Interested Protestant here

First of all thank you for reading my post.

I am a Protestant seminarian, but I feel a special calling to the Roman Catholic faith especially in the Eucharist.

There are many practical hurdles to my decision to join the Church. I am wondering if there are any former Protestant clergy out there that might be able to help me with my struggle.

Also, being a seminarian I have found the need to write about my struggles in the form of a blog. I’d appreciate it if you’d be willing to check it out and help guide me along the way.

protestantcatholic.blogspot.com/

I’m sure you’ll find plenty of good people on here to speak with. You may want to try looking into The Coming Home Network:

chnetwork.org/

They mainly deal with Protestant clergy who are interested in, or are in the process of converting. You’ll find no shortage there. It was founded by a convert.

God bless you!

Almost every ex-Protestant clergyman that I’ve heard on The Journey Home, found his way into the Church by way of reading early Church history, i.e., the Church Fathers. It’s the natural place to start. If Christ founded a Church, then it had to exist in the 1st century…

Could it be that God is calling you to be a catholic priest? Now, that would be cool! :thumbsup:

:smiley:

Welcome.
Former Prostestant preacher here.
Here’s my testimony:
thetrailhome.blogspot.com/2008/02/trail-home.html
:slight_smile:

Actually I have read his blog, and he is married. There have been very very rare occasions when they will ordain him as a priest even though he is married. If the Church feels that his true calling is to the priesthood, he may have just gotten married because he wasn’t in a place before where he could pursue his true calling. I don’t know the details regarding this, but I know about it because an old Catholic Answers Live radio program interviewed a married man who converted and was allowed to become a priest. It was either Catholic Answers Live, or The Journey Home. In either case, this is very rare. In his blog, he mentions that he feels he is called to the ordained ministry. If he couldn’t become a priest, he could definitely become a deacon. This wouldn’t be much different from what he would be as a protestant pastor anyway, because as a protestant pastor, he can’t hear confession, he can’t turn the bread and wine into the body, blood, sould and divinity of Jesus. As a deacon he could do more, because not only could he preach, but he could also give blessings. I don’t know if I’m missing anything. God Bless everyone!

I would really, really recommend Home Sweet Rome by Scott Hahn. He was in the exact same position as you find yourself now. Wishing you the very best…

A Catholic Church near me has a former Lutheran minister who converted and they allowed him to be ordained even with a family. They do allow it on some occasions for converts.

I’m reading it now, it is an awesome book for people looking into converting. Many answers within it.

I wish, but the calling has come to late. I am married and the priesthood is therefore not an option for me.

To be completely honest. That is the largest hurdle to my decision to join the Catholic Church

jjoelness, welcome to CAF!

I would second that website.

When God calls you, you know you want to do His Will. In my parish, all deacons are married. I don’t know all about the Eastern Rite of the Catholic church, but I believe the priests there are married.

God bless.

I just want to make clear…that I do not believe that all Protestant Churches are deficient in this regard. If I were to pursue my current course, I would still be an ordained member of the clergy.

I understand that the Catholic Church would not recognize my apostolic line, but I need to point out that apostolicity does not ensure proper faith anyway. And the Catholic Church recognizes Protestant Churches as “sources of grace.”

I am a strange Protestant in that I would encourage members of my congregation to confession, and I will proclaim that the Eucharist we serve is absolutely the Body and Blood of Christ.

The diaconate is still a good 10 years off for me. (You have to be 35, right?)

Also, I have some concern about pursuing the Eastern Rite. I don’t want to leave one group, not in full communion with the Church for another group that is not in full communion with the Church.

I understand that the recognize each others apostolic line, and each other’s sacraments. But, the Eastern Church don’t have the same view of the Pope as the Romans, right?

Is that a problem for those two groups?

I think you are confusing the Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church with the Eastern Orthodox church. The former is in full communion with Rome and the latter is not in communion with Rome at all.

Not that you should necessarily make this decision but most Eastern Catholic Churches allow married priests. They are in communion with the pope but they have certain disciplines which the west does not. The Melchites and the Ukranians I think do ordain some married men in America.

You are confusing the Eastern Catholics with the Eastern Orthodox. There are Catholics who are in communion with the pope and there are the Orthodox who are not. The Eastern Catholics may have a little difference in their views of the papacy than the Western Catholics but their views are perfectly fine. The Eastern Catholics are in communion with the pope. Not only do we recognize eachothers apostolic lines but we actually recognize eachother as the same One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Christ.

Eastern rite is an inaccurate term. It should be Eastern Churches. We are particular churches with our own theology, spirituality, and disciplines. We have our own heirarchy that is seperate from the latin heirarchy but is in full communion with the pope. All the particular Churches are equal as Vatican II said. A rite refers specifically to the liturgical tradition which is followed. The Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is the rite of the Byzantines and the Liturgy of St. James is the liturgical rite of the Syriac Catholics.

I am a Maronite Catholic myself.

“You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” :thumbsup:

EDIT: OK, saw that he’s married. I’ll just add my vote to checking out the Coming Home Network. They’ll tell you stories of how opportunities have opened up. For example, married former Pentecostal preacher Alex Jones has recently become a Deacon.

That does not make you a strange “protestant”, it makes you an Ad Fontes-one :slight_smile:

The ignoring of confession, and rejection of Holy Communion starts with the schwärmers, who were in direct oppostion to not only the Roman church, but the Reformation as well…

Scott Hahn “rome sweet home” is a good start.

and the coming home network has endless information and people to contact. you can even call them. look em up! I am a convert.

peace to you on your journey.

Uhhh, thats not being a strange Protestant - thats being a Protestant on the verge of converting to Catholicism. Praise God for that! If you truly believe the things above, how long do you really think you’d last in a Protestant church?

Im more interested in why being married represents an obstacle to your joining the Catholic Church. Do you not trust God to provide financial support if you follow Him, or are you concerned about the effect on your relationship with your wife or what? I assume you are aware of the Deaconate in the Catholic Church?

Another GREAT read is David Curries, Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic. He was a seminarian from a long line of Protestant Pastors. The book is written in love for his children so that when they are old enough they will understand why he converted.

I will include you in my prayers for the faithful

ibkc is right, jjoelness, the Eastern Rite is in communion with the Pope. They are allowed to be married, but the Latin Rite is not - it is the discipline that is difference. But if the priest’s wife dies, he is no longer allowed to get married. And I think, if correctly, the Eastern Rite bishop is not married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.