Interesting illogic of the LOTH

When the original Latin LOTH was published in 1971-1972, it contained a major flaw that was corrected in the second (1985-1987) edition.

On many Sundays of the year, the antiphons for the gospel canticles were irrelevant to the day’s liturgy. E.g., on a typical Sunday the antiphon for First Vespers was from the readings of Year A, the antiphon at Lauds from Year B, etc…meaning in any given year 2 out of 3 of the antiphons were irrelevant to the day’s liturgy.

This flaw was corrected, as noted, in the second edition.

But there is an unfortunate problem with the Christmas Office for the USA and other areas where the Epiphany is moved and sometimes falls on January 7 or 8.

Originally, the rubric for those countries was that if Epiphany came on the 7th or 8th, the Baptism was omitted, and Ordinary Time started on Monday.

John Paul II changed that rubric so that the Baptism could be observed on the Monday, and OT start on Tuesday. However, a little rubrical problem was missed.

In the Latin edition, for such countries, on January 6, the first reading is the first portion of the (longer) reading assigned to the Baptism. The second reading, with its responsory, is lifted wholly from the Baptism.

This made SOME sense…if you were going to lose the Baptism, at least you used its readings. I say SOME sense because it would be January 6, before Epiphany, and yet the second responsory starts out “TODAY (the heavens were opened)”…an unfortunate anticipation, since it wouldn’t be Epiphany/Baptism yet when you sang that responsory.

But…now that the Baptism would be observed on Monday…both readings will be repeated twice in the span of three days…an oddity, to be sure.

Of course this could all have been avoided by leaving the Epiphany where it belongs, on January 6. Christmas is the briefest season. In the traditional usage it always ends on the 13th. In the Novus Ordo, it can end as early as the 8th…a loss of the better part of a week of meditation on the Christmas/Epiphany message.

Please forgive me, but I’m not sure what it is you want to discuss here. I mean, what can any of us lay people do about it? :confused:

WE lay people have a right to discuss liturgy.

It’s an academic problem for me, of course, since I just use the older Office, which doesn’t have these problems.

Of course we can discuss the liturgy, but just what it is you want to discuss eludes me–no doubt my fault. :o

And it’s no problem for me, either because I just use Magnificat magazine (which I find much simpler to use) and adapt my Morning and Evening Prayer if necessary. I have to do that anyway when I want to celebrate the more obscure Carmelite saints whose feast days I keep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.