Interesting, no clapping at the end of Mass - Lent

Interesting, our music minister announced at the beginning of Lent requesting that the congregation not clap in appreciation of the music at the end of Mass. “Please leave the sanctuary in silence in reflection of Lent…” Shock!!! Normally, we have a band, Dan Schulte show tunes, and Mr. Caruso booming out the Gloria (in which he chopped up the liturgical word to fit the melody).

Not trying to channel Thomas Day here, but the Lent experience at my Parish is wonderful this year. Anyone else with the same experience?:smiley:

Well, yes, but it’s not just for Lent. Thank heaven, it is usually that way here.:thumbsup:

There should never be clapping at mass. Ever.
:o

Even when we have someone announcing a retreat people clap, come on guys lol

my priest explained this the other day. clapping of just saying thank yu folr a particular ministry. it’s to show respect, not admire a performance or something like that. i personally don’t really have a problem with it. but i can understand how some may feel uncomfortable

If there should be clapping at the mass I should leave the church.

In his book “The Spirit of the Liturgy,” Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Now Pope Benedict XVI) wrote: “Whenever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment” (Page 198).

:o

I’m glad to hear this because it’s a good beginning. Of course there should never be clapping, but things don’t happen overnight.

I’ve always gotten a kick out of parishes that try to “go traditional” for Christmas, or Easter, or Lent. It’s an implicit acknowledgement that “going traditional” makes for a more reverent atmosphere and is more conducive to holy reflection. But it’s also an implicit statement that they would rather not have that reverent atmosphere and holy reflection most of the time.

Last year, our Priest admonished the congregation to be respectful of the sanctuary and not have loud conversations in the Narthex. To no avail.

In confession one time, the Priest suggested that if something was good enough to give up for Lent, it should be good enough to give up all year long.

Spot on!

Pax Christi!

Your “Spot on!” is spot on!

One can always go up to the musicians or choir and compliment or thank them, face to face, after Mass. Sometimes I receive compliments for my efforts as a lector, and I’ve been known to thank musicians for a favorite hymn or a special arrangement.

Sometimes, after Confession, I thank the priest for being s priest.

Applause belongs in auditoriums.

God bless.

Brillant!

Our Priest hates to go to a family’s house for dinner. Why? “The conversations always ends up with complaints about this or about that.” That’s sad. No wonder they are gun shy. That’s why compliments in person are so moving and appreciated. Unsolicited compliments.

Some of the folks in this forum know me as a complainer. Very much an anti-modernist and critic of our music ministery. Crept out in my opening post. Apologies. I prefer now to accenuate the positive and what’s good about our faith. I know, I know. Compliments to facilitate (manipulate) change is not the intent. Genuine compliments are stand alone.

The parishes I have attended don’t ever have clapping at any time of the year for musicians. My main parish has a faithful couple who has been playing organ and cantoring for 30+ years. We had an appreciation party for them for the 30th year. That’s an appropriate expression of gratitude, not turning the church into a recital hall.

Applause can also be an expression of praise directed to God. Check out the references to clapping hands in the Psalms.

The only time I have clapped in the church is when the pope arrives or leave.

There should NEVER be clapping at the end of Mass. You don’t applaud the servants in the Master’s house.

No, but you thank them.

Exactly. All of us in the schola are thanked and told we sounded great (:p) by members of the congregation which goes a lot further. No one in the schola, nor those still praying, nor those Adoring the Blessed Sacrament after Mass would EVER appreciate applause.

I don’t know if you are referring to Dan Schulte or Dan Schutte. We don’t have any Schulte songs in our gigantic “We Celebrate” hymnal, but there are quite a few Dan Schutte songs. From what I’ve been able to find online, Dan Schulte is a musician from Oregon who doesn’t write Christian songs at all. Perhaps I have the wrong Dan Schulte.

It’s extremely important, when referring to musicians or anyone, to try to use their correct name. Don’t you and others agree that it would be despicable to start rumors about or undermine the wrong person? How unjust, especially for Christians! People deserve to be called by their correct name, especially when we are criticizing them.

At any rate, everyone, please show some respect for Dan Schulte on this, of all days, and say some prayers if you think of it. In my online search, I learned that yesterday was the one year anniversary since his entire family was killed and critically injured in a car crash caused by DUI. Here’s the link and it’s sad: mynorthwest.com/11/2481340/Dan-Schulte-marks-oneyear-anniversary-of-Seattle-DUI-crash-that-destroyed-family

If Dan Schulte has stuck with his wife and child after this tragedy, he can’t be all that bad.

One more thing–who is this “Mr. Caruso”? The incomparable Enrico Caruso has been dead for years. Do you really have a “Caruso” who sings in your parish? What a cool name for a cantor! And does he sing as brilliantly as Enrico Caruso? You are so privileged to have an opera singer in your parish.

Seriously, is it really charitable to use a satirical name when referring to a real, live, Christian brother in your parish? Has anyone ever called you a name in an attempt to ridicule you? Did it hurt you? Do you think that cantor would be hurt if he saw this post and knew that you were referring to him? Would you use this name to his face?

Why not use his real name, and get to know him, and discover for yourself his motives in cantoring?

I can understand and respect the reasons why Catholics don’t believe that using applause as a thank-you tool after Mass is inappropriate. I beg them to keep in mind that “after Mass” is NOT part of the liturgy.

But I can’t understand why Catholics feel that it is OK to emulate the worldly “critics” and use hyperbole and “clever” innuendo when referring to their parish musicians and music. :frowning: Joseph Ratzinger, in that one oft-quote passage, denounces applause in the liturgy. I’m guessing that in his vast storehouse of wise writing, he has written much more denouncing the “spirit of meanness” in the Church.

We need to realize that when we channel hatred or meanness, we stifle the work of the Holy Spirit. If we replace that meanness with pure love and charity, we will see the good results in our parishes–hey, perhaps people will stop applauding and actually go up to the musicians and say “thank you” in person! And hey, perhaps more of a variety of music will be used that will appeal to even the most traditional of Catholics! A little love goes a long way, and musicians respond when people demonstrate LOVE to them.

Dan Schutte- stand corrected and clarified.
Caruso - Read Why Catholics Can’t Sing- The Culture of Catholicism and the Triumph of Bad Taste. You’ll understand exactly who that is.
Music Ministry- Have complimented and had good debate with our guy. No sniper attacks here

Cat has a lot of good things to say and should be headed. Sometimes we may be right about something but our attitudes can do more harm than good. If we need to correct people at times , we should do it with charitableness and by good example, not snobbish example.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.