Intercessions or rather prayers

Dear brothers and sisters:

I used the search function for intercessions or rather prayers, so I hope this is the correct board’s section.

I would like to ask you to give me some tips how to make intercessions (at home) more powerful and longer like a prayer. I would like to pray for myself (e.g. walking through hard times, finding the right girlfriend) and for other people (e.g. my family, (poor) foreigners, sick persons)!

In my opinion, intercessions are often quite short like a list. I would like to pray intercessions like prayers. Do you know any phrases that I can use at beginning and in the middle of my respective intercession, before I tell God / Jesus Christ my wish?
I would like to make my intercessions (at home) more like a prayer. That means longer and more powerful.
I use to start and to end with “In the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy ghost.” as well as Our Father.

Thank you very much and God bless you, :)

Michael

Michael Im not sure if I understand you correctly but if you are asking tips on how to pray for others then look at some of the other prayer threads here from others and you will see it comes from the heart and you will get ideas I hope from others prayers.God bless you

Father please hear our prayers for Michael in his quest to pray for himself and pray for others.May he open his heart and mind and realise You hear him no matter what and understand the sincerity of his heart.Please bless Michael and grant him the request he seeks.Through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen

Lord Jesus, may everything I do begin with You,
continue with Your help,
and be done under Your guidance.
May my sharing in the Mass free me from my sins,
and make me worthy of Your healing.
May I grow in Your Love and Your service,
and become a pleasing offering to You;
and with You to Your Father.
May the mystery I celebrate help me
to reach eternal life with you

Heres a website listing many prayers:
yenra.com/catholic/prayers/

Also, if you go to a Catholic store, you can buy prayers cards.. That's how I usually pray a lot and the Catholic book of prayers has a lot of prayers in it.

Remember that when the disciples asked Jesus how to pray, He taught them the Lord’s prayer

Jesus taught us to call God “Father” meaning He wants us to have a trusting family relationship with God.

Our Father who art in heaven

He taught us to honour and praise God
"Hallowed be Thy name"

To pray for us to live as members of a loving and God-honoring community’
“Thy Kingdom come”

To pray for God’s will, in our lives and in the world
"Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"

For our daily needs
"Give us this day our daily bread."

And the importance of forgiveness, and we ask God not to forgive us if we don’t forgive others, therefore He is showing us that it is essential to be forgiving of everyone when we pray:
**“Forgive us our trespasses (sins) and we forgive those who trespass against us” **

Keep us safe from occasions of sin, and sin and danger
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil"

Therefore Jesus Christ who is God and Saviour taught that as part of our intercessory prayers, we must praise and honour God, **
pray for the spreading of the gospel of love, **
pray for His will to happen in our lives and in the world, we must not be unforgiving of anyone

We are also told in the Bible that a lot of words isn’t necessary in prayer, we must pray with sincerity of heart.

Dear Michael, regarding the last comment, Jesus said many words aren't necessary

"In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.
Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. This is how you are to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread; and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one. If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions. Matthew 6: 7-15

It's painful when our prayers aren't answered in the way we want and as soon as we want. However we just have to keep praying, praising and thanking God, and trying to live wisely and with love, and making the best efforts we can to acheive our goals, in accordance to the command to love God above all and others as self

God’s ways and times aren’t always ours. We don’t see as God sees, and we don’t always know the paths God will take us by and what we still have to learn, and even if danger will come if God gives us something we want but He knows something in it is harmful or it isn’t our time, or even that we need to work for some of it ourselves:

For the Lord said: “My thoughts are not your thoughts, my ways are not your ways…Yes, and the heavens are as high above the earth as my ways are above your ways, my thoughts above your thoughts.” [Isaiah 55:8-9]

Isaiah says, “I was thinking: ‘I have toiled in vain, I have exhausted myself for nothing.’ And all the while my cause was with God, my reward with my God.” [Isaiah 49:3-4] For “the Lord is not being slow to carry out His promises…but He is being patient with you all, wanting nobody to be lost and everybody to be brought to change his ways.” [2Peter 3:9] “To You, a thousand years are a single day, a yesterday now over, an hour of the night.” [Psalm 90:4]

Sometimes the following is true

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]“Why you do not have what you want is that you do not pray for it; when you pray and don’t get it, it is because you have not prayed properly, you have prayed for something to indulge your own desires.” [James 4:2-3]

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Bookman Old Style][FONT=Verdana]“There is no need to worry; but if there is anything you need, pray for it, asking God for it with prayer and thanksgiving, and that peace of God, which is so much greater than we can understand, will guard your hearts and your thoughts, in Christ Jesus.” [Philippians 4:6-7] “Everything will soon come to an end, so, to pray better, keep a calm and sober mind.” [1Peter 4:7][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]May God bless you and hear your prayers.
[/FONT]

Lord, please help Michael to pray to you like he would converse with an intimate friend - without formalities or intricate formulas; straight from his heart with love and affection. If he wants to begin or finish his intercessory prayers in Your Name or in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, like he does, that is a very good thing to do, as the saints have done this.

When on this forum I end my prayers with: "Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer," but I don't mean for it to be a rigid part of my prayer - it just flows naturally from my heart. May Michael pray to you with ease and in a way that is natural to him - in a way that flows naturally from his heart and in the way that he prefers. May he look to the prayers of the saints to see how they worded their thoughts into prayers, so maybe he'll see something he'd like to incorporate in to his own intercessory prayers, but please help him to pray in a way natural to him and from his own heart. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

:signofcross:
*"For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven,
it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy."
- Saint Therese of Lisieux

Saint Padre Pio **. . . the famed Holy Franciscan Stigmatist Priest of the 20th Century . . . called the **Holy Pray:gopray2:er of the Rosary his "weapon" . . .

[size=]*. . . :coffeeread: . . . *[/size]

[INDENT]HE PRAYED CONTINUALLY:
THE CROSS AND** THE ROSARY** - by Joseph A. Pelletier
"The great gifts by which Padre Pio is so well known were not substitutes for the normal working of God’s saving grace. Like all of us, he needed the regular channels of grace- the Sacraments, Scripture, the Mass and private pra:gopray2:yer. In fact, his need for prayer was very great, in direct proportion to the greatness of his mission and of the gifts received for the fulfillment of that mission. Pray:gopray2:er was for Padre Pio, as for us, the means of obtaining God’s help for avoiding sin and practicing the Christian virtues.

Padre Pio was chosen by God to teach and to remind the world of the redemptive value of Christian suffering. That is the divine purpose behind his mysterious, life-long illness, the long years of molestation by the devil, the tedious hours in the confessional and the** 50 years of atrocious pain in his hands and feet, his side, shoulders, and head*. God chose him to remind a world which had come to shudder at the very thought of pain and suffering that man is expected to share in the sufferings of Christ, after the manner of St. Paul: *“ In my own flesh I fill up what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ for the sake of His body, the Church”** (Col. 1:24. See also II Cor. 4:10-11).

Continual pray:gopray2:er was vital to Padre Pio because of the continual crosses that he was called to carry. This began in his very early youth. When he was only six years old, he would leave home early in the morning to go to the mountain to pasture two sheep owned by the family. He went with another child of his age. Rather than play, as his friend wanted to do, he made little crosses with twigs of wood and planted them in the ground. The remainder of the time he spent reciting the rosary. The cross-in many forms- and the rosary. These would be the two most representative things of Padre Pio’s life.

The rosary **was part and parcel of Padre Pio’s love for the mother of Jesus. He used this pray:gopray2:er to maintain and nourish his love of Mary. But he also used it as a **most powerful intercessory aid for obtaining from God the help that he needed for himself and that he sought for others.

The saintly Capuchin’s love of Mary and constant recourse to her through the rosary was based on the teaching and recommendations of the Church, for which he always had the greatest respect, also on his sense of faith, which was a gift of the Holy Spirit. His love for his heavenly mother and his confidence in the power of her intercession grew daily through what one priest has called, “the reality test”- the proof of experience.

As one would expect from someone so filled with the love of Mary and so convinced of the power of the rosary, Padre Pio recommended both to all who approached him and particularly to his “spiritual children” who sought his very special protection and help. He sent them all to the Mother of Jesus and told them to say the **rosary** every day.

Padre Pio’s example confirmed his words. He gave the example of private, personal use of the rosary, as well as public recitation of that pray:gopray2:er. Those who saw Padre Pio in what he called his free moments, as he walked from one place to another, will remember him holding the *rosary* to his breast and praying it as he walked. Father Eusebio of Castelpetroso, a Capuchin who was Padre Pio’s constant companion for five years, once decoyed him into revealing that **
+ on a particular day he had said 60 rosaries **of 15 decades. +

It must be remembered that Padre Pio slept at the most two or three hours a night, never continuously, and often he never slept at all. The precise number of *rosaries* he said each day, of course, is not the point. The point is that he prayed the *rosary *continually in his free moments.

It was one of Padre Pio’s joys to officiate at the recitation of the rosary and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament in the church. During the last years of his life when he could no longer officiate, he continued to attend faithfully, helped to the church by two brother Capuchins who supported him under each arm."[/INDENT][RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy St. Joseph+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy St. Francis+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Church+
[/RIGHT]

Dear brothers and sisters:

Thank you so much for your tips and warm-hearted words! In addition, thank you very much for your (personal) prayers! There have been things, which reminded me and things, which are even new to me. I’ve already prayed for you all! :)

Thank you so much once again, Love and God bless you :thumbsup:

Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.