Intergenerational demons

I heard from someone that your guardian angel may be looking after generations of your family so they know your strengths and weaknesses. Likewise there are demons who look after generations of your family and knowing family weaknesses will have certain temptations that they use - for example alcoholism runs for generations in families and the demon assigned to your family knows this.

Is there any scriptural/catechetical basis for this?

TIA

Well I don’t know how authoritative it is, but Maria Simma was apparently told that every person has their own guardian angel who goes with them to purgatory and heaven. As for demons, we know less about them; to some extent alcoholism in families could stem from the children seeing their parents drinking and not developing the right attitude towards drink.

Hilary,

This site may help:

healingoffamilies.com/

In the book The Rite by Matt Baglio, I think I remember something about how persons who have been possessed have often been children of devil worshippers. But that may not apply here.

We only have 1 guardian angel, but they are eternal, I’m sure they know everything about our family tree gone before us.

Bible: ‘The sins of the father are punishable as far as the fourth generation.’
Deliverance people have found:
If your family tree is in purgatory, members of the current family tree may have to carry crosses or suffering to get them out of there.

Evil Ancestral spirits exist. If a seriously bad sin was committed in the family tree and not confessed, forgiven, that spirit gains access to the family tree bloodline. Such as unforgiveness, anger, etc… Because sin must be atoned for,

Generational curses do exist. If a family actually had a curse out on them it will spread down the generations until it is delivered by someone in the deliverance ministry, or specific prayers to remove it.

larrycummins.ie/
Click on the red book on the right, and the blue book to download his life story, it is quite stunning. He works in the deliverance ministry.

Amazon.com: the following downloadable ebooks

Maria Simma’s book on the souls of purgatory

‘The Miracle Ship’ by Brian O’ Hare, (available on kindle or hardback), if you download the kindle programme free for your computer you will be able to read it on your computer, or phone

By Michael H Brown '‘Life Missions Family Healing’ ’

stella Davis (author) book; ‘Spiritual Warfare,’

[quote="
]Evil Ancestral spirits exist. If a seriously bad sin was committed in the family tree and not confessed, forgiven, that spirit gains access to the family tree bloodline. Such as unforgiveness, anger, etc… Because sin must be atoned for,

Generational curses do exist. If a family actually had a curse out on them it will spread down the generations until it is delivered by someone in the deliverance ministry, or specific prayers to remove it.

[/quote]

Would you please cite any Church documents or Catechism passages that teach or support the above declarations.

I would dispute the “have to”.
Please note, I’m not denying the benefit of offering up sufferings for souls in purgatory - just the assertion that such offerings must be made by current family members in order for the soul to be released. What is the basis for making such a statement?

Evil Ancestral spirits exist. If a seriously bad sin was committed in the family tree and not confessed, forgiven, that spirit gains access to the family tree bloodline. Such as unforgiveness, anger, etc… Because sin must be atoned for,

Would you please cite any Church documents or Catechism passages that teach the above declarations.

I agree with you friend! About the ‘have to,’

Just that I’ve read some catholic books where the line of the bible ; ‘The sins of the father are punishable up to the 4th generation .’
As being applied to the souls in purgatory to meaning that it’s up to the living to repair through prayer or mass or good deeds or suffering, the sins of the souls of purgatory,
(Which can be done by anyone, or the family tree often prays for the soul),
Would that be orthodox belief? Or correct?

Also:
God told Moses to tell the Israelites in the Bible on keeping the commandments, ‘I’m offering you a blessing and a curse. A blessing if you should keep the commandments, and a curse if you should break them.’
Also it says elsewhere in the bible God saying; ‘a curse lasts for 7 generations, a blessing lasts countless generations.’
Is this not applied to the souls in purgatory, that a soul who broke the commandments has left good works or suffering to be made in reparation to God to be released from purgatory, but it’s left to the generations after them to pray, offer masses, etc… To release them?

I’m open to being corrected on my understanding :slight_smile:

Very interesting.

I only have a few minutes right now, so this will be brief. I’ll give a few points to consider and will check later to see if you still have any questions.

The curses given in Exodus had to do with what would happen to them here on earth – eg. if disobeyed God’s commands, they would suffer (eg. be conquered by enemies, crops fail, drought, sickness, …). And, of course, those things could affect their descendants for quite some time. All you have to do is consider how often the Israelites were later under foreign rule.
The curses were not about judgement and punishment of souls in the next life, especially the souls of their descendants being judged for actions they didn’t do. We are all judged for our actions after death, but the “curses” in Scripture are not in reference to that judgment.

It appears that at some later point, the Israelites themselves misunderstood God’s meaning – and God stepped in to correct them. Please read all of Ezekiel chapter 18. Here are just a couple verses from Ezekiel 18.
19 "Yet you say, `Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the father?’ When the son has done what is lawful and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live.
20 The soul that sins shall die. **The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself. **

Read more: ewtn.com/ewtn/bible/search_bible.asp#ixzz3II7ELKTS

NO.

Intergenerational demons? Don’t think there is Biblical literature on this or angels for that matter. If each of us have our personal guardian, intergenerational angels seems unnecessary. Even if God recycle angels to look after newer generations but that would still require increases in the angel population to allocate to an ever increasing world population. Anyway all this is not important as I take it that God knows what to do. He has unlimited resources after all!

I have read previously the 2 sides one arguing for intergeneration curses in the OT up to 7 generations vs NT clean slate upon baptism.

Personally I do lean towards the NT clean slate position otherwise it negate the meaning of baptism itself i.e. new birth. The OT is being “superceded” by baptism for all (Jews and non-Jews). The 7 generation curses in the OT appears to pertain to Jews only. When the NT is in effect, continuing with the 7 generational curses seems not applicable when many were from outside the Jewish community. I assume OT rituals and Mosaic laws are not applicable to Gentiles. After all, the Jews were prohibited to marry outside their tribe in those times. If baptism doesn’t remove generational curses, it would amount to a conditional/defective rebirth wouldn’t it?

Deut. goes to the 10th generation:

Deu 23:2 - A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Deu 23:3 - An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

What I found interesting as a member of AA and thinking on heredity…

I came to wonder about ‘spiritual heredity’ because there are many AAers who got sober before they had children. Their children had never seen them drunk or drinking - but still the children became alcoholics or drug addicts (lots of them).

I also came to see that alcoholics weren’t special - the ‘hole in the soul’ is filled in many ways in society - workaholism, food, sex, hoarding, children (and then the ‘emptiness’ is back for ‘empty nest syndrome’. Or someone has children to ‘fulfill themselves’ but discovers that a child (or more) doesn’t quit fill that bill), ‘love’, extreme hobbies, video gaming, etc… Some try to escape the ‘lurking evil’ by thrill seeking. Others indulge in the evil vicariously. And some get tired of running from it and give into it in criminal activities and other depravities. Today’s thinking, anyway.

The ‘spiritual malady’ part of AA addresses the ‘hole in the soul’, the ‘God-sized hole’, that can only be filled spiritually. Seems that if the parents don’t become ‘spiritually filled’, then the children still have the similar-sized hole-in-the-soul. Choice of ‘filler’ is, perhaps, exposure (nature and nurture by parents/society). My mother had two alcoholic parents but wouldn’t touch a drop of alcohol - her primary ‘filler’ was food instead. Substitution. (My working observations, not fact, of course.)

AA speaks of spiritual deficiency and spiritual bankruptcy. Perhaps Grace gets us sober (or out of another addiction), but if we don’t continue to do 4-5th Steps (regular confession with a twist), then ‘full spiritual Healing’ does not occur.

Ezekiel 18.
20 The soul that sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

To me, I am not responsible for my father’s or mother’s sins (expressed or those that remain hidden in them) - but I am responsible for detecting the evil within myself that was ‘passed on’ and became my cross. The heart that is deceitful beyond all measure.

Children are mirrors of the parents, I’ve heard; we are all mirrors for each other. The heart of the serial killer has the same root of bitterness expressed that once lay hidden from me while I was busy thinking I was ‘better than’.

What I refuse to see within myself cannot be Healed. Digging up and handing over my own evil done (and evil inclinations in thought/word) is the deal, as I see it today. A ‘living sacrifice’.

Andrew Womack once said, “The problem with living sacrifices is that they keep crawling off the altar.” :slight_smile:

P.S. For what it’s worth…I was baptized as an infant and born to two Catholic parents. Clean slate? Not from my experience. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.