Interesting events at mass

So something strange has happened to me the last few times at mass and im not sure if it means anything. The first thing that happpend to me was during a homily while the priest was speaking suddenly my vision went dim is the only way to describe what happened and i started to get these tingling feelings in my arms. Ive heard that when you in the presence of God you get those sensations in your legs but this was in my arms. Then today i went for the vigil mass for tomorrow as i was leaving church as clear as i can hear someone talking to me i heard a voice saying happy holidays and remember St Anthony and there was no one around me at the time. Am i becoming a mystic? or is there some reasonable explanation that im not seeing?

“Happy Holidays”?
Watch out!
Sounds like the fella down under.
Hope you didn`t say:“Same to you, and many of them.”!

Seriously, a mystical experience is the last thing we should consider. Saint John of the Cross and other mystics have warned us about this. We should look at every other possible explanation first. Hope you don`t have a medical problem…

See your doctor about your blood pressure, it could affect you vision and arms too.
Have your hearing checked too while your at it. If you have to ask, no, your not a mystic.

Happy Hoildays isn’t some sort of curse. I just find it strange that the only place I’ve ever had these experinces is in church. Also in no way am I calling myself a mystic I was asking a question. Back to happy hoildays if it was still christmas I would agree with you but what does one say after christmas is over? And remember hoilday is a conjunction of holy day. I don’t think Satan would wish me happy anything In a church.

[quote="bostonboy23, post:4, topic:181555"]
Happy Hoildays isn't some sort of curse. I just find it strange that the only place I've ever had these experinces is in church. Also in no way am I calling myself a mystic I was asking a question. Back to happy hoildays if it was still christmas I would agree with you but what does one say after christmas is over? And remember hoilday is a conjunction of holy day. I don't think Satan would wish me happy anything In a church.

[/quote]

When you are in church you are more likely to be open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit since you are in the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. That being said, though, it is still best to put no importance on such experiences. They may be helpful to you, but they can become a snare if we come to expect such experiences. So, when we don't have them we can begin to doubt. I've read enough posts on CAF from people who say that's just what happened to them.

There's nothing wrong with the expression "happy holidays". And I too highly doubt Satan would use it just to trick you. Still, it's not exactly the kind of thing God would need to say to you just because you're in church. Our senses can deceive us, as can our minds. It's why we put our faith in the truth, not in personal experience/feelings.

Don't seek after spiritual consolations. Seek after God and let him decide if he wishes to give you any such consolations or not. It's perfectly possible to be a faithful Catholic without ever having any consolations of any kind. Many a true mystic has had no such experiences, and indeed never sought them or wanted them.

[quote="bostonboy23, post:1, topic:181555"]
is there some reasonable explanation that im not seeing?

[/quote]

I'd suggest that you should see a doctor first to make sure you don't have any health issue that caused the experience.

In the mean time, it is always good to ask St. Anthony to intercede for you. I remember St. Anthony holding Infant Jesus and prayed that you would hold baby Jesus in your arms too ... so yes, enjoy the Christmas season with love for Infant Jesus.

I do agree with getting bp checked it could even be due to incense at Mass. What does that mean? If you have to ask, no, your not a mystic…how do you qualify that answer. Makes me think of a snobbish butler I saw on the Robin Leach show who said “if you have to ask how much it costs, then you can’t afford it”…

Cant some of you folks take a joke?
Yeah, I
m warped; guilty as charged.

Della:
"When you are in church......"
Not always the case. Apparently, the false visionary John Leary receives most of his "revelations" while meditating in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
Julia Kim ...... revolting!

Bostonboy23 Best thing to do is speak to your priest about this.

Hi,
IF it was something from God, which it may well have been, you shouldn’t dwell on it because then you will only feel like God is only with you during ‘events’ like this instead of all the time. We are to have FAITH, most of the time that means when we don’t ‘feel’ God, or have some event happening in our lives, we still believe God is with us. Our faith isn’t about ‘feelings’ or supernatural events, it’s about serving God, even when we don’t ‘feel’ God.
Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just saying that sometimes God may give us a sign or feeling, but we shouldn’t dwell on it and think we are more than we are.
Myself, I’ve had lots of these ‘events’ and ‘feelings’ since my near death experience, which is what turned me to God in the first place. The first things I did was have my dr check me out to make sure it wasn’t something medical. When it became obvious that it was God in multiple ways of showing me, I got to a point for a little bit where I felt like if I wasn’t having some experience or feeling that God wasn’t with me, or was mad at me for something. It took another experience from God to show me that I have to have faith when I don’t feel God. Look at some of the Saints, they went through extended periods of time where they didn’t feel God and continued on in faith. :slight_smile:
Just FYI, out of my experiences, I’ve never audibly heard someone say something except once, a long time ago, and it was someone else’s experience that I was witness to. The audible instruction was not something like “happy holidays” It was instruction on leading this person to God and Jesus. It happened over 20 years ago. You would think that experience would have drawn me to God then, but I went about my merry way at the time in my late teens and just kept it in my heart until my near death experience, when everything became clear. What they say is true, you have to have God’s Grace to be drawn to Him.

[quote="tbcrawford, post:9, topic:181555"]
Bostonboy23 Best thing to do is speak to your priest about this.

[/quote]

I agree.
Someone else mentioned something about you BP too, get checked out by a dr as well, or at the very least, head to a walmart or something and check it yourself with one of the machines there. Normal BP should be at or below 120/80. The tingly feeling you've mentioned could very well be medical.

I think there is also a possibility that perhaps you were tired (our minds do play tricks on us when we are tired). I have an anxiety disorder and if I sit in a certain position and my arm falls asleep, I panic but then I remember it is my anxiety and I just need to sit in another position.

I do think however, if God was trying to tell you something, you would know in your heart beyond a shadow of a doubt it is God and you would feel joy in your heart. If you suspect it is the devil, simply pray ‘Dear Lord please keep the devil away for me’ And if it isn’t the devil, there is no harm in the pray.

Go easy on yourself, everyone second guesses experiences at one time or another.

CM

If the lighting is just right and I’m sort of tired, I get the sort of blur you are talking about.

I agree with the one poster who quote the mystic saint.

If it happens again I would see a doctor to rule out something neurological. This doesn’t sound like a “mystical” experience to me. . .especially if you heard “Happy Holidays.” :slight_smile:

Ask a spiritual director or priest about it.

sounds like a spooky guardian angle, enjoy it if you become closer to God by any experience you have. God Bless you and h ave a great New Year.:):):):):):slight_smile:

Blood flow can certainly effect your vision and also cause tingling. There may have been someone within voice range that you didn't see. I personally experienced a vision problem that was related to circulation. For me, my central vision became dark. It happened while I was lifting heavy weights. An optometrist told me that blood flow to the muscles involved reduced the blood flow to my optic nerve and reduced the efficiency of my macula. Go figure?

----------------OR-------------------

You may be experiencing something from God. It it were me, I would pay close attention to things and see what else happens.

St. John of the Cross recommends using any supernatural experiences only to grow in love of God and then discarding them immediately, not thinking about them or paying attention to them. Just keep your eyes on God (if your vision doesn’t get too blotted out :p;)).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.