Intercession of the Saints in praying

This is a continuation of another topic on another forum.

The statement made (in relation to the Noveana to St. Michael the Archangel) was:

“Between praying to St. Michael the Archangel, and Praying to God, I choose God.”

Is this correct, incorrect or besides the point? comments?

I didn’t see the original posts. Are they trying to say that given the choice to pray to St. Michael only or to God only, then they choose to pray to God only?

If so, fine, but that’s a false choice. Nobody I know has to choose between the two. I don’t understand why so many think everything has to be either-or instead of both-and.

There is a difference in the two kinds of prayer, though. We pray to God to worship Him, or ask for things, or to ask Him to show mercy, etc. We pray to saints to ask them to pray to God on our behalf, because they are so much closer to Him, and righteous, than we are.

Exactly.

The person in question posted a “modified” version of the Prayer to St Michael the Archangel because they pray to God, not St. Michael.

Original Novena:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

“Modified” Novena:

"Holy Merciful Father, forgive us our sins of which we truly repent,
defend us in battle [with the help of your angels].
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Heavenly Host -
by your divine power -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.