Interfaith meeting at Assisi a good thing?

Was the Interfaith meeting at Assisi held by John Paul II a good thing? Did it reinforce Catholic dogma or weaken it? Was there anything inherently blasphemous about it?

I believe it was a good thing. Nothing scandalous came out of it, as far as I know.

I do not believe that the Interfaith Gatherings at Assisi were “good” things at all. Whatever the intentions of the Holy Father in calling these gatherings, it must be noted that religious leaders from every religion under the sun, including voodooists and snake worshipers, came to Assisi and prayed to their false gods on Catholic property. That itself is outrageously scandalous. No issue, whether it be “peace” or any other issue, should be an excuse to invite people onto Catholic property and allow them there to pray to false gods. I’m sure JPII meant well, but it was an egregious error in judgement on his part, an error he repeated in 2002. I hope Benedict XVI will not follow suit in this regard. Love, Jaypeeto3

[quote=Jaypeeto3]I do not believe that the Interfaith Gatherings at Assisi were “good” things at all. Whatever the intentions of the Holy Father in calling these gatherings, it must be noted that religious leaders from every religion under the sun, including voodooists and snake worshipers, came to Assisi and prayed to their false gods on Catholic property. That itself is outrageously scandalous. No issue, whether it be “peace” or any other issue, should be an excuse to invite people onto Catholic property and allow them there to pray to false gods. I’m sure JPII meant well, but it was an egregious error in judgement on his part, an error he repeated in 2002. I hope Benedict XVI will not follow suit in this regard. Love, Jaypeeto3
[/quote]

On the contrary, Pope Benedict XVI chose to meet with Muslim leaders after World Youth Day at a separate site, and not to pray to “the same” God in a Catholic Church.

I too believe that JPII’s actions will bear good fruit… but it was also confusing to let it appear that we have the same God as the Hindu’s, Muslims, or Pagans. (We know we do, cuz there is only one God… but “they” do not actually worship God)

i think it was a good thing! one of the muslim leaders, who attended it,stayed longer than he expected and felt the presence of peace all over the place!i dont know though,if he converted to RCC.

[quote=twiztedseraph]Was the Interfaith meeting at Assisi held by John Paul II a good thing? Did it reinforce Catholic dogma or weaken it? Was there anything inherently blasphemous about it?
[/quote]

Some kind of meeting might be desirable - but what happened was utterly disgraceful.

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## Some kind of meeting might be desirable - but what happened was utterly disgraceful. ##
[/quote]

What happened exactly? Or could you provide a link about what happened?

[quote=Ahimsa]What happened exactly? Or could you provide a link about what happened?
[/quote]

for much detail, you might try www.catholicintl.com and browse that site for a lot on the 2 Assisi meetings.

Scroll down this page and you’ll find good articles…

matt1618.freeyellow.com/TRADIT.html

[quote=Jaypeeto3]I do not believe that the Interfaith Gatherings at Assisi were “good” things at all. Whatever the intentions of the Holy Father in calling these gatherings, it must be noted that religious leaders from every religion under the sun, including voodooists and snake worshipers, came to Assisi and prayed to their false gods on Catholic property. That itself is outrageously scandalous. No issue, whether it be “peace” or any other issue, should be an excuse to invite people onto Catholic property and allow them there to pray to false gods. I’m sure JPII meant well, but it was an egregious error in judgement on his part, an error he repeated in 2002. I hope Benedict XVI will not follow suit in this regard. Love, Jaypeeto3
[/quote]

I disagree.

For some reason, some believers seem to think that for those who do not believe as we do to worship with us is scandalous, but I can’t see that in the Word of God. We are not talking about the desecration of a church or the Eucharist, and if it is wrong for this to happen then perhaps we need to reconsider things in the light of the New Testament, where Jesus ate and spoke to such as these The Samaritan Woman, and then the woman with the sick child…the 10 lepers…the Roman centurian. All of these people were in the wrong faith…or none at all.

I wonder where some folks would draw the lines for other people to enter seeking God. I think Fatima is a good place and I believe that those who went there have been and will be confronted again and again by the Holy Spirit as He calls them to the fullness of truth.

There should be room in the house of Our Lord for Miraculous Conversions.

Are we really of so little faith?
Pax vobiscum,

i hated it. Pope John Paul was a great man. who truely wanted peace amongst all men. And i truely believe he belived or KNEW that the catholic church is the only way to God. But i still hated it. For the simple fact is that There is only one God. no sub gods. no ooga booga spirits who have the body of a rat or what ever. And the only way that we can be with the one True God is through the church. And if we go praying with witch doctors or other such pagans. we are sending a confusing message to the people who matter most other catholics, espeacily the youth. it’s telling them that its ok that WE pray to other gods. Sure if we want to respect them go ahead but don’t do it at was is basicly a scared site. Don’t pray with them with their gods. dont give them same honour that we should reserve to the one and only true God. Lets get back to basics people.

They were praying for peace NOT worshiping. There is a great difference. The motive was good. It was wierd though. We give it all to God to do whatever His Holy Will desires.

st julie

[quote=st julie]They were praying for peace NOT worshiping. There is a great difference. The motive was good. It was wierd though. We give it all to God to do whatever His Holy Will desires.

st julie
[/quote]

This is a very good point. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.