Interactions with Evangelicals?

Which is one of the issues I had with my work colleague…some in his non-denomination baptise babies, some don’t…it led to an interesting discussion about Authority.

Well, you could have had that discussion with the early Church as well, since the same diversity of practice existed then:p

Now if they rebaptize people, that’s a whole different ballgame.

Edwin

One of the Top Five Reasons that I converted from Evangelical Protestantism to Catholicism is a book by an Evangelical Protestant.

Being the Body, by Charles Colson

This book is an entreaty for Catholics, Protestants, and the Orthodox to unite.

Mr. Colson (RIP) doesn’t speak for all Evangelical Protestants, but he was very close to a “pope” for many Evangelical Protestants. (The other “pope” is Dr. James Dobson, whom I also love!) I would say that many Evangelical Protestants share Mr. Colson’s viewpoints about Catholicism, although as another poster pointed out, there are many varieties of Evangelical Protestant, so you should never, ever make any assumptions!

Read this book. Whether you are a Catholic or Protestant, read this book! It’s so awesome.

Many of us felt that Mr. Colson died because Satan wanted him dead to stop his pro-Catholic teaching that was urging Protestants and Catholics (and Orthodox) to unite. Colson had so much influence and trust, that it’s entirely feasible that had he lived, we might be seeing the “One Church” that Jesus prayed for in John 17.

I came home to Catholicism, in large part because of Mr. Colson’s teachings!

But I’m beginning to think that Mr. Colson died because, like so many other saints, he can do more good for Christians on earth by being in heaven and praying for us. At any rate, he is greatly missed here on earth, and I’m not so sure that anyone will ever take his place. :crying:

I am a bit surprised by the “re-baptism” practice.

a good number of protestant groups do not recognise catholic baptism and re-baptise ex catholics wishing to join their groups.Sad,isnt it?:sad_yes:

Is it an issue of not recognizing catholic baptism or the belief in baptizing only adults? Is “born again” a factor?

It’s not just “ex catholics.” Usually its anyone who received infant baptism or often less than full immersion.

Remember, many Evangelical churches (but not all) have pretty much the same view of baptism that Baptist churches have, i.e. baptism is only really baptism if it is done post-age of accountability and in the proper mode.

Evangelicals don’t see baptism as salvific or regenerative, so refusing to recognize someone’s baptism is not a judgment that they are not a Christian.

It’s actually both depending on the church.

Go figure there’s no theological consensus.

For my experience, it was never pushed, baptism. I t was purely symbolic and a. “Public confession of our faith”. As such it was also a sign of professing a new found faith in Christ.

We didn’t go around condemning Catholic baptism, although we thought it was erroneous as only adults should do it, but we also did not question a baptized catholic wanting to be baptized as an adult, making his faith his own.

We didn’t have confirmation, and perhaps re baptizing served as a sort of confirmation.

In reference to being “born again,” that’s how we think it should work. Ideally, someone comes to faith in Christ, repents of his/her sins, and then is baptized.

Sometimes, evangelicals who were baptized as children or teens later grow more deeply in their faith (or never really had any faith at the time of their baptism) may feel a desire to repeat baptism. Evangelicals don’t really object to this, it can be sort of a re-affirmation of your baptism, but it’s not something that’s required or encouraged.

Oh it’s believer’s baptism only…apart from those in his group who infant baptise…both arguing from the Bible alone they are correct…his group cannot agree which is Biblical, they have also had ‘development of doctrine’ where ministers and payment is concerned.

Interestingly, at least Lutherans [and probably Catholics] accept baptism in an Evangelical church so long as the Trinitarian formula is used

All of my interactions with evangelicals, in particular Southern Baptist, has always been positive. In fact, I always admired their bravery in proclaiming the faith and they never insulted me or the Church. All they ever really wanted to know was do I believe in Jesus Christ and is he my savior. I say yes and they are fine because the question is asked out of love not religious bigotry. In college I attended an evangelical bible study and it was great. My worst experience, I will have to say, is with fellow Catholics. I have never heard a Catholic evangelize and in college they were degenerates, as was I. (I went to a Catholic college my first semester of college).

I wonder if any Catholics here have had any significant interactions with evangelical christians?

I have.

If so, what do they think of us? It seems in recent years, that many do in fact consider us “christians” and are willing to overlook our differences. Many believe we are saved… as if they knew…:rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but the whole notion of Catholics as “Idol worshipin’, pagan idolaters” seems to be one from the past ( albeit still exiting among groups such as Westboro baptist Church"

The ones I know are so busy dealing with the narratives in their own minds about such things as doctrine, their relationship to God and fellow humans, and moreover the meaning of life, they hardly seem to have an opinion of us. They’re as busy trying to jam their lives into a conceptual template as anyone else, including us.

I live in Minnesota. The only biggest faith group here are the Lutherans, a pretty tame and tolerant bunch, despite their doctrinal errors:)

And of course the Lutherans might say the same of us, because you see, in the thinking of most of us who belong to organized religions the view is that everyone else has some sort of belief system that is flawed in some way, whereas we have the truth. If this were not true, there would be only one denomination. Instead there are many, and in regards to what we believe about each other, well, therein lies our greatest similarities. Whenever the right hand slaps the left, it is felt equally by both.

There aren’t as many Evangelicals in my area compared to the Midwest/ Texas. But Baptists have some very large churches in New York; mostly Black. Would a typical Baptist be considered evangelical?

No not really. Evangelicals have similar theology but less structure than baptists.

Most evangelical churches are pretty autonomous.

Jon, I hope this doesn’t come across as rude, but both your statements are mistaken.

Some Baptist groups are Fundamentalists, but many are Evangelicals.

Evangelicals can be in found in churches with the whole spectrum of types of church structure.

Is there any area of disagreement between Baptists and Evangelicals?

Other posters like Itwin and BeProfOSX can give better answers than I, but to put it concisely, Baptists are a subset of Evangelicals, except for those Baptists who are Fundamentalists.

One area where not all Evangelicals would be in agreement with Baptists is the practice of infant baptism. The Evangelical Congregational church I grew up in has roots in being (very roughly) a Methodist church for the Pennsylvania Germans who didn’t speak English in PA’s early days of European settlement. We practice both infant baptism and adult baptism, calling both a sacrament. The Evangelical Free Church denomination I now attend has Lutheran roots, and again, both types of baptism are practiced.

Baptists, however, only consider believer’s baptism to be complete baptism. So when they baptize someone after a confession of faith, even if that person was baptized as an infant by any other church, Baptists believe that is that person’s first baptism, not a re-baptism.

Yes. Historically they are. Most continue to be. There are some liberal or theologically “progressive” Baptists who would not be considered and wouldn’t consider themselves Evangelical but these tend to be in the tolerant Baptist denominations like American Baptist Churches USA (which can have the “anything goes” and “all are welcome” mentality of the mainline Protestants). Of course, MANY Baptists in the ABCUSA are Evangelical; however, there are those that are not.

What??? This makes no sense. ALLLLLLLL Baptist churches are autonomous. Whether they are part of a local association or a national Convention, it doesn’t matter. All Baptist churches are fundamentally autonomous as an article of faith.

I agree.

As a (evangelical) Pentecostal, I disagree Baptist ideas about pneumatology and the like. However, that isn’t because they “aren’t Evangelical.” It’s because Evangelicalism is diverse.

If you want to see an “Evangelical” denomination, look at the Southern Baptist Convention.

They re-baptized my sister and dad when they became Baptists…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.