Interfaith prayer services in a Catholic Church?

I used the “search” function and didn’t come up with a thread that addressed my question; my apologies if I’m beating a dead donkey.

I visited a Catholic chapel in my diocese that is open for interfaith services, and I’m under the impression that this is not limited to Christian denominations (I could have misunderstood, though). Are there circumstances where it is acceptable to use the sanctuary for non-Catholic events? It feels very wrong. :frowning:

On that note, there will be an interfaith prayer service at my parish’s church this Saturday, to commemorate Roe v. Wade. I do not know if this is a service that will be held in the sanctuary itself, but I got the impression that it would be. What is the proper response in this situation? I haven’t been around long enough to know what is normal yet.

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:1, topic:311465"]
I used the "search" function and didn't come up with a thread that addressed my question; my apologies if I'm beating a dead donkey.

I visited a Catholic chapel in my diocese that is open for interfaith services, and I'm under the impression that this is not limited to Christian denominations (I could have misunderstood, though). Are there circumstances where it is acceptable to use the sanctuary for non-Catholic events? It feels very wrong. :(

On that note, there will be an interfaith prayer service at my parish's church this Saturday, to commemorate Roe v. Wade. I do not know if this is a service that will be held in the sanctuary itself, but I got the impression that it would be. What is the proper response in this situation? I haven't been around long enough to know what is normal yet.

[/quote]

Perhaps this is a special event for the week of Christian unity? I know that during this week (non-Eucharistic) services are being held in different churches on a cross-denominational basis to mark the week.

So long as it does not interfere with the regular set mass times in the sanctuary, it is perfectly allowable. It's people coming together participating in Gods work.

It is allowed.
For example, in the Newtown tragedy, the local Catholic church hosted both Holy Mass and interfaith prayer services.

Thanks! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.