Interfaith scripture study, should Catholics participate?

Please discuss and tell me what people think of this forum.

alexandrianforum.org/

Should Catholics listen to these studies?

There are bible studies in the parishes already…so no.

That was my thought as well, but according to a couple of my friends I’m being close-minded and judgmental. I don’t see the value of supporting a non-Catholic Bible study in which there will be beliefs that are taught that are contrary to the Faith.

I think it would be risky. We believe the Bible supports the perpetual virginity of Mary, the Real Presence in the Eucharist, etc. Protestants do not and they point to their own scriptures to back up their own theories although in their case it’s generally that the english translation lost some of the meaning from the original greek, such as how they translate “adelphos/adelphoi” into “brother, sister” when it can also mean cousin, kinsman, near relative, uncle, nephew, even someone from the same town. You could try to avoid discussion on some scripture that may lead to conflicts, but then you’re not getting the most out of your study if you do that. Part of the importance of the study of scripture is going to be to understand the truth that is the Catholic Church. Studying with people who think that Catholics are wrong, or even heretical or even not Christian is probably not helpful.

Exactly. I looked at the study courses. They give short shrift to the Early Church Fathers and spend a lot of time studying pagan philosophers up until Martin Luther. To ignore the ECF’s is to ignore the first 1500 years of Christianity. Steer clear of this course, and find a Catholic one if you want to study. Protestant bible studies will ignore the deuterocanon also.

I read where it showed what churches are affiliated with the study. Because they are not Catholic, it will definitely not be a Catholic Bible Study.

The Jeff Cavins “Great Adventure” Bible Studies are excellent Catholic Bible studies!

They have now grown to be in three Catholic parishes in our area, and I hope to see it other parishes soon.

Sounds like they are being judgmental.

1 Corinthians 10:22-23 "All things are lawful for me: but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful for me: but all things do not edify."

My former Baptist employer invited me to her women’s bible group to study Psalm 91. One was a former Jehovah Witness. When they found out I was Catholic, the group disbanded.

We had a Protestant evangelical series from Beth Moore going in our parish and now we are only having Catholic based ones with the catechism, church councils and saints for reference.

The group actually opted to stop having Bible study rather than have a Catholic in their midst? That’s amazing…and sad.

Only if you have the opportunity to represent the Catholic perspective

Thanks, AKDee…God bless you…

It an excellent opportunity for evangelization…but some t who are are not well catechised or weak in faith, would probably think it was a good idea for themselves to stay away.

Not everywhere there aren’t. When I was in RCIA last year, we were told that there were no Bible studies in the parish but maybe we would be called to start one. . . . :shrug:

Edwin

In my parish the Bible study occurs during the day on weekdays, when I’m at work. They said the same thing to me when I mentioned that, that they’d be happy to let me start a weeknight study and they’d give me all the materials to do it. That’s not really a bad answer. Someone has to step up.

But telling prospective converts that it may be their job to do that says something about how important Bible study already is, or isn’t, doesn’t it?

Anyway, I don’t know why the OP calls this study “interfaith.” It’s pretty clearly Christian. I think the word he may be looking for is “non-denominational.”

And surely whether Catholics should participate or not would depend on the content and approach?

Edwin

Before I converted, I participated in a Bible study with one other non-Catholic, four former Catholics, and the Catholic husband of one of the former Catholics. The former Catholics saw it as their mission to convert this man away from any specifically Catholic beliefs and to their church, although he was not poorly catechized. The question of authority is the biggest difference between Catholic and non-Catholic Christians in this setting. Unless you have other Catholics to support you and the other participants are open to at least hearing the Church’s position I’d be cautious.

I once took an SDA Bible study because I had an SDA friend at the time. I didn’t end up SDA. But nevertheless found some value in learning about others. So I don’t know why Catholics who profess to be so certain of their faith would be fearful unless they aren’t as certain as they profess.

Thank you for the replies. Perhaps I shouldn’t have labeled it “interfaith” however not all “Christians” are Christians. Look at Mormonism, Seventh-Day Adventist, etc.

What I’m trying to understand is why Catholics would need this resource? I can’t come up with a good reason…can someone else?

it is best to study the Bible with other like minded Catholics so everyone is on the same page.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.