended venial sin could.

But, why do you intend to commit venial sin? Also, are you sure you're not deluding yourself that something that is grave matter (hence mortal sin with knowledge and consent) is only venial.

God Bless

My question was whether the intent would cause such ramification as at that point, as I was still unsure if the action intended was even sinful or not.

Thanks for the answer. I'm going to discuss this further with a priest. (I am still trying to figure out if the action intended is a sin or not, at this point I don't believe so)

[quote="Hobbes42, post:3, topic:342048"]
My question was whether the intent would cause such ramification as at that point, as I was still unsure if the action intended was even sinful or not.

Thanks for the answer. I'm going to discuss this further with a priest. (I am still trying to figure out if the action intended is a sin or not, at this point I don't believe so)

[/quote]

I would say the best course is to hold off on the action until you know if it sinful.

God Bless

[quote="bilop, post:4, topic:342048"]
I would say the best course is to hold off on the action until you know if it sinful.

God Bless

[/quote]

That's the plan. I lost perspective for a moment, after a bit of reflection I have decided that I need to make sure of that.

Many thanks for the quick replies.

If you are planning on committing a sin of any kind you cannot accept communion because you do not have a clear conscience with yourself and with God. Just my humble opinion. Please see CCC for correct information.

[quote="Hobbes42, post:3, topic:342048"]

[/quote]

I think its not just a case of being able to receive Communion because you are free from mortal sin. I think you also have to be properly disposed to receive. If you are in the Communion line intending to commit a sin (whatever it is) I would not call that properly disposed.

Exactly!
Planning to deliberately commit a venial sin is itself starting to get a bit serious as most venial sins don’t really work this way. Doing so at the Eucharist sounds even more concerning :eek:.

You may like to provide a bit of detail to “ground” the discussion.

The issue was more likely due to minor scrupulosity more than anything else. I had decided that the action was not sinful, but due to OCD/scrupulosity I assumed a "worse case scenario" outcome.

[quote="Hobbes42, post:9, topic:342048"]
The issue was more likely due to minor scrupulosity more than anything else. I had decided that the action was not sinful, but due to OCD/scrupulosity I assumed a "worse case scenario" outcome.

[/quote]

To be clear, this is some sort of involuntary behaviour on your part?

If the behavour is because of some sort of mental condition, then the behaviour should not be deemed to be sinful as it is completely involuntary i would have thought?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.