Interfaith marriages

Hello,

To those in interfaith marriages, how long have you been married and how do you make it work?

To the Catholic Party:

• When do you attend Church? Does your spouse ever go with you to church?
  • Do you attend your spouse's church as well? For example: you attend your Catholic Church on a Saturday and on Sunday you will also attend your husband's church? Is this set-up too hard to keep up, when there are kids involved? Or is it better not to go with each other and only go with each other on special occassions?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Over 20 years. My spouse does go to church with us, although not every Sunday. He works lots of weekends; sometimes, we go to the Mass he can go to, sometimes we don't, sometimes there is no such thing. (Our parish doesn't have a Sunday night Mass, and our kids like to go to our parish.)

He is baptized but wasn't brought up in any particular denomination and doesn't have a church. He teaches the kids the Catholic faith: that is, not "this, Catholic Dogma X, is what the Church teaches" but "this, Catholic Dogma X, is what is true."

I think we have one of the best possible cases, but it is still hard. I don't think I could stand a tug-of-war over what the kids are taught, though.

I had a boyfriend of sorts in college and went to both his church and to Mass. Let's just say that think the weekly comparison encourages people who do it to become church critics. I don't think that's a good thing. (I'm not even sure it would be a good thing if both churches were Catholic parishes, btw.)

I'll be honest, my different denominational views before I was Catholic did contribute to some problems early in our marriage. I was a little more "liberal" and well, that didn't work out so well. I would sometimes go to church with my husband and other times to go my previous church by myself.

I was always attracted to the CC, even for years, but never made the choices to become part of the Church for various reasons. I was mostly torn and this didn't help my relationship with my husband. Would it have continued to be okay somewhat? Maybe...at the time I was very firm in my beliefs and my husband was firm with his.

Maybe my example is not the best since i was always attracted to the Catholic religion. I was orthodox when i met my husband. We never had a problem. We married Catholic. I was going with him to mass and he was going to mass with me. After 2 months after our marriage i went to the Catholic priest and asked him what i have to do to change. It was the best decision of my life.

I am not in an interfaith marriage but likely will be in the future. My boyfriend is not a Catholic. He is a believer in Christ but he is not baptized yet either. He attends a more liberal church.

We've been married 35 years.

The best gift DH gave me, early in our relationship, was coming to Midnight Mass with me on our first Christmas Eve together. We haven't missed a Midnight Mass since unless he was working nights.

Long before we got married we had discussed what would happen with children and he had said they would be raised Catholic, no questions asked. He learned to say the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary in French so that he could help the children with their prayers. He always attended Mass if I needed him there to be with the children while I exercised one of my ministries and he was there to support the kids whenever they were preparing for or receiving a sacrament.

Today he is part of our parish choir. While he's not there every Sunday, he does attend fairly often. There is still no indication that he has any intention of converting but he hasn't attended his own Church in years.

[quote="annie321, post:1, topic:220064"]
Hello,

To those in interfaith marriages, how long have you been married and how do you make it work?

To the Catholic Party:

• When do you attend Church? Does your spouse ever go with you to church?
  • Do you attend your spouse's church as well? For example: you attend your Catholic Church on a Saturday and on Sunday you will also attend your husband's church? Is this set-up too hard to keep up, when there are kids involved? Or is it better not to go with each other and only go with each other on special occassions?

Thanks in advance for responding.

[/quote]

We have been married 11 years and it is not working. :rolleyes:

I take our kids to chuch every weekend. My husband would go if I asked..but honestly, he ruins the whole expericence for me. He has no desire to be there and the last time, I saw him glaring at the priest (have no idea what that was about?):shrug: If you ask my husband his religion, he'll tell you he is Prespertarian (sp?) (did i just butcher that word,lol)? But he knows absolutely nothing about it. Ugh..can you tell I'm frustrated.

At any rate, I would not advice marrying outside your faith..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.